• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sounds like change is coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I would expect a better joke from an aviator, but then, I realized that a) you are not aviator qualified and b) I have accumulated more time taking a dump at test-depth than you have in the Navy. :D

syllabus complete, sucker. all there is now is for me not to get arrested between today and the end of the month and I get some shiny new wings. Actually, shiny old wings, but wings nonetheless. :)

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
syllabus complete, sucker. all there is now is for me not to get arrested between today and the end of the month and I get some shiny new wings. Actually, shiny old wings, but wings nonetheless. :)

Like we used to say... Until you get your fish (submarine warfare pin), you're still a NUB (non-useful body) :D

Congrats, though :icon_wink

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or, if you are professional football player, smacking another man on his ass.

So let me get this straight, you're not supposed to give other guys in the squadron a "Good Game" hit every once in a while? I'm pretty sure it was in our squadron SOP. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

SkywardET

Contrarian
There was a gayzer in my boot camp division. It was handled because there were an unlimited number of witnesses. If this repeal of DADT makes it so that we can no longer handle situations like that, then it is a mistake. I'd settle for DADTDC (Don't ask, don't tell, don't care if it leaks out), but if there's no recourse to deal with stares or if telling someone to stop talking about inappropriate stuff "violates their right to be openly gay in the military" then that is an unjustified law.

The comparison to the full racial integration of the military is unfounded, and the only partial comparison can be to the gender integration, which still isn't a full integration. Women serve with numerous considerations added to accomodate them, such as separate berthings, showers, accomodations for pregnancy, and so forth. If DADT is repealed, some accomodations might similarly have to be made. If we're all so professional, able-bodied eager individuals, there's really no need for separate showers. We all know the truth, however; and that is that Starship Troopers got it right. ;)

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
...if you choose to separate yourself from societal norms then you should be willing to accept the consequences of that choice.

I beg to differ. Conformity and homogony are the enemies of both productivity and democracy. To put it simply, it takes all kinds to make the world go around.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Just treat same-sex sexual harassment the same as opposite-sex sexual harassment. Problem solved!

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Maybe some people choose to be gay; I'll buy that.

However, I do know openly gay individuals who, for the life of them, cannot imagine why anyone would choose to be so.

Maybe some people choose to be gay; I'll buy that.

However, I do know openly gay individuals who, for the life of them, cannot imagine why anyone would choose to be so.

That's true. One of my friends' dad turned out to be gay and obviously had a hard time with it. The whole religion-fueled "it's purely a choice" thing is retarded. But at the same time what is wrong with the current system? Why can't they live their life, and keep it out of the workplace?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
But at the same time what is wrong with the current system? Why can't they live their life, and keep it out of the workplace?

That's the whole point, they can't live their life. They're having to hide who they are and hide their lifestyle completely. One of their buddies wants to go get a drink and chase some tail..what is he/she supposed to say? Or..let's say the gay guy/gal gets married in a state that legalizes it. You see a ring on his finger and say "How about you and your wife come out with me and mine..let's get some dinner." What is he supposed to say?

Then they have to start building up lie after lie, how can your fellow squadron mate perform at the top of his abilities when this is all at the back of his mind?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Then they have to start building up lie after lie, how can your fellow squadron mate perform at the top of his abilities when this is all at the back of his mind?

How would they IMSAFE their homosexuality?! We'd have to come up with a completely new catchy ORM acronym.

Also, I can't breathe in this thread, because of the gayness...

Sorry. I've got nothing valuable to contribute, so I thought I'd throw down something worthless and smartass.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
There was a gayzer in my boot camp division. It was handled because there were an unlimited number of witnesses. If this repeal of DADT makes it so that we can no longer handle situations like that, then it is a mistake. I'd settle for DADTDC (Don't ask, don't tell, don't care if it leaks out), but if there's no recourse to deal with stares or if telling someone to stop talking about inappropriate stuff "violates their right to be openly gay in the military" then that is an unjustified law.

The comparison to the full racial integration of the military is unfounded, and the only partial comparison can be to the gender integration, which still isn't a full integration. Women serve with numerous considerations added to accomodate them, such as separate berthings, showers, accomodations for pregnancy, and so forth. If DADT is repealed, some accomodations might similarly have to be made. If we're all so professional, able-bodied eager individuals, there's really no need for separate showers. We all know the truth, however; and that is that Starship Troopers got it right. ;)
As put forth numerous times...there is currently sexual harassement regs for folks saying inappropriate things and staring. Common sense says that those things done by a homosexual would also be grounds for harassement charges.

The barring of blacks and women from jobs they could physically do was due to attitudes of those stopping them from serving, the same way that barring gays from jobs they can physically do is attitude based. It doesn't matter whether blacks don't have a choice or women don't have a choice, what matters is the road block is based on the attitudes of those in power.

It is great that someone knew twins where one became gay and one remained straight, however things like cancer, alcoholism, and other genetic diseases predispositions have been shown in just one in a set of twins, if I remember from a NOVA show I watched on twins (I am a twin, so I had a vested interest). There was speculation on why, but it could have been environmental influences.

Researchers are still looking at causes of sexual orientation, whether biological, prenatal hormones, prenatal stress, birth order and other stuff. The American Psychaitric Association has stated "some people believe that sexual orientation is innate and fixed; however, sexual orientation develops across a person’s lifetime." They go on to state "most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation."

A neighbor's kid was 6 when I moved in to my first duty station; he was slightly effeminate and displaying more "feminized" traits when playing with other kids, and in his interests. By the time I left 3 years later, it had become more pronounced. We still keep in touch with his mom, and about 4 or five year ago when he was 19 he came out to his parents. I'm unsure when he made his "choice"; perhaps while watching Transformers or Thundercats.

Status
Not open for further replies.