• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... I have one last question to ask...if Math, Physics, or "book knowledge" aren't really required, what are some reasons (Marine) trainees fail/wash out of flight training?
Why, it's because they're Marines. We had to keep some of those boys flyin' over the lunch hour -- otherwise they'd forget how ... :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Hahahhaa thanks guys. Gave me a alot of relief and a chuckle.

I have one last question to ask...if Math, Physics, or "book knowledge" aren't really required, what are some reasons trainees fail/wash out of flight training?

Cause they suck. In reality, right now, the attrition rate is very low. As of two years ago, it was around 11% in primary for all causes, DOR, NPQ and poor performance. Slightly lower for advanced flight training. The goal in flight school is not to boot you but get you through. Some folks just don't have what it takes to fly. If you can do basic math (addition, subtraction), you can fly.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...and the majority of those that are "attrited" have actually quit. Of that 11% Bunk mentions, probably 1-2% are actually told to leave.

Wickle

Is it possible to pass the inital physical requirements to obtain a PLC Air Contract (Vision, physicals, etc.), get one, and later on be ruled out of flight training for failing another physical down the road? Are there any ways to prevent this from happening?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Is it possible to pass the inital physical requirements to obtain a PLC Air Contract (Vision, physicals, etc.), get one, and later on be ruled out of flight training for failing another physical down the road? Are there any ways to prevent this from happening?

Yes. As for prevention, if you are talking about disqualifying medical conditions, try not to lose any limbs or break bones in a bad way in the meantime. Aside from that, it's sort of out of your control, just like a lot of other elements related to flight school.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

Wear your dorky eye protection while blundering around in the Quantico-like terrain

gotta_fly

pilot
People DOR because they don't like it?
People DOR for a lot of reasons; family issues, they don't like flying (or get airsick or something), they find out it's actually a lot of hard work to get your wings, etc. I think a lot of people who DOR do it when they see the writing on the wall. That is to say, if I'm getting attrited tomorrow I DOR today (you can't fire me, I quit!).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
People DOR because they don't like it?
One of my classmates (from college & from Primary) DOR'd. He was a above average beach-boy athlete and a below average book-student, both of which carried over into his overall TRACOM experience & performance ...

When he announced his DOR decision at a party one fine night, he told us that flyin' was "not giving (him) enough KICKS" ... (??)

Sooooooooo ... he DOR'd.

The NAVY, in it's own good humored, mirthful way ... assigned him to the Riverine Force in the Delta, as a boot Ensign, of course ... we later heard he'd found quite a goodly number of "kicks" in the Brown-water Navy ...
:)

imagevwraspx.jpg
image002yu.jpg

>>>> So ... "not enough kicks" ... now that could be another reason to DOR. :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I used to work down the hall from Stucon at TW-5 and got to hear about some of the funny stories concerning DOR's, attrites and what not. So a couple of years ago, a Marine DOR'd for whatever reason. I assume that night he changed his mind and then next day, asked to come back in. He was obviously told no so on a Friday night, he tore up a bar in Mobile. Pretty much ensured there was no way back.

Stucon posted a letter a student wrote to the Comodore concerning his being recommeded for attrite. It was pretty sweet as it lay the blame on everyone but him. Basically, he was a victim due to all the IP's being bad.

Another wore the wrong uniform seeing the commodore...or maybe showed in civies. I forget which.

Reminds me of the time a enlisted kid showed up for Captain's Mast with his rank stapled onto his uniform. That was at VAW-120 as I recall.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Reminds me of the time a enlisted kid showed up for Captain's Mast with his rank stapled onto his uniform. That was at VAW-120 as I recall.

I remember hearing a story when I was in A-school of a kid who went to mast with his rank velcroed on in anticipation of being busted down. Well, he was, and pulled the velcro rank off right after the Skipper gave him the verdict. The story goes that the Skipper was pissed about the velcro stunt and busted him down another paygrade.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I remember hearing a story when I was in A-school of a kid who went to mast with his rank velcroed on in anticipation of being busted down. Well, he was, and pulled the velcro rank off right after the Skipper gave him the verdict. The story goes that the Skipper was pissed about the velcro stunt and busted him down another paygrade.

I remember hearing that story back in the 80's. I always thought no way could anyone be that stupid than I met a young AT who made third class 4 times over a 6 year time frame. It seems he was real book smart but didn’t have a lick of common sense.

As for the velcro story, I think it is just that.

Wickle

Yes. As for prevention, if you are talking about disqualifying medical conditions, try not to lose any limbs or break bones in a bad way in the meantime. Aside from that, it's sort of out of your control, just like a lot of other elements related to flight school.

I understand about the bone, or other injuries you might get while in OCS, TBS, etc. I was wondering about the other ones like vision, etc.

Would the initial physical to qualify for the contract be as thorough as the one you take before entering flight school? I am worried that you might be able to pass the requirement to obtain an Air Contract and get DQ'd by the Navy Flight Physical before training.