• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Riem2080

Anyone have advice for how far ahead in advance I should start studying appendix B? I dont graduate until June so I have a while, but wondering how long it took in others' experiences.

parkers18

Anyone have advice for how far ahead in advance I should start studying appendix B? I dont graduate until June so I have a while, but wondering how long it took in others' experiences.
A few months in advance will probably be best. Most of the things are easy to grasp, but some take awhile to retain. The watchstanding principals and the code of conduct took me the longest to remember to be honest.

Mike9595

My board doesn't meet until the 27th of Jan. But after talking to my recruiter who had a guy selected and was able to leave the next week, and the fact I only work 3 twelve hour days a week resulting in too much time I know what to do with. I figured it wouldn't hurt to at least get studied up on them and make it that much easier on myself while I have the free time waiting around to see if I get selected or not. (I probably jinxed myself though)

I found if you make flashcards for the ranks and write flashcards for everything else like the general orders of the sentry and codes of conduct etc. and spent 30 minutes a night here and there studying them nothing super crazy just when you have down time its really easy to get them down verbatim and just keep going over them whenever and they start to stick. Really was not that hard but my main focus is on the physical fitness portion of OCS I would say that probably is #1 then I guess if you have the time, go over some appendix B every now and then.

parkers18

Silly question, but does anyone know if we will be provided or allowed to bring swim caps to OCS? I don't care if my hair gets wet, but if we can it will save me a few minute of trying to wash out the chlorine.

emcee1

I'm scheduled to report to Newport 01 MAR. Over the course of my physical prep, an old hamstring injury is coming back with a vengeance. I can do the minimum PRT stuff with lots of rest and foam roller/lax ball stretching. Anything after 2 miles is extremely painful and my progress has really plateaued since I've been experiencing this pain. I'm starting to panic because of course my PCM can't see me for a few more weeks and I don't think i have enough time for adequate physical therapy, if they don't sandbag the whole referral process. Should I start asking for a later class? Would I be able to roll to H-class and get physical therapy or would I be dropped completely?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I’d wait until your flight up to OCS, you’ll be fine. Just remember my advice...”If you wait until the last minute...it only takes a minute!”

Nicholsq

FMF DOC
I'm scheduled to report to Newport 01 MAR. Over the course of my physical prep, an old hamstring injury is coming back with a vengeance. I can do the minimum PRT stuff with lots of rest and foam roller/lax ball stretching. Anything after 2 miles is extremely painful and my progress has really plateaued since I've been experiencing this pain. I'm starting to panic because of course my PCM can't see me for a few more weeks and I don't think i have enough time for adequate physical therapy, if they don't sandbag the whole referral process. Should I start asking for a later class? Would I be able to roll to H-class and get physical therapy or would I be dropped completely?
I'd recommend trying to get a later class date until your fully physically ready.

parkers18

Id just wait and deal with it there man. Seriously. You may be taking pain meds everyday, but only for 13 weeks lol

Ricky_piano

Can anyone who's been recently through OCS talk a bit about the sleep schedule? Especially those first few weeks. I can't find anything about that. Thanks in advance.

Meyerkord

pilot
Can anyone who's been recently through OCS talk a bit about the sleep schedule? Especially those first few weeks. I can't find anything about that. Thanks in advance.

Wake up at 0500, go to bed at 2200. For the first bit, you won't have a watch, which sucks, but I promise you'll never miss a wake up call. Some evolutions will wake you up a little earlier, but for the most part they're pretty good at allowing you to get 7 hours of sleep. Of course, depending on the upcoming evolutions and your level of preparedness, you might find yourself spending some more time after hours studying or preparing uniforms.

flgator92

None
Does anyone know how long it takes to get your BCGs? The glasses I have should last, but im curious.
Because you're at a training command and need them, they put them on a rush so you get them fairly soon. I wore them because they're better than getting your nicer glasses damaged or scratched but others just wore their personal glasses all the way through.

parkers18

Because you're at a training command and need them, they put them on a rush so you get them fairly soon. I wore them because they're better than getting your nicer glasses damaged or scratched but others just wore their personal glasses all the way through.

Yes, I plan on wearing them too.