• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about the Rhino (Super Hornet)

Navy91

super hornets

A few points to consider re the supers. they were not designed as tankers - they were designed as multi role fighters. tanking is a collateral capability. Bottom line - the super can do everything well, but it can't do anything as well as an aircraft custom designed for that purpose. We just can't afford the cost of single role aircraft. Thirty years ago, Naval Aviation was running A-4, A-6, A-7, F-4, and F-14 aircraft. Today the only tactical aircraft on deck for many carriers is the F-18. Soon as the S-3 / F-14 shutdown is complete, it will be the only tacair around. Bottom line, the Nav needs to save $ by going to fewer airframes. Cuts down on training costs, maintenance, etc. I think it is clear that in the future, there will be fewer NFO's in the fleet - Prowlers going from 3 to 1 per AC as they replace with F-18G.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy91 said:
A few points to consider re the supers. they were not designed as tankers - they were designed as multi role fighters. tanking is a collateral capability. Bottom line - the super can do everything well, but it can't do anything as well as an aircraft custom designed for that purpose. We just can't afford the cost of single role aircraft. Thirty years ago, Naval Aviation was running A-4, A-6, A-7, F-4, and F-14 aircraft. Today the only tactical aircraft on deck for many carriers is the F-18. Soon as the S-3 / F-14 shutdown is complete, it will be the only tacair around. Bottom line, the Nav needs to save $ by going to fewer airframes. Cuts down on training costs, maintenance, etc. I think it is clear that in the future, there will be fewer NFO's in the fleet - Prowlers going from 3 to 1 per AC as they replace with F-18G.

Of course money is the primary factor, but deck mutliple was as well. Getting rid of the War Hoover created deck space and losing an entire squadron of personnel freed up some rack space and eased some other hotel/habitability issues.

A6-EA6

None
Navy91 said:
I think it is clear that in the future, there will be fewer NFO's in the fleet - Prowlers going from 3 to 1 per AC as they replace with F-18G.

They cut the inputs for Prowler NFOs last year in anticipation of the EA-18G. Won't see much of an impact in the fleet with regular resignation levels and fewer guys coming in the door.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
xmid said:
I didnt really mean that hornets were to good to do it or something, I meant that I dont understand why the navy doesnt find/build an airframe that could hold alot more fuel and be better for the role. I'm pretty sure that the answer comes down to money. I dont even know how much fuel the hornet can carry, can it refuel more than a couple planes on in one flight?

If it happens, the C-2B will supposedly be able to give gas.....and receive it. Tanker of the future for the carriers perhaps.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
F-22 and JHMCS

TurnandBurn55 said:
Is it true that the F(not A)-22 had JHMCS taken out of its development package?
Depends on timeframe you are talking about. Even latest aircraft can't get all the bells and whistles in their baseline configuration. Initially, F-22 was going their own path for a HMD and wanted to eliminate the HUD altogether (saves weight and cost) and use the "helmet" in lieu of a HUD, but fidelity for gunsight tracking wasn't there. F-22 was eventually convinced to go with JHMCS, but JSF opted for their own advanced HMD, which is being built by same holding company that is building JHMCS (VSI). Here's announcement related to initial JHMCS work for F-22 (threshold aircraft for USAF was F-15C): Contract to Integrate the Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System into the F-22 Raptor Aircraft Haifa, Israel, May 4, 1998 – Elbit Systems Ltd. (NASDAQ-NM Symbol: ESLTF) announced today that its subsidiary, Vision Systems International, LLC (VSI), has received a contract from Lockheed Martin Aeronautical Systems Company for the initial integration of the Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS) into the USAF F-22 Raptor aircraft. The JHMCS provides visual information to the pilot based on the position and orientation of his or her head.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
What role is the JSF filling for the Navy? I know it is replacing the F-16 for the USAF and the AV-8 for the USMC.

