• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Significant Event in the Harrier Force

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
248515_10151063338306483_1263318107_n.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Oddly poetic that a 211 CO dies defending an airfield, 70 years after the last time.

2sBrownBear

None
My squadron has followed this in the news over the past few weeks, but i did not personally know Otis. That being said, i have had the opportunity to work with and learn from some of the all time greats in the A-10 community, both in training and combat. However, the "welcome aboard" memo that Lt Col Raible penned may be one of the most important and poignant documents i have ever read in my time as an Attack pilot.

It will be printed out and posted in my squadron at my first opportunity.

Job well done, Sir. You will be sorely missed by the CAS community. Here's to him....

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Job well done, Sir. You will be sorely missed by the CAS community. Here's to him....

We in VA-146, had the unfortunate experience of losing our Skipper (CDR Hube Loheed), on our first day of combat up North. As you can imagine, it really hurts. It was the first combat experience for everyone in the Squadron, and the relatively new XO, was suddenly "the man", and he responded beautifully. Just starting a ~8 month deployment, in the back of everyone's mind... "at this rate, how could we survive" a full cruise? Our sister A-4 Sqdn lost a bird the same day (pilot recovered) & our A-1 Sqdn VA-145, also had a bird shot down (pilot captured) - LT Dieter Dengler NC, killed several guards escaping after 5 mos. captivity, and evaded until finally rescued.:eek:

Despite our fears and uncertainty that day, we lost 2 more aircraft on the cruise, but brought the rest of our pilots back home.:)

*Busy Bee 1 - CDR Hubert Loheed
CAPT Hubert Loheed.jpg
KIA 01FEB1966 - RIP Skipper
BzB

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A-1 Sqdn VA-145, also had a bird shot down (pilot captured) - LT Dieter Dengler NC, killed several guards escaping after 5 mos. captivity, and evaded until finally rescued.:eek:

BzB
Holy cow, that was your cruise? His experieces make quite a story.
Gald you made it back.

Rellag

I've been out for well over a decade, and didn't know Col. Raible,

But his standing orders represent all that is, was, and will ever be good and right about the Navy and Marine Corps.

His ideas need to live on, in the same way 'Message to Garcia' and 'Ripley at the Bridge' have survived their eponyms as shared tokens for adaptability and resourcefulness.

Here's my modest proposal:

60 for Otis

Spend 60 focused minutes a day, as he suggests, improving your professional capability.

(for avoidance of doubt: working on PQS represents a minimal least-common-denominator standard. I sincerely doubt that's what he was after)

But explicitly call it that:

ask others "What's your 60 for Otis today?"

and tell others "Go away, I'm doing 60 for Otis"

Start a sticky thread on the board called "60 for Otis" and document what you did.

I think in five years it will result in a unimaginably changed Corps and Navy.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I've been out for well over a decade, and didn't know Col. Raible,

But his standing orders represent all that is, was, and will ever be good and right about the Navy and Marine Corps.

His ideas need to live on, in the same way 'Message to Garcia' and 'Ripley at the Bridge' have survived their eponyms as shared tokens for adaptability and resourcefulness.

Here's my modest proposal:

60 for Otis

Spend 60 focused minutes a day, as he suggests, improving your professional capability.

(for avoidance of doubt: working on PQS represents a minimal least-common-denominator standard. I sincerely doubt that's what he was after)

But explicitly call it that:

ask others "What's your 60 for Otis today?"

and tell others "Go away, I'm doing 60 for Otis"

Start a sticky thread on the board called "60 for Otis" and document what you did.

I think in five years it will result in a unimaginably changed Corps and Navy.

Great idea. I love it.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
VMA-211 is back in the fight. Outstanding work gentlemen.

AV8B-2.jpg

U.S. Marine Corps Capt. Stephen W. White, an AV-8B Harrier aircraft pilot with Marine Attack Squadron (VMA) 211, Marine Aircraft Group 13, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing (Forward), relocates a Harrier to Camp Bastion, Helmand province, Afghanistan, Sept. 26, 2012. Six Harriers were relocated to Camp Bastion to increase the overall readiness level after the base was attacked Sept. 14, 2012. (DoD photo by Sgt. Keonaona Paulo, U.S. Marine Corps/Released)