• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Significant Event in the Harrier Force

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
We're long on talk, short on solutions. ..,,,,, Either all in or all out. No in-between is acceptable.

Exactly. It should have been all in from the start. If we don't have the stomach for what that means, then let's just do what we can to limit the damage.

My vote is for all in, full fury, scorched earth.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Okay...I've been lectured. Got it. What's your solution? Burn the crops; slaughter the herds; poison the wells; sow salt in the fields; kill all the first born; "Duke Nukem"?

This is not a "win-lose" deal. I respect your opinions on all subjects and do not pretend to have most of the answers myself. Two conclusions I draw from the events of the past 7-10 days: (a) Subjugating facts to policy doesn't work for any administration, and (b) We must provide sufficient security for our embassies/consulates in the Mideast or we will lost more people.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Exactly. It should have been all in from the start. If we don't have the stomach for what that means, then let's just do what we can to limit the damage.

My vote is for all in, full fury, scorched earth.

By all-in, I meant not quitting in getting the Afghans ready to take over for us if they aren't, the TB will be back in charge the moment we leave. The new directive to cease partnered ops below battalion level has me worried that we're just going to hunker down in force pro mode till 2014.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I've heard different stories on how well the Afghans are working with our guys at the ground level, and most of them aren't good. What do we do if they're unwilling to take it over?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Same as the British & Russians before us: Take our shit and go home.
And that's a good thing. Al Qaeda is no longer a player there (and won't be again, by most accounts), which was ostensibly the reason we went in. We'll keep enough specialized folks there to do the CT mission, but everyone else should get the fuck out. Besides, we're pivoting to PACOM now - hopefully a little less nasty.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
..Whoever runs/ran security needs to be fired...
Contractors (who aren't allow to engage in "combat"), Jordanians and Tongans.

The biggest mistake in this incident was letting the "locals" build their compounds just outside the wire along "shit river". We were saying that 2 years ago when I was there. The BLS complex is in the middle of nowhere and even though the bad guys wanted to hit the place, they couldn't get close enough without getting blasted because there was no place to hide.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Contractors (who aren't allow to engage in "combat"), Jordanians and Tongans.

The biggest mistake in this incident was letting the "locals" build their compounds just outside the wire along "shit river". We were saying that 2 years ago when I was there. The BLS complex is in the middle of nowhere and even though the bad guys wanted to hit the place, they couldn't get close enough without getting blasted because there was no place to hide.

It's a bit more complicated than that. Yes, foreign nationals or foreign contractors "defend" most embassies and compounds (really ID checks and vehicle inspections) but the host country military/police are the actual defenders. The Chancellery, the actual embassy building(s) are defended by the Marines who's true job is to protect property and not people.

State has been on a pretty aggressive New Embassy Building (NEC) program for the last few years and that's moving the embassies out to the edge of town where a force protection perimeter can be established. It's a standard design with the color/exterior materials designed to fit the local culture and they're pretty nice. Both Tripoli and Bengazi (and I've been to both) were little more updated nice houses. It won't be that way going forward.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I've heard different stories on how well the Afghans are working with our guys at the ground level, and most of them aren't good. What do we do if they're unwilling to take it over?

I'll be advising one of their battalions starting next month. I'll let you know.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just saw this . . . and it sucks. God Bless his (and the others) families.

It bothers me that this Squadron CO who lost his life, that of another Marine, and a majority of squadron aircraft, are getting so little coverage/concern since the initial press report. Lots of continual handwringing/causal factors & excuse making re: the Libyan Consulate terrorist attack , but it seems like the Camp Bastion tragedy has been totally "ho hum'd" by all but the military (& us AWs). I haven't heard much concern from the CIC/DOD, or am I missing something here?:confused:
BzB

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I haven't heard much concern from the CIC/DOD, or am I missing something here?:confused:
BzB

Probably not the kind of focus on Afghanistan an incumbent would desire a few months before the election. That's what my cynical side says. Less cynically (and, I think, less realistically) is the consideration that there were "only" 2 deaths here, despite the enormous and unusual loss of materiel, and the general public doesn't understand how significant it is for an O-5 aviator to be killed in action (on the ground, no less).

I agree, this should be getting much more coverage.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Since when has the DoD publicly aired concern about setbacks? I guarantee you the guys responsible for getting and giving CAS are giving it plenty of attention, but there's no need for it in the press. ISAF insisted that there would be no impact to air or ground operations at Bastion......shades of Baghdad Bob.

As for the press, the first reports were "Prince Harry is ok after attack on his base." What I've seen in the past - and this was no different - by the time the families are notified and the names are officially released, the press has moved on. There were a few mentions of his rank and the magnitude of the attack, but I don't think anyone in charge is going to want to advertise that they took a squadron out of action.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
On another note, how will such a loss affect the squadron? Due to the loss of not only aircraft but the CO, would they consider sundowning it? Can they get more A/C to replace the ones that are lost?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
On another note, how will such a loss affect the squadron? Due to the loss of not only aircraft but the CO, would they consider sundowning it? Can they get more A/C to replace the ones that are lost?

I won't try to comment about the aircraft losses and replacements- I don't know and it's none of my business.

Regarding the personnel losses, it is exceedingly rare, but this isn't the only time in OEF or OIF that a CO has been taken out of the picture (at least temporarily). What happens next is that good people step up to the challenge...

Here is what was also a significant event (though not as severe) for Marine Phrogs in 2004: link to "Pilot receives DFC." I've also seen something similar happen to a ground unit (Army Cav squadron) and the rest of the people there similarly pulled together and kept up with the mission.

It took me a bit of searching to find a good link for the HMM-161 story, and from here I'll leave the details to others who are better able to comment.