• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
How Old Are YOU?

Are you old enough to have wings that are straight across the top?

1218090746.jpg

Contrasted with current wings:
Naval_Aviator_Badge.jpg

More importantly, when did this uniform change occur? And does anyone remember it like a big, standardized change or a "Hey, the supplier screwed up the dies"?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
More importantly, when did this uniform change occur? And does anyone remember it like a big, standardized change or a "Hey, the supplier screwed up the dies"?

This is about as good an answer as I think you are going to get online.

pilot811

Fly High!
Alright, so I actually did a search on this and came up with nothing. I'd assume only FA-18 pilots could fill this slot but how do the Blue Angel pilots get picked? Do you have to know someone that is a friend of an uncle? I'm sure getting picked is tough and once you're there no one wants to leave. Anyone know?

Kevin

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Alright, so I actually did a search on this and came up with nothing. I'd assume only FA-18 pilots could fill this slot but how do the Blue Angel pilots get picked? Do you have to know someone that is a friend of an uncle? I'm sure getting picked is tough and once you're there no one wants to leave. Anyone know?

It's similar to rushing a fraternity, i.e., it's volunteer. They get a number of applicants or "rushes" each year. Applicants try to attend as many of the performances that the Blues are doing throughout the airshow season in order for both parties to get to know each other and the environment. The rush list is narrowed down over the year and then all current members of the team vote on their replacements. We went on a cross country to one of their shows and as a "performer" you are invited to all of their (Blues) after-parties - got the low down on how it all works over beer with a Marine C-130 "rush" at the party.

FWIW, there has been numerous shows on the the Discovery networks about them and how it all works too

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

Kevin

You don't have to be a Hornet pilot, but the application process is about as much a pain in the ass as you'd imagine. You apply, they select a certain number to "rush", you follow them around for awhile, they interview you, and eventually they pick however many they need.

Either way it works out, you don't have much to say about how long you stay. It's a normal tour, so 3-4 years.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Kevin

There are several Military Channel specials on the Blues including a Reality Show type format following aspirants through their rashing stage and selection. Pretty well done and will tell more than you ever thought to ask.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From an old post:

"6. To become a Blue Angel was (and I assume still is) a long process. If their website doesn't have it, there are instructions available. Basically you fill out an application. There are some qualifications, i.e. minimum hours, one tour completed, specific aircraft, etc. Then you must have C.O. and higher formal recommendations. After that you spend a season "chasing the Blues" where you attend as many airshows with them as you can. It is like rushing a fraternity. You get a better understanding of the enormous demands on the team, they get to see how you fit in and relate to them, how you relate to the public, and how you might represent the Navy in a most positive way."

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
NavalAviator1.gif

'OLD ENOUGH' ???? How 'old' is that .... ???

This is what mine looked like when I pinned them on ... they were 'born' > 40 years ago and were 'antique-ed' ... my MOM bought 'em for me and pinned 'em on me in K-Ville .... thanks, MOM. :) (<'new' smiley)

Are you old enough to have wings that are straight across the top?

pilot811

Fly High!
Thanks for the replies everyone. That cleared up my question, and to why I haven't seen it on TV (I'm weird I know) but I don't have cable. I'm always busy so I never saw a reason to buy it.

Kevin

SemperGumby

Speaking of Wings... I'll be getting mine on Friday the 15th. My uncle a former A7 driver is going to be pinning me with a set of his old wings. I already have them in my possession and was wondering if I should Clean and polish them or leave them be with all of the "history" intact. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.