• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sidearms for Naval Aviators

acwildcat

pilot
Hey everyone,

I just got my pro rec for BDCP and I am itching to buy my first handgun. I figure I might as well buy the gun that I have to qualify with for Naval Aviation but I just wanted to make sure that the two choices are the Sig P228 or the Beretta 92. And if that is indeed the case which do you guys prefer?

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Agreed. Don't waste your money buying one of the issue-type sidearms. You'll get to qualify with a pistol maybe, maybe, once a year. Buy something you'd like to shoot. I personally like Kimber's take on the 1911, but that's just me. The which handgun do you like the best thread has been beaten over, and over, and over again.

If the navy issue sidearms happen to fall into that category then by all means, enjoy. Just don't think it's going to give you some magical leg up when it comes time to earn that little black and green ribbon.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
If the navy issue sidearms happen to fall into that category then by all means, enjoy. Just don't think it's going to give you some magical leg up when it comes time to earn that little black and green ribbon.

The Navy has also been known to change it's mind. I carried/quailed with five different weapons in my 20 years. (1) S&W .38 long barrel in AOCS (2) S&W snubbie .38 (2) My own Browning Hi-Power (3) Beretta 92 (4) Sig P228

Bevo16

pilot
You have to fire the gun provided by the lowest bidder when you qualify. If you are going to get one of your own, get a higher quality weapon.

There is plenty of opinions on that subject on other threads on the firearms page.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have to fire the gun provided by the lowest bidder when you qualify. If you are going to get one of your own, get a higher quality weapon.

I don't want to start the endless debate on favorite handguns. But I don't know how anyone, whether they like to shoot it or not, can denigrate a Sig product as a low bidder quality weapon? It certainly won a contract where price was the major factor, but it is anything but a low quality product. Retail wise, they are among the most expensive hand guns on the market. They are more reliable then just about any similar hand gun. Even spec ops guys who can choose their weapon, often choose Sig. Most weapons acquired by the military and law enforcement win contracts based on price, but most are also very very fine weapons. Heck, the Model 1911 won a competitive bid. Last I checked it was the standard bearer in self defense hand guns almost 100 years later. Low bid, maybe, low quality or low performance, not a chance.

gotta_fly

pilot
I agree with what's been said. I went to the store planning to pick up a 92FS (for the same reasons as you) and left with an HK USP Compact and haven't been disappointed. If you still want to have some crossover with the issue piece, think about features and/or location of the controls. Getting something with a mag release in a similar spot and an ambidextrous safety (or a similar control lever on your side of the gun) might help you down the road.

Or you could get an M-1.

acwildcat

pilot
2) You live in Tucson. Buy a shotgun or AR.

Already did :D

Thanks for everyone's help. I mostly just wanted to verify that those were the guns that were still being issued. And just to double check these guns are chambered in 9mm correct?

Brunes

pilot
I shot a SIG P229 for work (Coast Guard) chambered w/ .40 and really enjoyed it. I almost bought one for personal use. And that gun is no lowest bidder piece.

That being said- Cosign everyone who said buy something that you like to shoot...whatever that might be.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
M9 and M11 are both fine reliable weapons. Test fire them a couple times at a range if you can and if you like one...buy it. It's that simple. I'm more of a P226 guy myself, but to each his own.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
When I graduated high school I got a Beretta 92 pretty much for the same reasons. I got my ribbon and have put a couple thousand rounds through it. Theres alot of beretta haters here, but I like mine.

I don't agree with the comment that military weapons are cheap and the lowest bidder. The biggest endorsement a firearm can have is to be used by the US military and especially anything having to do with SOC. Civilians hand over rediculous amounts of cash to have anything used by the US military. Seems like a "grass is always greener" for the guys actually in the military to be bitching about the quality of their equipment.