• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

MasterBates

FB may or may not be the Marshal radial as well. There's more to it, but the plates sum it up pretty well.

There is a handoff from CCA/ACLS (PALS) to Paddles.

From the plane side it sounds like this:

Approach A or B (Button 15 or 17 normally):"601 3/4 of a mile, slightly left and on, call tha ball"
Me: "601 Hawkeye Ball, 1.9" (insert any relevant shit, such as "port out and feathered" "starboard engine out and windmilling" "10 flaps" here) 1.9 is the fuel state in thousands of pounds
Controlling LSO: "Roger Ball"
Backup (Lineup) LSO: "little right for lineup"
LSO: "Little Power"
CAG PADDLES: "ATTITUDE" (aka, set the hook and stop)

There's a ton more things that can be said, but that is what a handoff and a pass may sound like. And yes, paddles is always saying shit to me. CAG Paddles' favorite seems to be "RIGHT RUDDER" since they do get a bit concerned when they see the nose pointed at them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The CV NATOPS (NAVAIR 00-80T-105) has all the CV Approaches in Chapter 5.

The the LHA Natops and the NWP 3-04.1 (or whatever it's called now...80T-120?) also has their respective approaches. Not sure about the Romeo, but I think the Bravo Natops still has an approach in it. Then again, I don't tend to open that book very much, so I may be wrong.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...From the plane side it sounds like this: 3 (THREE!!!???) LSOs talkin' ...

THREE ??!!?? Talking on the freq on the same approach ???

That's patently UNSAT for a variety of reasons ... and while two (2) talkin' (if need be) is not 'unusual', i.e.: a controlling LSO (or trainee) and a CAG/AirWing LSO ...

... but THREE (3) on the same pass ??? Leaves you wide open for confusion, mixed signals, and -- intimately -- a bad day. (read: accident)

Unbelievable ...

MasterBates

It's all I've ever known. I can usually pick out Pawnee, Cannonball and Toe (or insert whoever is on the wave team) distinctly.

Controlling does G/S, backup does lineup, CAG Paddles does whatever he feels is needed. That's how it was explained to me when I asked why I heard 3 dudes on the radio one pass.

I'm not a Paddler. I was "too senior" when I checked in, even though the RAG sent me to be a LSO. Go figure.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FB may or may not be the Marshal radial as well. There's more to it, but the plates sum it up pretty well.

Yes, there's a 12 NM arc; If you are more than 20˚ from final bearing, then you take a 30˚ cut to intercept either FB or 12NM arc. There are associated airspeeds with DME and certain actions you need to take along the conga line (Slow to APPR speed, Dirty up, Call platform, etc.). Once you do case III/II a few times, you'll get the hang of it pretty quick.

-ea6bflyr ;)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the down and dirty, Gents.

MB, how's a single engine bolter/wave off in the turbo salad shooter go down?

MasterBates

Power-MAX
Metric-Ass-Ton of rudder
When VSI zeros or is positive, Gear up
>125KIAS, Flaps - 10

It does not like single engine waveoffs past "the middle" (5-8 seconds from touchdown). Those be sporty. I was riding copilot when we got waved off single engine because some dipshit crossed the foul line. At night
.:propeller:icon_long

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The the LHA Natops and the NWP 3-04.1 (or whatever it's called now...80T-120?) also has their respective approaches. Not sure about the Romeo, but I think the Bravo Natops still has an approach in it. Then again, I don't tend to open that book very much, so I may be wrong.

80T-122... Also has handling options for pretty much any US or allied help out there and how to tie it down. Most importantly it has EPs in it and how the deck crew is going to handle, say, a boost failure. Lots of little differences between it and big deck NATOPS.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I've heard it refered to as the "80 Tango" by most folks now. Some of us old timers will still
call it " the pub formally known as NWP 42"

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've heard it refered to as the "80 Tango" by most folks now.

This always irked me because every pub now is the "80 Tango." I was never quite sure why the NWP was dubbed the "80 Tango" and none of the others made the cut.

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Power-MAX
Metric-Ass-Ton of rudder
When VSI zeros or is positive, Gear up
>125KIAS, Flaps - 10

It does not like single engine waveoffs past "the middle" (5-8 seconds from touchdown). Those be sporty. I was riding copilot when we got waved off single engine because some dipshit crossed the foul line. At night
.:propeller:icon_long

Do you guys use the flight director for the OEI miss? I fly the "Q-400" and it has gobs of power and a OEI missed approach is a non-event if you are already singled up...However, if you go missed AEI and loose it right as you are pushing the power up it can be REALLY sporty! We only have the autofeather on for T/O and initial climb and then it stays off the remainder of the flight. No one has adequately explained why that is the procedure, but there it is! Anyway, if you bag an engine under these conditions you have 5071shp on one side trying to roll you over...So, FULL rudder to kill the nose drift....BUT we have roll spoilers and small ailerons...So, have to be cautious with using too much aileron/roll spoiler input...Pitch for V2 attitude and call for memory items...