• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

navyhaz

The PCS homeport states that we need to bring our pcs orders. Does this mean that the navy will help with moving? I am a reservist on ADSW orders since last FY and will stay on these orders until I leave for OCS. I am alone here in Illinois and just was wondering if the PCS move would allow me to move my belongings home to Texas.

You're a reservist going to OCS... meaning you will be going from Br/CL 32 to BR/CL 11. When completed with OCS, your orders will fund a move to your next duty station from home of record. Moving HHG to Texas from Illinois depends. Did the USN fund the move from TX to IL in order for you to take the ADSW orders? If so, yes they will move you back. They will also fund storage of your items while in OCS. If you moved your HHG to IL on your own, the USN will not fund the move back. A lot of variables can play into this scenario. The best advice I can give... Talk to your admin / PSD.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
Food question. Can anyone comment on the availability of the following at the OCS cafeteria/chow hall or for purchase at the NEX while at OCS: 1. Gluten free carbohydrates (potatoes and rice),

Anyone else chuckled when they read this? Ney Hall's half cooked rice and potatoes are their speciality, and you'll get plenty of it!

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I actually don't think I've eaten rice voluntarily since OCS (unless it was of course in a burrito).

speedroller

Rangers
Question about LORs. My OR is asking me to gather information about some personal references and past employers to submit a character reference. Is a character reference and LOR the same thing?

Thanks!

Gator Guard

always knife hands
Question about LORs. My OR is asking me to gather information about some personal references and past employers to submit a character reference. Is a character reference and LOR the same thing?

Thanks!
No, they are not the same thing. Character references will be contacted and asked to fill out a form that ask questions such as, "do you know if this person comes to work drunk?" My OR contacted 3 past employers.

44magnum

With the exception of NWUs, are personnel permitted to bring any other uniforms to OCS?
Bring your Eisenhower jacket (remember the liner), dress shoes (not the plastic clown shoes), and PT uniforms (provided they look sharp and are not the New Balance variety). Also remember your NWU parka (with silver nametape removed) and fleece liner.

Do NOT bring your old rain coat (because now they issue the Army version), blue turtlenecks, black sweater, or anything that E-7 and up don't wear.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
For the silver nametape, you don't need to remove it before you go, they can just swap it out with gold at the uniform shop.

I've tried searching for this but haven't found anything. I just found out I'll be in the 12 Apr 15 OCS class. Which means I'll be graduating on 3 Jul. Is there a chance in hell I'll be able to make it to a friend's wedding in Kansas City on 4 Jul?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
The main problem is gonna be getting all your stuff from Rhode Island/your hometown to P'cola. It'll be easier if you get OHARP after OCS, which is the trend lately. That'll give you more time to figure out getting your stuff from home to P'cola. But at any rate, if you can keep your purchases at OCS pared down, you should be able to fit it all into a few seabags, and then just check them onto the plane to KC. Timing-wise, it should be fine, if you graduate on Friday then you'll be done by noon. Just plan ahead so you're not spending half the day packing, like I was.

AaronJB

Dumb Ensign, VT-6
...Timing-wise, it should be fine, if you graduate on Friday then you'll be done by noon. Just plan ahead so you're not spending half the day packing, like I was.
I doubt it makes a big difference but the last two OCS graduations have been in the afternoon over at the War College. Most all of the festivities were over and done with by 1400 for us. Again, may not be that big of a deal but those couple of hours in the afternoon may make a difference between catching that flight out to KC and not. Who knows, maybe by July Kay Hall will be available for graduations again. I have no idea what they are doing with that building but I honestly don't care. They should really just tear it down.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
I've tried searching for this but haven't found anything. I just found out I'll be in the 12 Apr 15 OCS class. Which means I'll be graduating on 3 Jul. Is there a chance in hell I'll be able to make it to a friend's wedding in Kansas City on 4 Jul?

If you don't roll into H-class, pass everything, get cleared for NAMI, and get your orders. Yes.

Manzo

Amicmanzo
Question about the OCS application...

For some reason, I find it hard on the format of how "Desired Designator" should be.
If I'm applying for SWO-IW will it look like this?
SWO - Information Warfare/11605

Much appreciated!

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
And even if you don't get orders or are waiting on NAMI, you can probably still take leave to do it. Just don't get rolled.

Whitefoot

None
After referencing the Navy Precedence of Awards, I am still curious as to if my CG Sea Service Ribbon is authorized to wear in the Navy. The delimma is that it is not listed under the "Authorized" nor is it listed under the "Not Authorized" sections. Should I go with the "it isn't on the not authorized lists" mindset, or the other way around?

Also, I have qualified in the CG for Expert Rifle and Pistol. Do those transfer (if so do I wear CG or Navy equivelent)? I am confused as to whether or not you had to have qualified while in the Navy for it to be authorized.