• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevo16

pilot
? Other way around, or is that true in helo-land?

For the love of all that is holy, I screwed that one up. My bad.

This is what happens when you post after a full day of work, 200 pages of reading for my JPME War College Similar, and then 3 hours of class..while watching a basketball game.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the love of all that is holy, I screwed that one up. My bad.

This is what happens when you post after a full day of work, 200 pages of reading for my JPME War College Similar, and then 3 hours of class..while watching a basketball game.

Maybe you need to give the keyboard a rest....

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
E6 drivers have the fattest logbooks in the Navy, or at least that's what i've heard time and time again. I'd guess that E2s would be a close second.

E-2 pilots log all of the time, but only time in the left seat really counts for anything (traps, currency, etc). All right seat time gets you is a nifty plaque and patch from N-G.

E-2CHAWEKE1000HRSsmall.jpg

PIC time helps when you apply to peep Delta. NFO Special Crew hours doesn't count for shit, but we log it anyway. Makes us feel special.

And actually, the E-2 flies less hours per sortie on deployment than the pointy-nose. They can tank, we can't. Yet.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Every squadron has a lot more pilots than they do aircraft, so you will fly them all pretty often.

I see you've already taken some hits on that. I was one of the last classes to fly Hueys in HT-18 - they started the transition to 57s while I was there, and I think there was one class after mine that flew Hueys. At the time I finshed (Jan 82) there were probably 15 students still flying Hueys; there were at least 60 of them on the "flight line", maybe 10 of which were flyable. And there were days when they couldn't get two of them up for the flight schedule.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
A couple of years ago the word from NPC was that HS squadrons had the highest 'at sea' time of any community.
VAW had the highest OPTEMPO of everyone. The VAW guys were sucking up a lot of dets doing counter-drug flights while the HS guys were getting stuck with all the CQ dets for the Fleet, the RAGs and the VTs.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
HS guys were getting stuck with all the CQ dets for the Fleet, the RAGs and the VTs.

While being aboard the CVN and then TAD at the HSC wing, HSC squadrons are doing all the FRS and VT quals...HS has only come aboard for air wing operations in the last 6 months.

~d

vinco

Benefits of having pilot's license before OCS?

I know standardized testing is the dominant factor in deciding pilots for OCS, but in the application there is also a spot to fill in for a pilots license or any flight time one might have. IF a person scored above average on the standard tests, but didn't blow anything out of the water would it be beneficial to have a pilots license or any flight time to help get selected for pilot or is the selection mostly from the scores? Thanks a lot for the inputs. This site is a great source of information

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I know standardized testing is the dominant factor in deciding pilots for OCS, but in the application there is also a spot to fill in for a pilots license or any flight time one might have. IF a person scored above average on the standard tests, but didn't blow anything out of the water would it be beneficial to have a pilots license or any flight time to help get selected for pilot or is the selection mostly from the scores? Thanks a lot for the inputs. This site is a great source of information

Please use the search function.

I'll tell you nicely before the dogpile starts.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
Wouldn't it be sweet if the search bar was HUGE and located in the center of the home page? I think that would resolve some of the issues with questions being asked over and over.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
While being aboard the CVN and then TAD at the HSC wing, HSC squadrons are doing all the FRS and VT quals...HS has only come aboard for air wing operations in the last 6 months.

~d

It's starting to shift more that way. Quite a few of the HS squadrons are deployed and the others are starting to shift to the rag for HSC, so that's who's available. Of course there's onesy-twosy dets that the random HS squadron is getting picked for.

Phoenix289

API- Whiting for Primary
First off, I apologize because I swear I saw this in another thread awhile back but after half an hour of searching could not find what I was looking for.

Anyway, I'm a recent select for Navy BDCP as a SNA. I just wanted to know if there's a significant benefit to getting your private pilot license prior to heading out for training. It costs around or over 3 grand, so I'm contemplating whether to work towards it this summer. From what I understand, you have to get some kind of basic flying lessons either before or after API(Not totally sure) before going to primary. Basically, I just want to know if getting a PPL now will save any time getting through training or if it's better to do it on the Navy's dime. If I'm wrong about anything, please help to clarify. Thanks.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriously? That's been asked dozens of times.

Short answer: no, there's no reason to get your PPL on your own dime.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^^ Oh.... sweet Jesus.

If you are 'meant' to be a Naval Aviator, you'll be one ... if not; all the PPL's and civie-tickets in the world will not make a difference. For 99% of Naval Aviators, past, present, and future ... a PPL did NOT/will NOT make a difference.

However ... if you can get 'UNCLE' to pay for one ... do it. Why not ... ???

You've either got it --- what it takes --- or you don't. A PPL won't change that ...

Status
Not open for further replies.