• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA and Depth Perception

KAK6060

I just received my SNA selection after getting a waiver signed by a civilian doctor for depth perception. I suggest consulting a different recruiter on this. My first recruiter did the same thing. I switched recruiters (because I knew it was possible) and found the new one much more helpful. As far as the exact form name, I'm not sure. Don't give up on it, good luck.

Igloojam

pilot
Like many of you, I also failed the depth perception at meps and was informed by my recruiter that I would be unable to apply for SNA. I asked him if I was able to get a second opinion from a civilian eye doctor after reading this thread and he was persistent in saying no and that I had to pass the test via meps. Any advice as to what I should say to him or what the waiver might be called for him to ask someone if he actually is unclear about the restrictions?

Seriously go find a new OR. Take it to NRC Inspector General of need be. That's bullshit. Regs allow what you're asking and he's being a dick.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Seriously go find a new OR. Take it to NRC Inspector General of need be. That's bullshit. Regs allow what you're asking and he's being a dick.

All stop, dude. That recruiter isn't being a dick. N3M has been cracking down applicants getting eye consults outside of MEPS. There has been a growing and concerning trend of applicants failing a certain eye exam, shopping around eye doctors around town, and finally getting an N3M PQ letter only to fail the NAMI physical at OCS. N3M gets scrutinized hard for applicants who fail physicals including Pilot/NFO applicants when they go through NAMI.

In the end, the applicant has to pass an eye exam administered by the Navy/DoD.

Igloojam

pilot
All stop, dude. That recruiter isn't being a dick. N3M has been cracking down applicants getting eye consults outside of MEPS. There has been a growing and concerning trend of applicants failing a certain eye exam, shopping around eye doctors around town, and finally getting an N3M PQ letter only to fail the NAMI physical at OCS. N3M gets scrutinized hard for applicants who fail physicals including Pilot/NFO applicants when they go through NAMI.

Totally understand individuals could abuse it. I may have been a little harsh. I still believe however, until Big Navy sends out official word regarding cessation of civ doctors in usage for eyesight waivers for med pre quals, the OR should allow the applicant such opportunity. I also feel strongly about this because the AFVT standard for passing is 25 arc seconds (line d) where the stereo net randot test is 40 arc seconds. Remember lower means more difficult.

So unless MEPs wants to begin administering all qualified tests per the NAMI testing standards, then I believe he should be allowed a second opinion.

exNavyOffRec

not surprised from what I saw.

exNavyOffRec

Totally understand individuals could abuse it. I may have been a little harsh. I still believe however, until Big Navy sends out official word regarding cessation of civ doctors in usage for eyesight waivers for med pre quals, the OR should allow the applicant such opportunity. I also feel strongly about this because the AFVT standard for passing is 25 arc seconds (line d) where the stereo net randot test is 40 arc seconds. Remember lower means more difficult.

So unless MEPs wants to begin administering all qualified tests per the NAMI testing standards, then I believe he should be allowed a second opinion.

All it takes is a memo from NRC to NRD's saying the only documents that can be submitted for eye exams are from MEPS, seen too many fail at MEPS, pass civ doc, then fail at OCS/Pensacola

FormerRecruitingGuru

There has never been official word for recruiters allowing applicants getting second or third opinions with a personal doctor either.

Armitage

Like many of you, I also failed the depth perception at meps and was informed by my recruiter that I would be unable to apply for SNA. I asked him if I was able to get a second opinion from a civilian eye doctor after reading this thread and he was persistent in saying no and that I had to pass the test via meps. Any advice as to what I should say to him or what the waiver might be called for him to ask someone if he actually is unclear about the restrictions?

When I talked to my recruiter and gave him the evaluation from a civilian optometrist he sent it up to NAMI and as far as I know that's all we had to do.

There's no waiver for depth perception so if you legitimately fail it, you're out. By getting an optometrist to evaluate your eyes you're basically showing NAMI that meps screwed up on your test.

I realize that probably isn't too helpful but I don't have any more information to give you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

When I talked to my recruiter and gave him the evaluation from a civilian optometrist he sent it up to NAMI and as far as I know that's all we had to do.

There's no waiver for depth perception so if you legitimately fail it, you're out. By getting an optometrist to evaluate your eyes you're basically showing NAMI that meps screwed up on your test.

I realize that probably isn't too helpful but I don't have any more information to give you.

Your recruiter sends MEDDOCS to N3M, not NAMI. Your first involvement with NAMI isn't until OCS.

flynavy830

Here is where I'm confused, say someone fails at MEPS and goes to get RANDOT testing done outside, and they pass 100%. The wavier guide lists this test as acceptable, but people are always talking about the OCS flight physical where they then again fail the same test they saw at MEPS. At the same time, I've read a few people who mention they took the RANDOT test at OCS and have been fine ever since. So, does it come down to who you deal with up at OCS?

Igloojam

pilot
Here is where I'm confused, say someone fails at MEPS and goes to get RANDOT testing done outside, and they pass 100%. The wavier guide lists this test as acceptable, but people are always talking about the OCS flight physical where they then again fail the same test they saw at MEPS. At the same time, I've read a few people who mention they took the RANDOT test at OCS and have been fine ever since. So, does it come down to who you deal with up at OCS?

What you are talking about is addressed exactly in my post above...

NAMI accepts either 3 of the tests. They will offer you the randot if you ask at OCS... So I'm told, and as they should, per their regulations.

flynavy830

What you are talking about is addressed exactly in my post above...

NAMI accepts either 3 of the tests. They will offer you the randot if you ask at OCS... So I'm told, and as they should, per their regulations.

I know, I'm just curious about the second half of what you stated though. When it comes to actually taking it again at OCS and getting the RANDOT administered. Seen so many mixed results.

Igloojam

pilot
I know, I'm just curious about the second half of what you stated though. When it comes to actually taking it again at OCS and getting the RANDOT administered. Seen so many mixed results.

from muliple sources I have heard they offer it... is that what youre asking?

flynavy830

Yes. Because I've seen many instance of someone going the exact route of RANDOT on civilian side and then failing at OCS since they didn't allow/offer the RANDOT. Just trying to prepare if I have to cross that road eventually, what are you supposed to do if you get up there and you aren't able to take an alternative?