• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

nrodda90

SWOtivated
I'd recommend getting another pair of glasses while you are there. These are more or less what they look like.

http://api.ning.com/files/UaXybx*6-...Xppswq9Weq7pNWA*aLNhu0Mf/militaryglasses1.jpg

The first week I was at OCS, I didn't have straps for my glasses. They were stomped on in the sandpit, and I was pretty much blind for a week until I got issued the ones above. -4.75 diopters.
While at OCS, are you required to wear glasses if your eyes aren't that bad?

jay_navy

Anyone else here applying for OCS as an active Navy reservist? Just found out that NRDs will no longer work with reservist when applying for OCS and I'm wondering how this new system works out for anyone who are dealing with this .. Also, I got told by an officer recruiter that Pilot/NFO and SWO communities are no longer considering applications for the rest of the fiscal year. Is this true for all the other NRDs across the U.S? Are reservist and non-reservist competing on a separate pool now?

-Thanks for any answers in advance!

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
This is them. I think they will be okay.
7090-018.jpg

In regards to Navy regulations, you are not allowed to have the Nike logo on them. I can't speak to what you can get away with at OCS. Any symbols/logos on glasses are considered "faddish." If the logo was black and blended in, you might be able to wear them. Here is where you can find the official regulations concerning glasses:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...ns/chapter2/Pages/2101GeneralInformation.aspx

d. Glasses

(1) Prescription Glasses. No eccentric or faddish glasses are permitted. Retainer straps are authorized for FOD prevention and safety only. If retainer straps are required, they shall be plain, black and worn snugly against the back of the head.

(2) Sunglasses. Conservative sunglasses are permitted, except in military formations. Retainer straps are authorized for FOD prevention and safety only. If retainer straps are required, they shall be plain, black and worn snugly against the back of the head.

(3) Contact Lenses. Tinted contact lenses must be a natural color (blue, green, brown, etc).

Hope this helps you out.

exNavyOffRec

Anyone else here applying for OCS as an active Navy reservist? Just found out that NRDs will no longer work with reservist when applying for OCS and I'm wondering how this new system works out for anyone who are dealing with this .. Also, I got told by an officer recruiter that Pilot/NFO and SWO communities are no longer considering applications for the rest of the fiscal year. Is this true for all the other NRDs across the U.S? Are reservist and non-reservist competing on a separate pool now?

That happened a while ago you now have to use the 1420 to apply.

RUFIO had put out that NRC put a hold on non AD NFO and Intel applications, the OR you spoke to doesn't sound that familiar with officer recruiting, buy the time the new FY comes around they are already 6 months into selections for that FY

jay_navy

That happened a while ago you now have to use the 1420 to apply.

RUFIO had put out that NRC put a hold on non AD NFO and Intel applications, the OR you spoke to doesn't sound that familiar with officer recruiting, buy the time the new FY comes around they are already 6 months into selections for that FY

Thanks a lot for the information. I was told by the OR to call him back in ~July-Aug but like you said, the board for the next FY is already happening. I'm going to look for other ORs in the area and see if they can offer me better help and information.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Thanks a lot for the information. I was told by the OR to call him back in ~July-Aug but like you said, the board for the next FY is already happening. I'm going to look for other ORs in the area and see if they can offer me better help and information.

you need to look for your CCC, OR's don't deal with the 1420 OR's can't help you with this process anymore.

Workingoutsidemyfield

I did and got picked up off the NOV14 board.

Gator Guard

always knife hands
It's on the edge then. The selection at eyewear stores has nothing they can't sell, so plain Jane frames are hard to find these days. On my face they look as modest as I can hope for while still being wearable before and after OCS.

I hope at OCS I can give an update on if I was able to keep them.

Last edited:

Jacob G.

Stupid Question: I've got a pair of Belleville boots from NROTC (Approved for NWU), they are somewhat broken in, but are a bit too big and they feel like they're putting strain on my feet when wearing them all day. Do you think I'd be better off just leaving these at home, getting a new, right-fitting pair at OCS and enduring the break-in period with everyone else; or should I just bring these?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Depends on what your prescription is. I don't recall anyone being required to wear them if they didn't really need to. I wore mine for classes and that was it.
If you show up without glasses and never wear them even if issued, no one will be the wiser. Just make sure you can tell the difference between a chief anchor and gold oak leaf at a reasonable distance.

It's on the edge then. The selection at eyewear stores has nothing they can't sell, so plain Jane frames are hard to find these days. On my face they look as modest as I can hope for while still being wearable before and after OCS.
At OCS, you'll get BCGs so it won't matter. After OCS, no one will give a crap about your Nike logo. People wear brand-name glasses all the time.

FYI, you get a frame a year for free at the military treatment facility (two if you are going to be deployed). They are plain-Jane frames for the most part. From a practical standpoint, they are probably the better set to use as your everyday work pair since you don't risk breaking an expensive frame.

"Eccentric of faddish" doesn't mean that it can't have small logo markings, it means don't show up with retro 50s rainbow colored glasses.

Bradicus

Ensign, SNA
Stupid Question: I've got a pair of Belleville boots from NROTC (Approved for NWU), they are somewhat broken in, but are a bit too big and they feel like they're putting strain on my feet when wearing them all day. Do you think I'd be better off just leaving these at home, getting a new, right-fitting pair at OCS and enduring the break-in period with everyone else; or should I just bring these?

There are days where you will be wearing them from 0500 until 2200. Maybe more if you pull a shitty watch. Also, for inspections, it is expected that you will have brand new boots, so if they are unusually worn it may cause problems. Mine were broken in within 3 weeks, but I had particularly delicate feet so I just used moleskin every day until then.

Jacob G.

I've got a question for those who have already been to OCS, and were married. How did you go about bringing your spouse's Identification card to Newport? My wife does not have a passport, and the DMV will not issue her a State ID in addition to her Driver's license. If I bring her original ID, she will be left home without a license. If I DO have to bring the original ID, how long until I will be able to mail it back to her?