• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

parkers18

Really.?

What planet are you from, did they have TV, movies, books, have you ever read any military books?

This has to be the dumbest question I’ve seen on here yet.?

I find it hard to believe someone who wants to be a Naval officer doesn't know what TAPS is, please don’t tell us your family has a military heritage.

It's funny your son graduated OCS in 2018 and you dont have shit else better to do but come up here trying to be "that guy".

Nicholsq

FMF DOC
It's funny your son graduated OCS in 2018 and you dont have shit else better to do but come up here trying to be "that guy".
hell everyone has to learn from somewhere. When I joined I didn't know shit about the navy either. And here I am now 14 years later and I'm still trying to get a grasp on everything. Only been on ship 8 months out of 14 years! But evidently senior SWOs feel i have the learning capacity to catch on. keep asking away. When you don't ask questions you learn less, and thats piss poor leadership if you don't encourage your subordinates and fellow team members to ask questions.

parkers18

hell everyone has to learn from somewhere. When I joined is didn't know shit about the navy either. And here I am now 14 years later and I'm still trying to get a grasp on everything. Only been on ship 8 months out of 14 years! But evidently senior SWOs feel i have the learning capacity to catch on. keep asking away. When you don't ask questions you learn less, and thats piss poor leadership if you don't encourage your subordinates and fellow team members to ask questions.

Yeah, this is very true. I'm about to be entering the military for the first time and so i've been focusing on getting my appendix B down and have been worried less about small things like asking what TAPS is. A lot of things you really don't learn until you're actually going through it though. For example, I've read about chow time but i'm pretty sure the experience will be sooo much different (a little nervous about that lol). Things that civi's learn before going in is all thanks to research and asking questions.

parkers18

Don’t let these people spin you up. You will deal with these kind of people your entire military career. And while there are many “salty dogs” on here that are more than happy to help and share knowledge and experience. There is an equal number of guys on here just like this.

Yeah, i've gathered that. thanks man.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
#1, Is this not what this thread is for?

#2, either answer my question, or keep your mouth closed and keep it moving. I had an idea and wanted to make sure i was correct. no need to be an asshole.

Let's break down his user name AIRMMCPORET. My guess would be Air Maintenance Master Chief Petty Office retired.

Then his profile says "Served 30 years in the US Navy, retired June 2017."

He has plenty of right to come here and say whatever he pleases.

But you need to un-wad you skivvies. I'm pretty sure his post was meant in a joking, fun manner. It is typical of naval aviation humor and he did put the "smilies" in to show. It is also a typical response on this board especially when a quick google search would have provided the answer.

You do understand that officers are supposed to have initiative and seek a=out answers/solutions themselves?

parkers18

Let's break down his user name AIRMMCPORET. My guess would be Air Maintenance Master Chief Petty Office retired.

But you need to un-wad you skivvies. I'm pretty sure his post was meant in a joking, fun manner. It is typical of naval aviation humor and he did put the "smilies" in to show. It is also a typical response on this board especially when a quick google search would have provided the answer.

You do understand that officers are supposed to have initiative and seek a=out answers/solutions themselves?

View attachment 24163

There are more ways to "seek out answers/solutions themselves" rather than going to google. And if you must know, I went to google, and then I asked up here to make sure what I researched was indeed correct. But thanks for your input ! :)

Nicholsq

FMF DOC

View attachment 24163
Point taken

Meatman4000

So I'm currently AD and looking to separate, then apply to OCS. Are interviews required for prior enlisted? Sorry if this has already been answered, I've found one answer on the forum from RecruitingGuru saying that they're only required for active duty, but just wanted to confirm. Thanks in advance!

swmonroe88

pilot
So I'm currently AD and looking to separate, then apply to OCS. Are interviews required for prior enlisted? Sorry if this has already been answered, I've found one answer on the forum from RecruitingGuru saying that they're only required for active duty, but just wanted to confirm. Thanks in advance!

Nope, not required if you've separated. I'm prior service and got selected SNA without one.

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
#1, Is this not what this thread is for?

#2, either answer my question, or keep your mouth closed and keep it moving. I had an idea and wanted to make sure i was correct. no need to be an asshole.
First of all young lady, I won’t keep my mouth shut, I have certainly earned the right to exercise my first amendment rights on this forum.
Second, my son has nothing to do with what I posted to your post. This guy raised him to respect his elders, and seniors.

