• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Hey, I was just saying how it is: most people here, by their own admission, do not shower every day. Shave/brush/wipe off with baby wipes yes, but not always shower.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Hey, I was just saying how it is: most people here, by their own admission, do not shower every day. Shave/brush/wipe off with baby wipes yes, but not always shower.
It wasn't like that six months ago. Just do it ferchristsake.

Wingnut

Kill your television
Sounds like things have changed in the move to Newport. I rolled for the swim screen in the first week along with two others. I didn't touch bottom, definitely wasn't drowning, and my classmates said they didn't see why they failed me either. Maybe they were just being nice, my strokes did kind of suck, but I think that the person doing the screen was pretty anal because there were no rolls for swim for the next couple classes, and then all of a sudden I remember several rolling from an incoming class. That's neither here nor there though, I was smart enough to come back and work on my strokes while I was in A-pool, which I recommend to any weaker swimmers. I'm hardly typical, I had to take swimming lessons before I submitted my application just so I could say I could swim. If you're comfortable in the water, can do 25 yards of breast or crawl, and don't have any problems jumping off a fifteen-foot platform (may have been twelve, this is in P'cola), you shouldn't have any trouble. As for API, you will do a fair amount of swimming in boots. The thing to look out for there is that the boots are all pretty jacked up, and I remember getting a pretty nice abrasion on the back of my heel; socks may help, I can't see how they'd hurt. One bad piece of gouge, in my opinion, is to wear a T-shirt under your flight suit for the mile. It didn't help me at all, I still got some pretty good chafing. Maybe underarmor would be good; whatever it is has to be skin-tight or it's just going to add to the problem. Finally, some might tell you that a bigger flight suit will slow you down, but I was slowed down more by the rubbing from the suit I was wearing, and I think a bigger one might have been better. Just try and figure it out while you're doing the practice laps in API, if I made it you probably can.

lewisville1863

What do I need to bring to OCS?
All future candidates will need to bring white t-shirts, white underwear (briefs), white socks, a white towel, females need to bring a dark blue one piece swim suit, priors need to bring a full sea bag, toiletries, a wrist watch, vehicle registration, driver's license, proof of insurance, marriage license, all travel receipts, college transcripts, military ID, checking account number, bank routing number, orders to OCS, and access to $2000 dollars for various items while at OTCN.

This is from the OCS page. I'm a prior enlisted, but I don't know what a full sea bag is? Some help?

Wingnut

Kill your television
I rarely skipped a shower, and neither should you. If there was time I usually tried for it between chow and classes/etc. If not I made time for a shower in the evening before taps. Taking a shower after taps may not be a good idea: while I don't remember anyone getting in trouble for it while I was there, I know there were a couple of CDOs who probably could have and would have handed out a chit if they found you. It doesn't take that long, anyone should be able to get it under ten minutes all tolled. You feel better, you smell better, you might even look better. One big recommendation, bring several bars of antibacterial deoderent soap or body wash. The soap they issued us was worthless, some people would literally start smelling a matter of hours after washing even without doing anything, and it did nothing to stop pinkeye from making several rounds. Hopefully they got wise and starting issuing good soap, but better safe than sorry.

GFTC

pilot
Painter's tape?

I understand the nail polish is to keep strings from growing. What is the painter's tape for? Also, I've heard some people bring hair spray. How is this used (other than for hair)?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
OK, seriously? I showered in the morning after PT before (or sometimes after) chow. In addition to that, I would take a hollywood shower at night, sometimes waiting until after TAPS to do so if I was especially disgusting.

TRUST ME on this: OCS is NOT the place you want your hygeine to suffer. You will get sick and OFTEN, and if you're not showering/hand sanitizing etc constantly it will be THAT much worse.

If you aren't showering at LEAST once a day (and it may still happen anyway), standby for swamp-ass and crotch-rot.

SERIOUSLY.

I understand the nail polish is to keep strings from growing. What is the painter's tape for? Also, I've heard some people bring hair spray. How is this used (other than for hair)?

Painters tape usually has specific dimensions (1/2 or 3/4 inch) and you use it for getting the proper placement of your stamp on an article of clothing/towel etc.

The hairspray keeps folded items nice and tight and rigid (what you want so your items stay in the dimensions you get them to). The fact that you even thought it could be used for hair made me a laugh. :p

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
You'll find out...btw, you don't need to bring it, if you want it, that's what the nex is for.

kahuna5501

I am new to this site and would like to gain any information I can about OCS and the Flight School located in Pensacola, FL.

I know very little about the military and what it truly has to offer me. So I would like to ask for information about OCS first. What goes on their, how long is the school and what kind of shape should I be in before I go.

My other question is about the flight school for navy pilots. What is the study program like is it fast paced or overloading? Do people fail out of the program because they party to much or is it just demanding?

These are general questions and I would be thankful for any information avaliable

Thanks

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Use the search function. If you still can't find what your looking for, then most people on here would be more than happy to answer your questions.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
OCS is a kick in the nuts but it seems funny afterward

Flight School (NFO style) is a kick in the nuts as well but you can have a beer after the day is over. They give you a cool flight jacket and wings when you are finished

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
got a lot of information by just searching through the site. I myself am applying for OCS and an SNA slot. My package will be before the boards in june. Just search, lots of good gouge out there.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I am new to this site and would like to gain any information I can about OCS and the Flight School located in Pensacola, FL.

I know very little about the military and what it truly has to offer me. So I would like to ask for information about OCS first. What goes on their, how long is the school and what kind of shape should I be in before I go.

My other question is about the flight school for navy pilots. What is the study program like is it fast paced or overloading? Do people fail out of the program because they party to much or is it just demanding?

These are general questions and I would be thankful for any information avaliable

Thanks

Please use regular font size unless it is for comedic effect. Do a search. Information earned is information learned...

joshmf

What do I need to bring to OCS?
All future candidates will need to bring white t-shirts, white underwear (briefs), white socks, a white towel, females need to bring a dark blue one piece swim suit, priors need to bring a full sea bag, toiletries, a wrist watch, vehicle registration, driver's license, proof of insurance, marriage license, all travel receipts, college transcripts, military ID, checking account number, bank routing number, orders to OCS, and access to $2000 dollars for various items while at OTCN.

This is from the OCS page. I'm a prior enlisted, but I don't know what a full sea bag is? Some help?

A full sea bag refers to all of the uniforms you've been issued- However, there is no need to bring any uniforms with you. You will most likely be told to store them in your car, and everyone is required to buy a full set of uniforms when they arrive. The only exception I could see is if you're a Chief attending OCS and already have some wash khakis you don't mind trashing.

The only thing priors need to bring in addition to the list provided are copies of your DD-214, and medical records if you have them. Extra ribbons, medals, uniforms are nice if you have them, but you will have opportunities to buy them here.