• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are there instrument approaches on carriers? if so what kinds?

Yes there are. Mode 1, 2 & 3 are all available.

Mode 1: Coupled approach - George (autopilot) flies the approach to either touchdown (Mode 1) or to 1/2 mile (mode 1A)

Mode 2: Carrier ACLS - Not ILS like at a shore field, but presentation to the pilot is the same. The magic 8 ball on the ship dampens and compensated for the movement of the ship, etc. Also a CILS is avail. ILS like again, but not complensated for motion.

Mode 3: Get your tacan and stopwatch ready, non-precision approach. A CCA (carrier controlled approach) is avail too. That's a verbal talkdown from a radar operator.

Quick & dirty, but there you go...

JackW

never mind that link answers everything, thanks again, ya'll have the coolest job in the world by the way, I'm sure thats the first time you realized that too.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes there are. Mode 1, 2 & 3 are all available.

Mode 1: Coupled approach - George (autopilot) flies the approach to either touchdown (Mode 1) or to 1/2 mile (mode 1A)

Mode 2: Carrier ACLS - Not ILS like at a shore field, but presentation to the pilot is the same. The magic 8 ball on the ship dampens and compensated for the movement of the ship, etc. Also a CILS is avail. ILS like again, but not complensated for motion.

Mode 3: Get your tacan and stopwatch ready, non-precision approach. A CCA (carrier controlled approach) is avail too. That's a verbal talkdown from a radar operator.

Quick & dirty, but there you go...

With JPALS looming on the horizon

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
never mind that link answers everything, thanks again, ya'll have the coolest job in the world by the way, I'm sure thats the first time you realized that too.

Yes, it's a great job except when your landing area drives right under a nice little storm and weather turns to dog squeeze (<- Technical Term for bad weather). :D Or land during a PITCH DARK night. :eek:

-ea6bflyr ;)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, stupid E2/C2 question. What is that "T" shaped panel on top of the wing where it meets the fuselage for? Access panel for the wingfold mechanism?

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Here's a dumb one - When deployed on a carrier, do pilots typically fly the same aircraft for the whole deployment? The reason I ask is I was wondering if every pilot/NFO gets his/her name painted on the aircraft, or if there is some other way this is done.

Forgive the naivity!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's a dumb one - When deployed on a carrier, do pilots typically fly the same aircraft for the whole deployment? The reason I ask is I was wondering if every pilot/NFO gets his/her name painted on the aircraft, or if there is some other way this is done.

Forgive the naivity!

No, and yes. No you are not assigned the same aircraft for EVERY flight. Names on aircraft are driven by seniority. CAG & DCAG on the "Double Nuts" (X00) jet, then down the line until they either run out of jets or run out of names. They usually run out of jets before they run out of names.

It took me almost two years in my fleet squadron before I got my name & callsign on a Prowler.

-ea6bflyr ;)

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Thanks, so there will be times when you are flying a jet with someone else's name/rank on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.