• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA and Depth Perception

Armitage

Hello Everyone,

Last night my recruiter dropped the bomb on me that I had been disqualified for SNA because I didn't score high enough on the Depth Perception test. This was pretty baffling to me but I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's not a mistake of some kind and try to move forward.

I've heard that it's possible to get around this by seeing a civilian optometrist, and I've got an appointment with one later on today. I'm also doing every depth-perception exercise I can find online to try and strengthen my chances however I can. Unfortunately I also heard that most candidates who get through via a civilian optometrist fail the depth perception at OCS.

I'd really love to hear from anyone who was in a similar situation, or even if you just know someone who was.

Thank you all for your time, and congratulations to everyone who got selected for SNA/NFO on this board, I hate you.

mb1685

To piggyback on this question, could anyone who's gone through OCS and had trouble with the AFVT comment on their experience with taking one of the alternative approved tests? The main thing I'm wondering is if the doctors have an attitude of "just because I can give you this other test doesn't mean I will". I found the AFVT very difficult at MEPS but about a month earlier I had taken the Randot at a civilian optometrist's office (just out of curiosity) and it was a piece of cake. I'm just wondering how willing NAMI is to give those other tests if someone has trouble with the AFVT.

Tgalvin30

@Armitage I had a similar experience after going through MEPS. The nurse that administered the depth perception test told me I passed. My recruiter called the next week to tell me I failed it. I went to a civilian optometrist the next day where he tested for arc (forget what the standard is and what the test is called but the Dr. should know) and passed with flying colors. I got a waiver and everything was fine. Got Pro-Rec Y today. Best of luck to you!

Armitage

@Armitage I had a similar experience after going through MEPS. The nurse that administered the depth perception test told me I passed. My recruiter called the next week to tell me I failed it. I went to a civilian optometrist the next day where he tested for arc (forget what the standard is and what the test is called but the Dr. should know) and passed with flying colors. I got a waiver and everything was fine. Got Pro-Rec Y today. Best of luck to you!

Thanks, that's good news. Good luck with the tests at OCS, let me know if they give you any trouble there. And congratulations on the Pro-Rec Y!

Also I wish my recruiter had told me as soon as yours did. I didn't even know I was disqualified until this boards results came in.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
I was in the same boat as Tgalvin, but that was some time ago. Nurse said I was fine, recruiter told me I picked up NFO since I failed the Depth Perception test. It was news to me since I never have had a problem with depth perception. I went the civilian PROFESSIONAL route and he said my eyes were fine. Re-submitted and picked up pilot. I've had no issues with depth perception ever since then. Navy tests are dumb.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Like the story above, I failed the depth perception at MEPS. My OSO told me to go see a civilian doctor and he said I was fine. Every year I fail the same navy depth perception test, then pass the alternate test.

Armitage

Thanks guys this is making me feel much better. For a minute there I though I was screwed. I'll resubmit with a note from my optometrist ASAP.

Armitage

So I just finished my appointment with the optometrist. I have nearly 20/15 vision and I scored as well as their depth perception test would allow. (40 seconds of arc). So i guess MEPS messed up. Which isn't much of a surprise, when I went the first time they made me get a cardiac waiver because my heart rate was 58 bpm.

mb1685

So I just finished my appointment with the optometrist. I have nearly 20/15 vision and I scored as well as their depth perception test would allow. (40 seconds of arc). So i guess MEPS messed up. Which isn't much of a surprise, when I went the first time they made me get a cardiac waiver because my heart rate was 58 bpm.

The MEPS test just seems to really suck. I've seen a lot of people in the "All Things Vision" thread here talk about doing terrible on the MEPS test but fine with others (both at OCS and subsequently during their annual flight physicals). I could see 25 seconds of arc on the Randot but I really struggled with the damn MEPS test and was lucky that they were very patient with me. But I am paranoid about doing bad on the AFVT at OCS and the doctor being in a bad mood or something and refusing to give me one of the other tests.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Out of curiosity, are these flight surgeons reviewing the exams or some other medical professional? I ask only because I have always had a difficult time with the depth perception test (donuts) but I have never met a flight surgeon with a desire to NPQ someone.

Perhaps a bit random, but a little over a month ago I met the flight surgeon who paved the way for the Navy to allow PRK. It's pretty cool to meet someone who made a direct, positive impact on ones career without you ever knowing it.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Out of curiosity, are these flight surgeons reviewing the exams or some other medical professional? I ask only because I have always had a difficult time with the depth perception test (donuts) but I have never met a flight surgeon with a desire to NPQ someone.

Perhaps a bit random, but a little over a month ago I met the flight surgeon who paved the way for the Navy to allow PRK. It's pretty cool to meet someone who made a direct, positive impact on ones career without you ever knowing it.

For OCS applicants, the physical forms are typically reviewed by an HM over at the N3M shop at NRC. If someone is potentially going to be a DQ, then an MD or Nurse Practitioner will re-review before making a final decision.

Applicants don't deal with a flight doc until they're at OCS.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
For OCS applicants, the physical forms are typically reviewed by an HM over at the N3M shop at NRC. If someone is potentially going to be a DQ, then an MD or Nurse Practitioner will re-review before making a final decision.

Applicants don't deal with a flight doc until they're at OCS.

I would say this is a broken process.

Maybe when the E-4 at MEPS decides some test is going to DQ you from a specific pipeline you are interested in, then a flight doc takes a look at you. It isn't like they are real DRs and we can't just make more.

exNavyOffRec

I would say this is a broken process.

Maybe when the E-4 at MEPS decides some test is going to DQ you from a specific pipeline you are interested in, then a flight doc takes a look at you. It isn't like they are real DRs and we can't just make more.

MEPS personnel don't know what DQ's people for each service, and 99.9% of the people they process are for enlisted that don't need depth perception. When the physical is given to the NRD they should do a quick scan to make sure all is in order, I caught several that had issues that were not an issue for general enlistment but would be for those going SNA or URL, then the OR can let the person know so they can see a civilian doc.

It only takes a few minutes to scan a physical.

Ryan Ensor

just want to say thanks a ton for this thread everyone, failed the depth test at MEPS but had 20/20 still. I'm about to go to a civilian doctor next week to get an alternate test. I was worried my dreams of being a pilot would be over because of that but this all gives me hope!

Big-Red

just want to say thanks a ton for this thread everyone, failed the depth test at MEPS but had 20/20 still. I'm about to go to a civilian doctor next week to get an alternate test. I was worried my dreams of being a pilot would be over because of that but this all gives me hope!
Yea don't worry about it man it seems like a lot of people have trouble with the depth perception at MEPS, I remember getting the call from my recruiter telling me I'm DQ'd from the SNA program. A visit to an actual optometrist cleared that all up and now I have my pro-rec.