• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phrost_Bite

Future Flyboy
How Does it work?

I’ve always been curious, do pilots get assigned their own plane? In the movies you see aircraft that have the pilot’s name and call sign on the side. Does this mean that it is the aircraft that they are the only pilots of, or do pilots share aircraft? If they do, does the maintenance crew paint the new aircraft assignment on every time, or do pilots get stuck in planes that have the wrong name on the side? Thanks!

john1513

AK or bust.
pilot
Well, in the movies you also see F-14's in flat-spins headed out to sea :icon_tong. To my understanding, every pilot has his/her name on AN aircraft in the squadron, but aircraft assignment for that day is based on what aircraft are available and the flight schedule. Pilots share aircraft...so you'll probably end up with the "wrong" name on the side.

phrogpilot73

In my squadron, your name was on the side of the aircraft that you were responsible for pilot monthlies. AKA - extensive preflight conducted once a month primarily looking for corrosion. Other than that, the phase tree determines what maintenance assigns you to fly.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I can't believe what I'm readin' ... I MUST be gettin' it wrong.

When switching freqs in a formation, you actually say the word: "PUSH" ???? :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

You mean, today there's actually a procedural hierarchy re: which to use ... ???

I.e., whether to use 'push' or 'switch' or 'go' ... ???
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

STOP !!! YOU'RE KILLIN' ME ... !!!!
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

There's no hierarchy, I use em interchangably.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
In my short time of form flying in the tracom, I've heard "roll", "push", and "flight go" after lead repeats the freq. Also we sometimes use "on tac" to communicate a primary radio freq change when up on tower or ground freq (where you don't make positive check ins or check outs amongst a flight).

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
In a perfect world...

“Push” is used to tell your flight to switch to the designated freq, with no reply or acknowledgment required, i.e. “Devils push 274.0” or “Devil 11 switching 274.0, flight push”

“Go” is supposed to be used in conjunction with other terms, such as “active”, “clear”, “secure” and tells the flight to switch to the secure net, or to encrypted/unencrypted comms. “Go” is also used in conjunction with “broadcast” or “tactical” when talking with AIC/GCI… i.e. “Devils go active”, “Devils go clear” or “Darkstar go broadcast”, “Darkstar go tactical”. ... I've also heard "Devil 11 switching 274.0, flight go"

“Switch” … definition according to the joint comm brevity manual: “Switch the setting on the referenced item.”

When switching freqs, my experience is the lead won’t say shit to the wingmen, i.e no positive check in’s/out’s, and it’s up to the wingmen to hang on. Only exception for positive check in’s is checking into the training area…gotta ensure everybody is up the correct freq before we start fighting.

I’ve heard a lot of “Push” from the AF, and CNATRA aircraft using all three.

SF

Phrost_Bite

Future Flyboy
I see. So you'll end up flying whatever you get assigned. This leads me to another question. If you don't get the same plane everyday, do all the planes handle exactly the same? There is a certain bond that man and machine develop over time, but wouldn't this be difficult to achieve if your in a different plane every flight?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
In my community "push" and "go" have specific meanings as described above. 90% of the time "push" is used. "Go" is good for times like OIF where comms are totally screwed and changing freqs can result in a Chinese fire drill self induced NORDO because wingmen couldn't hear the switch because of all the sidetones and interference.

phrogpilot73

I see. So you'll end up flying whatever you get assigned. This leads me to another question. If you don't get the same plane everyday, do all the planes handle exactly the same? There is a certain bond that man and machine develop over time, but wouldn't this be difficult to achieve if your in a different plane every flight?
All planes fly pretty much the same. Each one has her own little "quirks" though. Whether it's a repeat gripe that they continually can't find the cause of, or she likes to turn right more than left, etc...

The bond is formed between you and your T/M/S, not a specific aircraft.

Bevo16

pilot
Every squadron has a lot more pilots than they do aircraft, so you will fly them all pretty often. Each aircraft has a book that we keep a list of "gripes" about the aircraft in. Each gripe is something that either downs the aircraft (keeps it from being flown until fixed) or is something that you need to know before taking it. If whatever piece of gear that is broken is not required for your mission, then you take it. For instance, a broken sonar reeling machine in a SH-60F does not preclude the aircraft from flying a Search And Rescue mission. Some gripes get "fixed" only to have the problems happen again. "Repeat Gripes" should be given extra attention, as they could come up again and cut your day short.

Even with that, you still have a mental log of your aircraft. Brakes on 613 suck, and you have to be careful landing on the small boys (damn angled deck), AFCS on 615 sucks over 130 kts, 610 shoots a shitty automatic approach...things like that.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Exception

I’ve always been curious, do pilots get assigned their own plane? In the movies you see aircraft that have the pilot’s name

In the tailhook squadrons, CAG usually has an assigned A/C in each of his wing squadrons w/ his name on it (modex X00). Each squadron CO has his name/modex X01. On the few occasions that CAG flys, maint. will make every effort to assign him his A/C, same for Skipper. Other than that...pot luck.:eek:
You may not get to fly "your" plane very often, but there is plenty of time for that "s**t hot" photo op, sitting in the cockpit, helmet on, pepsodent smile; to bring joy to the Honeys, Mom, Dad, Grandpa, Grandma, etc.:D
BzB

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Which Navy community jets or props typically gets the most flight time these days?

E6 drivers have the fattest logbooks in the Navy, or at least that's what i've heard time and time again. I'd guess that E2s would be a close second.

Status
Not open for further replies.