• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I felt trolled for a second but that's actually a really good answer. I'm just thinking that I am getting an outstanding at the moment for the female PRT standards, but I would like to be able to keep up with the guys so it would be helpful to me if someone can give me an average (or even minimum) 1.5 mile time that most people get and I can shoot for in my prep for OCS. Sure I'll be fast for a girl, but I'd like to be able to keep up with the guys.
No, I wasn't trolling you. The 'average' varies by class, so no one can answer your question. If you're in a class of speed demons they will still push you to go faster, but it won't be the same type of harrassment you get for barely finishing the run at a 12+ min/mi pace, which would have been me if not for a 35 year old prior going suppo who ran much slower than that.

To be more specific, most of my class entered in the 9-11 min range and did the out PFA in the 8-9:30 range.

Jules_W

No, I wasn't trolling you. The 'average' varies by class, so no one can answer your question. If you're in a class of speed demons they will still push you to go faster, but it won't be the same type of harrassment you get for barely finishing the run at a 12+ min/mi pace, which would have been me if not for a 35 year old prior going suppo who ran much slower than that.

To be more specific, most of my class entered in the 9-11 min range and did the out PFA in the 8-9:30 range.

This is exactly the information I was looking for, thank you so much this is extremely helpful.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I have a question regarding OCS...

When Officer Candidates get in trouble, are they given EMI (Extra Military Instruction)?

If so, what does EMI consist of?

I have EMI 'flashbacks' almost every time I fly to the middle east coast of the U.S. due to the presence of a VORTAC labeled EMI (Westminster). We flew by EMI today...so I took a pic of EMI (see below). Anyway, I was just wondering about current EMI at OCS after flying by EMI today.

Thanks...

Collin Wayne
The EMI King of AOCS Class 41-86

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
What do you mean by 'get in trouble?'

If you mean something minor like leaving your gear locker unlocked, you might get a 'hurricane' followed by some RPT and maybe some punishment like having to pile all the furniture in the unoccupied room and the only thing you have is a rack.

If you mean something serious like an honor violation or sleeping with the help, it can range from getting 'seawalled' (starting over) to being dropped from the program.

Sonog

pilot
I have a question regarding OCS...

When Officer Candidates get in trouble, are they given EMI (Extra Military Instruction)?

If so, what does EMI consist of?

I have EMI 'flashbacks' almost every time I fly to the middle east coast of the U.S. due to the presence of a VORTAC labeled EMI (Westminster). We flew by EMI today...so I took a pic of EMI (see below). Anyway, I was just wondering about current EMI at OCS after flying by EMI today.

Thanks...

Collin Wayne
The EMI King of AOCS Class 41-86

They call it "beatings" these days. As of two years ago the rules were they were limited to 10 minutes a pop and outside of 1 hour from chow.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
What do you mean by 'get in trouble?'

If you mean something minor like leaving your gear locker unlocked, you might get a 'hurricane' followed by some RPT and maybe some punishment like having to pile all the furniture in the unoccupied room and the only thing you have is a rack.

If you mean something serious like an honor violation or sleeping with the help, it can range from getting 'seawalled' (starting over) to being dropped from the program.
Minor stuff that you had mentioned first. I do remember scenarios very similar to (or the same as) what you had mentioned first but that punishment was not considered EMI. Aviation Officer Candidates receiving EMI (due to the accumulation of demerits) would conduct assigned work duties on the weekends while fellow classmates were on liberty...for example, the EMI that I received every weekend was to buff the decks of our Battalion (Batt I Bulldogs!) with a motorized buffer.

Our USMC DI would announce liberty call (as well as EMI) over the 1mc on Friday afternoon...

"Class 41-86...liberty call, liberty call...EXCEPT FOR...Aviation Officer Candidates Wayne and Frederick...those candidates will report to the drill instructor's office for...EMI...so you PUNKS get down here right now!!!"

Last edited:

croakerfish

pilot
Minor stuff that you had mentioned first. I do remember scenarios very similar to (or the same as) what you had mentioned first but that punishment was not considered EMI. Aviation Officer Candidates receiving EMI (due to the accumulation of demerits) would conduct assigned work duties on the weekends while fellow classmates were on liberty...for example, the EMI that I received every weekend was to buff the decks of our Battalion (Batt I Bulldogs!) with a motorized buffer.

Our USMC DI would announce liberty call (as well as EMI) over the 1mc on Friday afternoon...

"Class 41-86...liberty call, liberty call...EXCEPT FOR...Aviation Officer Candidates Wayne and Frederick...those candidates will report to the drill instructor's office for...EMI...so you PUNKS get down here right now!!!"

Well nowadays (as of 2012 anyway) there's no weekend liberty until CandiO phase anyway. Demerits do exist but most of the time you just get a beating. IIRC you could either get beat or walk post to work off demerits.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Well nowadays (as of 2012 anyway) there's no weekend liberty until CandiO phase anyway. Demerits do exist but most of the time you just get a beating. IIRC you could either get beat or walk post to work off demerits.
Our class had a lot of demerits, just because our DI would rather give out demerits than take time out of drill to RPT us. We weren't initially allowed to walk post to serve them, and they had to be worked off with our DI rather than any DI who's available. But towards the end of OC phase when people didn't have enough time to work them off with him, those with remaining demerits were given the option to walk them off (for those who don't know, it's marching with your rifle for 50 minutes per demerit) as a group. They marched around the track as opposed to whatever the rule actually says, some sort of square pattern.

Hello, I am new to the community and have some questions about the selection board for the OCS.
I did look at all the forums but could not find the weighed scale of things.
What is the distribution of the weighed scale for the application?
IE: (1 being the most important and 6 being less important)
1. Major and GPA
2. ASTB score
3. Recommendation letters
4. References
5. Motivational statements
6. etc

Thanks in advance!

exNavyOffRec

Hello, I am new to the community and have some questions about the selection board for the OCS.
I did look at all the forums but could not find the weighed scale of things.
What is the distribution of the weighed scale for the application?
IE: (1 being the most important and 6 being less important)
1. Major and GPA
2. ASTB score
3. Recommendation letters
4. References
5. Motivational statements
6. etc

Thanks in advance!

Well, that question is easier answered if you put what you would like to go for because different designators give different weight to what you asked.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for the quick reply sir. I am currently going for SWO/AMDO.

for SWO you actually have it in pretty decent order, of course each board has some variation.

for AMDO they really look for experience in aviation maintenance, ideally USN aviation maintenance, so that kind of excludes any non prior or non AD applicants.