• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

eyzondapryz

I couldn't agree with you more...I mean the initial posting was immediately after I found out about the "truth". I was just being a baby (hence my wonderful avatar). Really though, when the time comes for me to finish OCS, everything (and I mean everything) will be well worth it!

lewisville1863

OCS Swim Qual

Can anyone describe the swim requirements while at OCS. Specifically for SNFO. My class date is 24 May so I'm trying to sharpen some of my swimming skills. This is the list of requirements that I believe to be tested skills:

1. 25 yard swim - breaststroke, 25 yard crawl, 25 yard inter. backstroke, 25 yard side stroke.
2. 5 min. treading water
3. 4 min. prone float, 1 min. back float
4. trouser inflation float, (time ??)

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Can anyone describe the swim requirements while at OCS. Specifically for SNFO. My class date is 24 May so I'm trying to sharpen some of my swimming skills. This is the list of requirements that I believe to be tested skills:

1. 25 yard swim - breaststroke, 25 yard crawl, 25 yard inter. backstroke, 25 yard side stroke.
2. 5 min. treading water
3. 4 min. prone float, 1 min. back float
4. trouser inflation float, (time ??)

Here ya go, hope it helps.
https://otcn.netc.navy.mil/OCS/index.htm

lewisville1863

Hey thanks, but how about those pictures? It says a 5 foot tower jump, that tower is way taller than 5 feet. And for the 50 yard swim is it just swim using any stroke or do the instructors need to see all 4 performed properly?

SWCS242

SWO in-training
I have yet to be there, but I think you can use any of the approved strokes listed.
That tower doesn't look too high, I'm a swimmer so after practice sometimes we jump off the 10 meter (30 ft. platform). Its a lot of fun. I am sure you will do fine, don't sweat it.

Ok yeah, I just went back and looked at that pic again, and it does look way higher than 5 ft, oh well, more fun!!!

lewisville1863

Yeah I'm not worried about the swim to much, I just don't want to practice the wrong thing for nothing. All of my info has come from the Naval Education & Training Command, Swimming and Water Survival Manual. It tells a lot of how the Navy wants you to swim, but nothing on when you will be tested (i.e., OCS, API, Primary).

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Well you are tested at OCS, but I am pretty sure people who are becoming pilots have a much larger swimming test when they are at their pilot school or whatever, that is a question a pilot would need to answer though, sorry.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Swimming is easy. They teach guys and gals who are complete bricks to swim. Stop sweating it. You'll do the 4 basic strokes for various distances. Jump off a platform (thought it was 12ft?) and swim 25 yds or something. At API, there is a bunch of swimming and a few basic tests to see that you can apply the strokes properly and not freakin drown. You'll swim with some gear on, increasing it to full gear for 5 minutes of treading water and 5 minutes of dead-man's float. You'll finish off swimming at API with a mile swim in a flightsuit. It is easy...just boring.

Drink beer. Fat floats better than muscle...

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Males get everything issued, females need to bring a one piece.
The pictures are from Pensacola, Newport's pool was built before the war, the last World War that is.
Swimming is easy, just don't drown yourself. They stopped rolling people for failing it but you should be able to pass without trying all that hard.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
OCS swim test is cake. The swimming down in P-Cola is quite a bit harder. I went through the P-Cola swim phys. in 2002. I wasn't the strongest swimmer going into it and struggled through some parts. If I got through, you can!