• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
3 months worth of toiletries would include one large tube of toothpaste, a toothbrush, a 4 oz thing of deodorant (yes I know it says no larger than 3 oz, no one cares), and a normal size bottle of shampoo (remember, you have no hair), and maybe 3-4 bars of soap (or one thing of body wash).

So yes, I would say bring 3 months worth.

I wouldn't really bother with 3-4 bars of soap. Bring one and a soap case and that should last you through RLP and you can safely use all 4 of the soap bars they issue you. You don't shower every day or even close to that amount so a bar of soap lasts a very long time.

I'd also consider a small clock radio that can be packed away easilly. They're on the no-no list but we all wished we had one at about 3am in the days prior to RLP. Keep it in your car.

And 1-inch wide blue painter's tape for RLP.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't really bother with 3-4 bars of soap. Bring one and a soap case and that should last you through RLP and you can safely use all 4 of the soap bars they issue you. You don't shower every day or even close to that amount so a bar of soap lasts a very long time.

I'd also consider a small clock radio that can be packed away easilly. They're on the no-no list but we all wished we had one at about 3am in the days prior to RLP. Keep it in your car.

Where the hell did you go to OCS??

We showered AT LEAST once a day. Our DI was extremely adamant about personal hygeine. If you dodged showers, then you were probably THAT guy who smelled and everyone tried to avoid being close to.

Second, what the hell are you talking about with the small alarm clock? We all had one. It was, in no way, prohibited. It was EXPECTED that we have one and use it. If you were waking up to the sound of reveille, you were WRONG and probably going to pay for it.

BAD GOUGE ALERT

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
meet_pig_pen_big.gif

Casual

Jammin'
None
Second, what the hell are you talking about with the small clock radio? We all had one. It was, in no way, prohibited.

Also, pretty sure he is talking about the fact that it is a clock radio, which is prohibited. Can't have radios at OCS, although it would be nice. Alarm? Definitely bring.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Also, pretty sure he is talking about the fact that it is a clock radio, which is prohibited. Can't have radios at OCS, although it would be nice. Alarm? Definitely bring.

Rog, bad semantics. Corrected. Radio, no. Alarm clock, YES!

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
Where the hell did you go to OCS??

We showered AT LEAST once a day. Our DI was extremely adamant about personal hygeine. If you dodged showers, then you were probably THAT guy who smelled and everyone tried to avoid being close to.

Second, what the hell are you talking about with the small alarm clock? We all had one. It was, in no way, prohibited. It was EXPECTED that we have one and use it. If you were waking up to the sound of reveille, you were WRONG and probably going to pay for it.

BAD GOUGE ALERT

Showers depend on the DI sometimes. We actually were specifically told not to shower once after visiting the sand pit. Many times we've gone directly to chow hall from morning PT then directly back to quickly change into uniform for class with zero time for showers. Sometimes we'd get a chance for showers at night after sweepers but if it was something like RLP week or there was a test the next day then even that became difficult.

And as for a clock radio, the radio portion is not allowed. Everyone is expected to have an actual alarm which is generally in the form of a wrist watch that your not allowed to wear.

Casual

Jammin'
None
Negative, always time for a shower at night. If you have to skip a shower before RLP in order to finish everything, you are already set up for failure.

joshmf

Showers depend on the DI sometimes. We actually were specifically told not to shower once after visiting the sand pit. Many times we've gone directly to chow hall from morning PT then directly back to quickly change into uniform for class with zero time for showers. Sometimes we'd get a chance for showers at night after sweepers but if it was something like RLP week or there was a test the next day then even that became difficult.

And as for a clock radio, the radio portion is not allowed. Everyone is expected to have an actual alarm which is generally in the form of a wrist watch that your not allowed to wear.

I think this perfectly valid gouge. We often do not have time for a shower after morning PT, but usually do at night. This depends on your Class Drill Instructor.

And yes, bring a small travel alarm clock, or you will be hurting until you get the chance to buy one.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Baby wipes will definitely help for after morning PT, but skip 30 minutes of sleep and take a damn shower after taps.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

Now that I've actually been here, Scott is correct. One month's of toiletries is more than enough. The first week we got to shower maybe twice, and while you do need to be shaven every day, very few people shower every day. The second week we were beat every day during morning hygiene time, and to some people the extra 30 min of sleep is worth it, especially when you're on the balls to 2 watch for the third time in the week because you're in a tiny class. Not to mention that yes, we are specifically ordered NOT to shower at some times. The stuff from RLP will probably last me the rest of the time I'm here, and if it doesn't there are plenty of NEX runs. The other $150 of toiletries I bought is currently sitting in my car doing nothing.

Clock RADIO: bring it, leave it in your car, use your own discretion.

Negative, always time for a shower at night. If you have to skip a shower before RLP in order to finish everything, you are already set up for failure.
I think he was referring to the week leading up to RLP, not the night before.

nugget81

pilot
There is no reason to skip a shower on any night. And baby wipes work great when changing from PT gear to khaki's. I suppose you wore the same pair of skivvies all week too, right?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
If you are not showering once a day, you are wrong, period. I don't care about the gouge, in fact I don't even care about your personal hygiene. I am trying to stress the level of hygiene that you will have to enforce out in the fleet.

When you get to the fleet and become a DIVO you are going to have one or two NASTY Sailors, working for you. They won't want to take a shower or wash their clothes or something else that is very, very nasty, because they are too tired, too busy, too lazy... whatever. You need to get it into your head that it is NOT acceptable. Accept the fact that you should do it for yourself, because you WILL have to force a Sailor to do it out there.