• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zone5

Rookie F18 question

I have noticed in a lot of pictures of F-18s launching off the deck of carriers with both rudder control surfaces angled in towards each other. I was wondering if someone would give me an explanation as to why this is.

Thanks

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Helps the jet capture the correct angle of attack off the catapult for flyaway.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
Generates a nose-up pitching moment. I heard that in some loading configurations the F-18 can't generate enough negative moment solely using control surfaces as intended at take-off. Whether or not that is true I don't know, but it would explain it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard somewhere that it was due to Boeing/McDonnell Douglas engineers miscalculating something in the design process, and that was the easiest fix.

Crowbar

None
I heard somewhere that it was due to Boeing/McDonnell Douglas engineers miscalculating something in the design process, and that was the easiest fix.

I think it's to help the nose pitch up during cat shots. Can't remember where I read that. (Sarcasm.)

zone5

Thanks for the quick answers, at what airspeed after the plane leaves the deck do the rudders move back into their normal configuration?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Well, I hate to ruin the fun, but now my curiosity is piqued. When do the rudders return to normal? And is it only for cat shots or is it done at the field as well?

A PM would be nice, if anyone in the know feels it not appropriate to post in the thread. I'm just curious, as an engineer, as to how that works because no other plane I've seen does the "rudder trim thing." If I'm out of my lane on this one, feel free to flame.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Nerd question, but is there a common nosewheel strut assembly between the E-2 and the A-6/EA-6 family?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nerd question, but is there a common nosewheel strut assembly between the E-2 and the A-6/EA-6 family?

the holdback bar is the same and it uses the same tension bar on the catapult.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe the (E)A-6 and F-14 share main landing gear, but maybe it just looks that way in photos. I do know that the Hawkeye and Prowler share ICS panels, after jumping into a jet where one was labeled "PLT, CPT, CICO, AIO, RO" instead of "PLT, ECM1, ECM2, ECM3, [blank]."

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
The S-3 and A-7 have the same main landing gear, or that was what I was told. Sorry for the threadjack. :eek:

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I believe the (E)A-6 and F-14 share main landing gear, but maybe it just looks that way in photos. I do know that the Hawkeye and Prowler share ICS panels, after jumping into a jet where one was labeled "PLT, CPT, CICO, AIO, RO" instead of "PLT, ECM1, ECM2, ECM3, [blank]."

This it?

Attachments

• ics.JPG
    ics.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 299
Status
Not open for further replies.