• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I've wondered that myself- ever notice the Shuttle Mission Commander qual is an option in SHARP? I wonder if one of the pilots empties the trash and dumps out the coffee while the other runs inside to get the paperwork started.

I'm going to see if I can sneak designation paperwork with that qual through the CO.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I'm not quite sure where to post this question since it's not entirely germane to Naval Aviation, but Feddoc's medal thread got me to thinking: Where does one purchase extra Medals of Honor? Are they a special order kind of thing from the CMOH Society or something? I know that most guys and gals in the military have multiple sets of ribbons for the plethora of uniforms that they may have to wear at any given time, so if an MOH recipient were to want to purchase extra MOH ribbons for their multiple sets of fruit salad, where do they go?

I apologize for a rather random, off-the-wall question, but it popped into my head and I figured that the Great Sages of AW would have the necessary knowledges (Old Guys, I'm looking at y'all:)).

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I believe they come through the supply system. You can't just buy one, at least not a legitimate one.

Our SgtMaj got a replacement MOH for our awards cabinet (for the Marine the base was named after) and he had to jump through all kinds of hoops. It has a number attached to it (engraved on the back) that can be traced. He had to sign for it.

Top_Gun_1_0_1

Hello Shipmates !!!
i was just wondering How Long and wide is a CVN Carrier Runway ???, i couldnt find this info anywhere,...

&

I've heard rumors that a CVN can go run beyond 30+ knots and can reach up to 40-50 knots, .... have anyone here witnessed this amazing feat???

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Hello Shipmates !!!
i was just wondering How Long and wide is a CVN Carrier Runway ???, i couldnt find this info anywhere,...

&

I've heard rumors that a CVN can go run beyond 30+ knots and can reach up to 40-50 knots, .... have anyone here witnessed this amazing feat???

Hull speed (in kts) for a true displacement hull is 1.34 X the square root of the length of the waterline. To go 50 knots you would have to have a 1400 ft waterline. Unless a CVN has a planing hull design it has a limit to how fast it can go no matter how much power you put to it.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Caterpillars?

Does Martin Baker still give out neckties to aircrew who ejected in one of thier seats?

Does anyone know if the Caterpillar Club still exists?

Back in the day ('66), I ejected from a burning A-4C, using a Douglas RAPEC II seat. Shortly afterwards, I received a Certificate, wallet card & a small gold pin of a Caterpillar engraved w/ "CATERPILLAR CLUB". The club was administered by the Switlik Parachute Co., at that time the main manufacturer of USN 'chutes. Membership was issued to any survivor whose life was spared by a Switlik 'chute! :icon_cryi

I still have the pin (and the riser burn scars from the 300+ kt. ejection...not complaining, mind you)! I believe the "Caterpillar" alludes to the silk used in parachute manufacture in early bailouts as in "hitting the silk"! :slug_125:
BzB :sleep_125

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hull speed (in kts) for a true displacement hull is 1.34 X the square root of the length of the waterline. To go 50 knots you would have to have a 1400 ft waterline. Unless a CVN has a planing hull design it has a limit to how fast it can go no matter how much power you put to it.

"Yes, yes, you're very smart. Now shut up."

The unclassified speed is "more than 30 knots." That's all the answer that's really needed.