• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of Wings... I'll be getting mine on Friday the 15th. My uncle a former A7 driver is going to be pinning me with a set of his old wings. I already have them in my possession and was wondering if I should Clean and polish them or leave them be with all of the "history" intact. Thanks.

How do plan to wear them in the future? Clean or in their historical condition?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'd leave em. More often than not, they would be on your khakis anyways, and if anyone gives you crap when you are in whites/blues, just tell em the story. I plan on doing the same when I wing here shortly

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Speaking of Wings... I'll be getting mine on Friday the 15th. My uncle a former A7 driver is going to be pinning me with a set of his old wings. I already have them in my possession and was wondering if I should Clean and polish them or leave them be with all of the "history" intact. Thanks.

History only comes from the past, so I'd leave 'em as they are, unless they're 'green & slimy' (and then I'd just get rid of the 'green') ... if you want 'shiny' Wings ... go get another set @ the Uniform Shop.

Slight alteration: some of us (including yours truly) got a pair of Wings from the Exchange and buffed/polished most/all of the engraved portion from the shield -- basically made the shield 'smooth' and Brasso'ed the hell out of it so they were so shiny you'd put your eye out if you weren't wearin' shades. We wore 'em when 'uniformity' was not a requirement.

Trust me ... they looked good.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Slightly OT – I remember a few guys buying and wearing "antiqued" wings back in the day. Are they still available, or an option today?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

History only comes from the past, so I'd leave 'em as they are, unless they're 'green & slimy' (and then I'd just get rid of the 'green') ... if you want 'shiny' Wings ... go get another set @ the Uniform Shop.

Slight alteration: some of us (including yours truly) got a pair of Wings from the Exchange and buffed/polished most/all of the engraved portion from the shield -- basically made the shield 'smooth' and Brasso'ed the hell out of it so they were so shiny you'd put your eye out if you weren't wearin' shades. We wore 'em when 'uniformity' was not a requirement.

Trust me ... they looked good.

Slightly OT ? I remember a few guys buying and wearing "antiqued" wings back in the day. Are they still available, or an option today?

If by "antiqued," you mean the non-anodized ones that are a little darker, then yes, you can still wear them. I use them with cammies or with Alphas.

I don't know what excessive polishing would do to those--I kind of thought the point was for them not to shine. IMHO, if you buffed them 'till they shined, they'd then be too bright to wear with a mostly subdued uniform, yet not shiny enough to match a dress uniform like Blues.

If you want your wings to shine, you buy the anodized ones that stay shiny on their own.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....I don't know what excessive polishing would do to those--I kind of thought the point was for them not to shine. IMHO, if you buffed them 'till they shined, they'd then be too bright to wear with a mostly subdued uniform....
You're eating my brain ...

... Like I said, we only 'shined' the Wings that we ground down/buffed on the shield to get 'em 'smooth' -- no marks/etching -- as the process of 'smoothing' removed the 'finish' and they'd tarnish w/out a regular application of Brasso ... as for the rest of the Wings -- no shine.

nugget61

pilot
Pulling info from old threads, will freshly minted ensigns get their flight physicals shortly after reporting to Pensacola or do they have to wait till their IFS/API time?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Pulling info from old threads, will freshly minted ensigns get their flight physicals shortly after reporting to Pensacola or do they have to wait till their IFS/API time?

Yes, that is one of the first things you do when you check in. That way they can give you the boot before they give you the easiest paid vacation of your life :)

nugget61

pilot
Yes, that is one of the first things you do when you check in. That way they can give you the boot before they give you the easiest paid vacation of your life :)

That's actually what I wanted to hear - researching for an ensignmobile but I don't want to get a car payment till I know I'm med-up. Thanks.

highside7r

None
General overhead break question. My last Navy duty station was Pcola, and I would watch just about everything come in, including the T-39's and Toners. Being in helo-land now, I don't get to see a good fast "carrier break" anymore. Watching various videos, I've noticed that there seems to be no more of the "4-5 second" kiss-off anymore, just both jets in a section breaking about the same time???

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
General overhead break question. My last Navy duty station was Pcola, and I would watch just about everything come in, including the T-39's and Toners. Being in helo-land now, I don't get to see a good fast "carrier break" anymore. Watching various videos, I've noticed that there seems to be no more of the "4-5 second" kiss-off anymore, just both jets in a section breaking about the same time???

We break in interval in T-34 land---if you can call what we do a break.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

In Harrier land this seems to vary from squadron to squadron. I'm a fan of the fan break - where both jets break at the same time; lead just leaves the power up through the break. Some use 2 seconds, some use 4 second intervals. I think the west coast SOP is 2 seconds for sections, 4 for divisions, or vice-versa. How quickly I forget. I like the battle break too (combat spread). Some people are anal about break interval, which I personally think is pretty stupid for a section (important for larger flights). As long as -2 doesn't fuck up the interval on downwind, shorter intervals look nicer and clobber less of the pattern IMO.

One of the reasons El Centro is nice - you can come in for the combat carrier break at 5 bills and no one cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.