• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sidearms for Naval Aviators

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
That's fine. I don't. It thought the issue gun was hot garbage, but that had something to do with being rode hard and put up wet. I don't think that there is to much to like about the current Sig line. They just seem somewhat outdated compared to the M&P and XD series.

You can't be serious??!?

Are we talking aesthetics here? Sure they're not gee-whiz-bang-tupperware or anything, but come on.

I'm not a big fan of a striker style firing mechanism either... give me a pistol with a hammer.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
The only thing that I've heard about SIGs is that as duty weapons they tend to accumulate rust unless you really stay up on them. That's just hearsay though---I have a few NYPD buddies who carry them. Otherwise good, solid weapons.

Why wouldn't you stay up on your weapon in the first place? Sounds like neglect more than anything...

Brunes

pilot
The only thing that I've heard about SIGs is that as duty weapons they tend to accumulate rust unless you really stay up on them. That's just hearsay though---I have a few NYPD buddies who carry them. Otherwise good, solid weapons.

IDK what you friends in NYC are doing- but while I was toting mine around the Caribbean daily- It didn't get too rusty- I had some help from the gunnersmate's on the boat- but with just a bit o'cleaning every couple days- All of them stayed in top shape.

I agree helmet that rust is a sign it's not being used or cleaned nearly enuf...

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Why wouldn't you stay up on your weapon in the first place? Sounds like neglect more than anything...

Oh I'm sure that neglect is a factor. I'm just used to taking my pistol diving in the gulf and out on the boat without a speck of rust. But I'm not going to make a plug for my type of pistol---if I do Bevo will be in shortly to speak of VHS tapes :D

champ53

Side Arm or Choice

In the SDPD we were issued the sig226r 9mm and there is always the debate with the sheriffs in the county between which is better their Glocks or our Sigs.

So the question is, if you could have any duty weapon of choice(pistols only) what would it be?

Bevo16

pilot
Neither.

Glock is the VHS of the handgun world. Sure, it was innovative back in the day, but the technology is totally outclassed by modern top of the line options. Glock is selling guns today on name recognition only.

I would rather have a M&P than a Sig. The ergonomics of the M&P are superior to both weapons, and if I am going to carry a polymer handgun, I don't want one with an external hammer.

My 2nd choice would the the XDM, but that's just because Springfield Armory tried to copy the M&P feature for feature. That color changing "cocking indicator" is annoying to me though.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Neither.

Glock is the VHS of the handgun world. Sure, it was innovative back in the day, but the technology is totally outclassed by modern top of the line options. Glock is selling guns today on name recognition only.

I would rather have a M&P than a Sig. The ergonomics of the M&P are superior to both weapons, and if I am going to carry a polymer handgun, I don't want one with an external hammer.

My 2nd choice would the the XDM, but that's just because Springfield Armory tried to copy the M&P feature for feature. That color changing "cocking indicator" is annoying to me though.

Traitor! :D You have a 229 on your profile picture!

Ricky Bobby

Neither.

+1 on the M&P, however I really like my Sig too...so hard to choose a favorite.

Bevo16

pilot
Traitor! :D You have a 229 on your profile picture!

It's the whole gun in bible thing that I was going for (I stole the pic off teh interwebz). Goes well with the "clinging even tighter to guns and religion" thing. I would never pay money for a Sig. I only carried the thing when I had to.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
It's the whole gun in bible thing that I was going for (I stole the pic off teh interwebz). Goes well with the "clinging even tighter to guns and religion" thing. I would never pay money for a Sig. I only carried the thing when I had to.

What don't you like? The fact that SIGs go boom every time or their dirty girl good looks? :)

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot

I disagree. Glocks sell well because they are a no-frills pistol. It is designed for reliability, period.

I have three requirements for a carry pistol. It must fire a powerful cartridge. It must carry an adequate number of these cartridges. It must go bang each and every time, regardless of the environment. Oh, and no external safety. (OK, four requirements---I lied). The Glock isn't fancy and it isn't pretty, but it does its job and it does it well.

As a target pistol, I'll admit that it sucks. I shoot almost as well with it as I do my S&W Model 59, but it doesn't feel as good doing it. The ergos aren't that great, the trigger pull is long and not that crisp, and the tolerances aren't the tightest. But as a duty/carry pistol, its design is hard to beat. I've never had a single malfunction short of a single stovepipe (I was shooting one handed and limpwristed it) on the thousands of rounds I've put through multiple Glocks. I've shot Wolf through it, flat nose, hollow points, subsonic (had to manually cycle the slide), even a box of ammo that I found in an abandoned shed that was rotting. It ate it all up and went bang every time. I've dropped it on concrete, dropped it in sand and mud, and I even took it SCUBA diving in the Gulf of Mexico just to see how it would hold up in salt water. I waited a few days, took it shooting, and then cleaned it a few days after that. Not a speck of rust, and it fired great.

My 21SF carries 14 rounds of .45ACP, has a 1913 rail, night sights, an ambidextrous mag release (could care less, honestly), and it goes bang each and every time.

RabidMoose

Neither.

So I guess if this is the case the 1911 must be the U-Matic Video Tape? Just because a weapon is a little dated doesn't mean anything; the glock is simple, reliable, and relativly cheap. It's selling by name for a reason, its been proven time and time again, you can fire the weapon thousands of times without ever cleaning it and it still wont jam, drop it from a helicopter and it wont discharge, put it in sand or water and it will still fire. Ergonomics is entirely personnel preference; one person's hands might fit a particular weapon perfectly while the next person gets blisters. As far as outclassed goes, check into the world of IPSC (International Practical Shooting Confederation) and IDPA (International Defensive Shooting Association) and see what weapons are leading in the production classes. Just my 2 cents.

navy09

None
I don't buy the Glock=VHS argument either. The only thing I know of that XD's have that my Glock doesn't is a cocker indicator (which you can tell by just looking at the trigger anyway). If it ain't broke...

Still, if I were being issued one and money was no object- I'd definitely take the Sig.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
The only thing I know of that XD's have that my Glock doesn't is a cocker indicator (which you can tell by just looking at the trigger anyway).

It does have a "cocker indicator". On the extractor/ejector is the LCI, loaded chamber indicator. It will stick out if there is a round in the chamber. If there is a round in the chamber, the weapon is "cocked".