• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or if you're a flight student, all the time. They only put instructors' names on the jets there. :D

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, stupid E2/C2 question. What is that "T" shaped panel on top of the wing where it meets the fuselage for? Access panel for the wingfold mechanism?

Not sure what panel you're referring to. Then again, been a while since I did an ACO preflight. Do you have a pic?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, stupid E2/C2 question. What is that "T" shaped panel on top of the wing where it meets the fuselage for? Access panel for the wingfold mechanism?

Pics help...Hell, I worked on the C2 COD for four years and I don't know what you are talking about...but an educated guess would be Flap Drive Rod access panel....:confused:

-ea6bflyr ;)

phrogpilot73

Thanks, so there will be times when you are flying a jet with someone else's name/rank on it?
People asked that question a lot when on static display, and I wouldn't bore them with the real answer (but since you're asking)...

The way you're assigned an aircraft is based on the "Phase Tree". Every 150 hours, an aircraft goes into Phase inspection and is down until they can get the inspection done, then test it back up. The Phase Tree is all of the aircraft in the squadron, each with a certain amount of hours until phase. The one that just came out of phase has got the most amount of hours, and the one that's just about to go into phase has the least amount of hours. Maintenance Control basically picks the aircraft for you, based on how many hours you're going to fly, etc... to keep all the aircraft at some sliding scale towards phase inspection. That way, you don't have 3 aircraft dropping into phase at the same time. Clear as mud?

In our squadron, the only time they painted names on the side was the aircraft you "owned" for pilot monthlies. Most times, just the crewchief and first mech have their names on the sides. After all, we just borrow it from them.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In my last squadron, the MO made up a schedule of who got their names on which planes, for the Corrosion guys to do once the planes came into phase. ROT was you didn't get your name on a plane until you made CAPC/CICO. Pilots went under the cockpit windows, NFOs on the fuselage just behind the prop arc warning stripe. CAG and DCAG on the "nuts" bird, Skipper on 601, XO on 602, everybody else wherever a spot came open when someone else moved on from the squadron.

skillz

Can somebody please explain the process of "dumping fuel"? What is the purpose? and where does it "dump" from?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Can somebody please explain the process of "dumping fuel"?
1. What is the purpose?
2. Where does it "dump" from?
Quick & dirty answers:

1. To lower your inflight/landing weight ... to stay airborne in unusual circumstance(s) or emergency or to get down to an acceptible approach/landing weight to fit the situation.

2. From the dump nozzles -- usually found on the trailing edges of the wing.

skillz

Quick & dirty answers:

1. To lower your inflight/landing weight ... to stay airborne in unusual circumstance(s) or emergency or to get down to an acceptible approach/landing weight to fit the situation.

2. From the dump nozzles -- usually found on the trailing edges of the wing.

Thank you.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, here . . .

c2_07.jpg

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aha. Thanks. Hence the reason to put it in the "stupid questions" thread . . .:eek:

nugget61

pilot
I'm glad that I found the stupid questions thread, I'm full of em.
Here's my big one: will the Navy let me do the physical screening before I join? (My vision is borderline (20/36 - 20/45 depending on conditions) and if I can't fly in the Navy then I would rather go AF then not fly at all)
Thanks!

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
I'm glad that I found the stupid questions thread, I'm full of em.
Here's my big one: will the Navy let me do the physical screening before I join? (My vision is borderline (20/36 - 20/45 depending on conditions) and if I can't fly in the Navy then I would rather go AF then not fly at all)
Thanks!

Yeah, you can take the MEPS vision exam, but it's a bit more difficult...especially the part where they make you bend forward and look all the way up your own asshole. If you can see what you ate 3 days prior, you're good to go.

FWIW, the AF ain't gonna be any easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.