The STOVL Variant of JSF is intended to replace both the F/A-18 and the AV-8B in the Marine Corps. makes an interesting situation for Navy-Marine Corps TACAIR integration because currently that plan calls for USMC F/A-18s in every air wing (and a USMC CAG in pipeline) and Navy Hornet squadrons in the USMC forward deployed squadron rotation. If USMC goes 100% STOVL, do they still go aboard conventional carriers? and do CTOL JSFs fit in USMC squadron froward deployed CONOPS once they transition to JSF. Navy asked USMC to consider a mix of STOVL and CTOL JSF variants, but that debate hasn't been finally resolved.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Super Hornets

Hey, I just heard a rumor that somebody in meridian selected Prowlers, then threw a temper tantrum, went to the CO crying, and got his orders switched to Super Hornets. I also heard that the last S-3 pilot couldn’t fly the S-3 and is now in the Super Hornet rag. Just curious if these rumors are true, and if so, what that says about the Super Hornet community.
Maybe these are professional things that I shouldn’t bring up on an Internet forum – I don’t know(if a mod deletes this, I won’t be offended). I’m not looking for any sort of *****ing session, these just seem to be the things that aren’t supposed to happen, and I’m wondering what others thoughts are.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There was a VT-9 stud that selected Prowlers, but there was a guy in the next winging (the one that just passed) that really REALLY wanted it, so they game him a Hornet/Super Hornet slot and saved the Prowler slot for the upcoming guy. That guy didn't make the winging for whatever reason and someone from VT-7 was tagged with it in this past winging.

This is all heresay, the details may not be 100% correct. They may even be 0% correct, this is just what I've heard.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
brd2881 said:
I have a rumor about an S-3 guy going to Supers as well.....

S-3s haven't been available for months... or is it an old story? On a similar note, one of our S-3 IPs is transitioning to Super Hornets. Talk about a good deal.

I REALLY like the one about the Kingsville student who didn't get Supers and went all the way up to CNATRA or BUPERS kicking and screaming. It caused a MASSIVE clusterfvck in Meridian. Mefesto can tell you more...

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BigWorm said:
I also heard that the last S-3 pilot couldn’t fly the S-3 and is now in the Super Hornet rag.

Not quite the whole story. I can't tell you about the abilities of the person in question, but I do know the story of how he ended up at the Super Hornet RAG. The future of the S-3 community is directly influenced by the rate of Super Hornet squadron's being stood up. In this particular case, there was a change in manning/timing for the last S-3 squadron and as a result, they did not need that last new pilot. So, big Navy sent him to a new community.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Fly Navy said:
S-3s haven't been available for months... or is it an old story? On a similar note, one of our S-3 IPs is transitioning to Super Hornets. Talk about a good deal.

I REALLY like the one about the Kingsville student who didn't get Supers and went all the way up to CNATRA or BUPERS kicking and screaming. It caused a MASSIVE clusterfvck in Meridian. Mefesto can tell you more...

Not going to directly comment on hornets v. supers v. hoovers, but...don't be that guy. I had a guy call the monitor after selecting, complaining that he didn't get cobras. Too bad.

Also, don't be the Harrier pilot who goes to his new unit and asks for a conversion to F/A-18s. Also not a good way to win friends and influence people.

KBayDog

phrogdriver said:
Not going to directly comment on hornets v. supers v. hoovers, but...don't be that guy. I had a guy call the monitor after selecting, complaining that he didn't get cobras. Too bad.

Also, don't be the Harrier pilot who goes to his new unit and asks for a conversion to F/A-18s. Also not a good way to win friends and influence people.

A wise man once told me, "They are called 'orders,' not 'invitations.'"

No matter what you get, where you go, or what you are (legally) told to do, here's the right answer:

"Aye, aye, Sir/Ma'am."

*Right, Face...Forward, March*

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
BigWorm said:
I also heard that the last S-3 pilot couldn’t fly the S-3 and is now in the Super Hornet rag. Just curious if these rumors are true, and if so, what that says about the Super Hornet community.

He had ONE flight in the jet, and was then told that he was going to super land. He was a good stick in advanced, he just put that his #1 choice was west coast at a time when east coast hornets were available.