View attachment 24163
Hal Pilot, thank you for the kind words.
There are more ways to "seek out answers/solutions themselves" rather than going to google. And if you must know, I went to google, and then I asked up here to make sure what I researched was indeed correct. But thanks for your input ! :)

Third, I really don’t appreciate your tone with a Ret. military officer. He has beyond a doubt earned the right to be respected better than this.

I would hope you enter the hollowed halls of OCS with a better attitude than what you have shown in this thread. Because trust me, the fine Officers, Chiefs, and Gunnys are not going to put up with an attitude like that.

Here is what taps, and colors is all about, if you can listen to it wearing the uniform of a United States military member standing at attention, saluting, and not get a lump in your throat, and at the same time have cold chills run up your spine from sadness, and pride for our country your damn site tougher than me.???⚓

Morning Quarters
“Quarters is the formation for muster and inspection.” The Bluejackets’ Manual, 6th Edition
05/2010

Morning and Evening (as described in Article 1206 of U.S. Navy Regulations and as found in the Blue Jackets Manual
As with many naval traditions, the United States Navy adopted that of morning and evening colors from the British. The practice of morning and evening colors has always been made at 0800 and sunset respectively, and was first codified in the 1843 Rules and Regulations for the government of the Navy. Morning and evening colors are now described in Article 1206 of Navy Regulations.
Approximately five minutes before colors, the word is passed, “First call, first call to colors.” At 0800 or sunset, “Attention” is sounded on the bugle or one blast is blown on a police whistle. Everyone within sight or sound face the national ensign and, if not in formation, render the hand salute (if not in uniform, come to attention and if in a car come to a complete stop). Boats in the vicinity lie to, or proceed at the slowest safe speed, and the boat officer or coxswain stands and salutes in a safe, professional way except when dangerous to do so.
The order “execute” is then given and the national ensign is hauled up smartly (raised) for morning colors while at evening colors it is lowered slowly. During morning colors the National Anthem is played, and during evening colors the bugler sounds “Retreat,” with the national ensign starting down the flagstaff on the first note and timed to reach the bottom at the last note. In the case of a ship, the union jack (on the “jackstaff”) is either raised or lowered simultaneously with the national ensign. In the absence of a band or an appropriate recording to be played, “To The Colors” shall be played during morning colors.
When the National Anthem is finished playing in the morning or the national ensign is completely lowered in the evening, the bugle call “Carry On” is sounded, or three blasts are given on a whistle, or the word is passed, “Carry on,” at which time salutes are ended and the ceremony is over.
You will be able to tell youth from experience during our colors ceremonies because the veterans of battles with the enemy or the elements will often come out to take part in the ceremony while the young and inexperienced will hurry inside as they do not yet understand or appreciate what this ceremony symbolizes. During the ceremony you may of course think about whatever you like, but those who have grown to appreciate the nation through their years of experience and sacrifice will tell you that it is an excellent time to reflect on what this nation and Navy are all about, to think about what it is that makes the United States of America, the greatest nation on earth. And if you are unmoved by the sight of the nations flag bursting forth on a morning breeze, in all it’s colorful glory, it is because you have not yet traveled the world and seen how other people live nor experienced the pride of being a part of a crew that works hard and gives what it takes to make the US Navy the best the world has ever seen.

My only motive was to teach you about a time honored custom of our military. Excuse me for being a tad harsh in my training ways, as I’m used to training Chief selects, and junior officers, and junior enlisted troops, trust me they would have gotten the same treatment for a question of this type.

Good luck in your your future military endeavors, If you put as much effort into OCS as you have into your attitude in this thread you’ll do just fine.

sincerely

Ret. Master Chief Petty Officer

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

If you’re working with a recruiter = No

If you’re working with your CCC = Yes

Meatman4000

Also, is it true that your degree is only considered STEM if you’ve taken two semesters of calculus and calculus based physics?

My degree is a B.S. in computer information systems, I’ve taken the two semesters of calculus but have two semesters of biology for my hard science (dumb), would I need to take physics to be considered STEM?

Sorry, should’ve rolled this into my other post. I’d ask an OR but I’m too far out.