• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Coota0

None
UH-1/AH-1 guys: Are you a class I or two aircraft?
Who does your weather?

We're a class I and according to the USAF chart UH-1s and AH-1s are the only other aircraft in that category. It was argued by some of our pilots that the three aircraft were all single engined, I argued that the USMC AH-1 and UH-1 were dual engined.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
ACTUALLY ... the 'Shitty Kitty' (for example -- a good 'average') was @ 1070' long OAL and the angle was @ 700'. The effective landing area was @ 120' (FLY THE BALL !!!). The CATs were @ 265' long ... so figure 700' +/- for the angle and 450' +/- for the pointy end ...

Oh yeah ... she had one post office, two barber shops, and one laundry ...

highside7r

None
We're a class I and according to the USAF chart UH-1s and AH-1s are the only other aircraft in that category. It was argued by some of our pilots that the three aircraft were all single engined, I argued that the USMC AH-1 and UH-1 were dual engined.

So much for aircraft recognition, how did your argument go? You might be flying 2 motor UH/AH's if the Army would have bought them.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Maybe this deserves it's own thread, but had a question for the AF bubbas here. Recently did and out and in and parked next to a pair of T-38s (XL on the tail, Del Rio maybe?). Anyways, both the student and instructors didn't have their helmets taped up. They were the stock gray. Is there a reason for that beyond "We never fly in over water in the AETC"? I remember being told in water survival the helmet is one of the first things seen in a rescue.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The AF has different rules when it comes to the helmet and I don't think it's just an AETC thing. I challenge you to find a picture with an AF helmet taped up like the Navy/Marines/CG.

-ea6bflyr ;)

zpatman

Does anyone know if the Caterpillar Club still exists?

Back in the day ('66), I ejected from a burning A-4C, using a Douglas RAPEC II seat. Shortly afterwards, I received a Certificate, wallet card & a small gold pin of a Caterpillar engraved w/ "CATERPILLAR CLUB". The club was administered by the Switlik Parachute Co., at that time the main manufacturer of USN 'chutes. Membership was issued to any survivor whose life was spared by a Switlik 'chute! :icon_cryi

I still have the pin (and the riser burn scars from the 300+ kt. ejection...not complaining, mind you)! I believe the "Caterpillar" alludes to the silk used in parachute manufacture in early bailouts as in "hitting the silk"! :slug_125:
BzB :sleep_125
PIC_0024.JPGPIC_0022.JPG
A gentleman I met at a local airshow who proudly showed me his catepillar card...B-17 pilot and P.O.W...terrific gentleman

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
How does shooting an approach to a boat work? PAR, TACAN... is there a hand-off between approach and the LSO? Do boats have approach plates?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Maybe this deserves it's own thread, but had a question for the AF bubbas here. Recently did and out and in and parked next to a pair of T-38s (XL on the tail, Del Rio maybe?). Anyways, both the student and instructors didn't have their helmets taped up. They were the stock gray. Is there a reason for that beyond "We never fly in over water in the AETC"? I remember being told in water survival the helmet is one of the first things seen in a rescue.

They don't tape them simply because they aren't required to have reflective helmets. And yea...you aren't doing a lot of flying over the water in AETC. 99% of the training MOAs the AF uses in AETC are overland. I liked my AF helmet wayyyy better...the supply guys at Vance did not suck when it came to getting us good kit. The same can not be said for initial issue at PCola when I went through.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
As far as I know, boat controllers have the capability to give you a precision approach (CCA) using a radar just like ground controllers give you a PAR. TACAN is used, but not for precision approaches. As far as approach plates, the boat moves so I don't think they would be as useful. Everything is relative to what direction the boat is pointing, although the holding areas and patterns are somewhat standardized, as well as the approaches.

In helos, the pilots would terminate the approach once they had a visual on the ship. Probably not the most accurate answer, but my best attempt at an educated guess.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The CV NATOPS (NAVAIR 00-80T-105) has all the CV Approaches in Chapter 5.

cv1a.jpg

CV-1 Approach

cv2d.jpg

CV-2 Approach

cv3.jpg

CV-3 Approach (Helo)