• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Will they expect that group to run at a 8 min/mile pace for 3-4 miles or do they slow up the longer the run?
Firstly, I never ran more than 2.2 miles while at OCS. There were two 5ks run on Saturdays, but I missed them both due to watch.

Secondly, the run leader (usually a chief for the slow groups) will set the pace. Some run faster than others. Do NOT fall out.

nugget61

pilot
Firstly, I never ran more than 2.2 miles while at OCS. There were two 5ks run on Saturdays, but I missed them both due to watch.

Secondly, the run leader (usually a chief for the slow groups) will set the pace. Some run faster than others. Do NOT fall out.

Well that was convenient - assign that duty to yourself?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Underwear...Socks...This may seem trivial, but as this is the stupid questions thread and someone here has to use high performance socks and underwear and should understand the concern.

When in doubt, fall back on the First Rule: "Do Absolutely Nothing to Make Yourself Stand Out."

You don't need to have high-speed socks and skivvies, and Marines are known for their love and respect for "gear queers".

The issued/required stuff is crap and it's not at all what you'll like or be used to. Suck it up and deal.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
Yeah, sounds like you just can't close the deal. And if you can't close that deal, you must have negative game. Because I wasn't even trying to get in on a deal (I was engaged at the time) and the girls were the ones trying to close the deal. Your one of those guys who should do their first tour in Japan, me thinks.

hasn't been too much of a problem - the ladies love the hair. here is a head shot for reference:

uglysloth.jpg

Hoosier

I guess my first question should be if I'll be able to do the swim for my out-PRT. I'm still a couple months away from leaving for OCS and my running is at good-low, but my 500yd swim time is about Outstanding-high (it was a 6:40 in a set of 4x500s desc. to max). I did this in a speedo+drag suit.

If I'm able to do that, will I be able to bring my drag suit as my swim-attire or are trunks mandatory. I also ask because if so, it adds a significant amount to my time and requires that I reevaluate where I'm at currently (although it probably wouldn't fall past the excellent range)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I guess my first question should be if I'll be able to do the swim for my out-PRT. I'm still a couple months away from leaving for OCS and my running is at good-low, but my 500yd swim time is about Outstanding-high (it was a 6:40 in a set of 4x500s desc. to max). I did this in a speedo+drag suit.

If I'm able to do that, will I be able to bring my drag suit as my swim-attire or are trunks mandatory. I also ask because if so, it adds a significant amount to my time and requires that I reevaluate where I'm at currently (although it probably wouldn't fall past the excellent range)

OCS isn't like the "real" Navy. You'll be doing a Run-PRT with the rest of the regiment. Never heard of anyone getting to do a swim PRT.

Trunks are mandatory for all swims at OCS.

Often times (outside of OCS), swim PRTs are not available, or if available, at a private pool that you have to pay a couple bucks to use. (at least in flight school etc that I've seen thus far)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Swim PRT's will always be an option for you in the Fleet, not in OCS (or the Academy either, for that matter). My roommate at school was a Varsity swimmer but struggled with running. Once we were out in the Fleet and he could swim it, he maxed out his PRT every time.

IOW: it sucks that you can't swim it when swimming's your bag, but the standard's the same for everyone. Suck it up and deal. And once you can swim it, please dear G-d, for your own happiness and well-being, don't show up for the PRT in your speed suit.

nugget61

pilot
Whats the deal with the Christmas/Holiday stand-down? My OR is of the belief that they won't start a new class after the first few weeks of October so that there aren't any people in class during the holidays. Is this so? Hope not, that'd put me out till January for OCS then.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Whats the deal with the Christmas/Holiday stand-down? My OR is of the belief that they won't start a new class after the first few weeks of October so that there aren't any people in class during the holidays. Is this so? Hope not, that'd put me out till January for OCS then.

With me! ...probably

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
I've seen in early posts in this thread the break is two weeks for Xmas/holidays. Is this still current? Anyone know where I can find this information? I tried the OCS website but no joy.