• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sidearms for Naval Aviators

MasterBates

No. It's out of the question.

Brett

It's "officially" out of the question. Not unheard of guys going downrange with other things besides the issue gun. Do so at your own risk. Sometimes my M11 seemed to get bigger. And carry 45ACP.

Just saying.

(SWO CO was a gun/1911 nut. Helped greatly)

aukonak

I'm a big fan of the SIGs, especially the 226 and 229, don't think I've shot the 228. Berettas are nice too but they don't fit my grip as well.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
It's "officially" out of the question. Not unheard of guys going downrange with other things besides the issue gun. Do so at your own risk. Sometimes my M11 seemed to get bigger. And carry 45ACP.

Just saying.

(SWO CO was a gun/1911 nut. Helped greatly)

Once we got the M11 I didn't know anyone who carried their own but during Desert Storm, despite AIRLANT sending a message that said "though shall not" CAG said, "carry what you want it's your pink ass" (yes, Fox Fallon literally said just that at an all airwing meeting). I'd say then about 75% carried their own instead of the issue smith. I carried my Hi-Power.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
I'm a big fan of the SIGs, especially the 226 and 229, don't think I've shot the 228. Berettas are nice too but they don't fit my grip as well.

I love SIGs... I have a 226 in .40 and a 239 in 9mm. They are dead reliable, accurate and a dream to shoot.

If I'm not mistaken the M11/228 is a variant of the 229, correct??

utak

It's more like the 229 is a variant of the 228, it's modified with a beefier slide to account for the higher pressures of the .40 and .357 round.

That being said, there's a lot of SIG fans who were dissapointed that the 228 is no longer in production here in the US. They would be rejoiced, that there's some companies who are getting imported brand new P228s (with the new tactical rail!) from Germany, which have US M11 markings. You can find them over at sigforum.com

C01660.jpg

C01658.jpg

C01659.jpg

helmet91

Wow! You must REALLY have a thing goin' w/ SIGs ... those being sentiments I usually reserve for Trophy Wife and such ... :)

:D I drank the SIG Kool Aid...

Speaking of wives: my wife is a hell of a shot with the P239. Her first day at the range made me a happy man.

helmet91

It's more like the 229 is a variant of the 228, it's modified with a beefier slide to account for the higher pressures of the .40 and .357 round.

Good to know. Thanks!

That being said, there's a lot of SIG fans who were dissapointed that the 228 is no longer in production here in the US. They would be rejoiced, that there's some companies who are getting imported brand new P228s (with the new tactical rail!) from Germany, which have US M11 markings. You can find them over at sigforum.com

I find this more exciting than the P6/225 craze of 2008. That's pretty cool!

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
The only thing that I've heard about SIGs is that as duty weapons they tend to accumulate rust unless you really stay up on them. That's just hearsay though---I have a few NYPD buddies who carry them. Otherwise good, solid weapons.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
The only thing that I've heard about SIGs is that as duty weapons they tend to accumulate rust unless you really stay up on them. That's just hearsay though---I have a few NYPD buddies who carry them. Otherwise good, solid weapons.

All mine with the standard bluing require a little more care and feeding to prevent surface rust. Not a huge bother by any means, esp. for a gun your carry/use regularly.

The stainless ones are all good, though.:icon_tong

Bevo16

pilot
I don't want to start the endless debate on favorite handguns. But I don't know how anyone, whether they like to shoot it or not, can denigrate a Sig product as a low bidder quality weapon? It certainly won a contract where price was the major factor, but it is anything but a low quality product.....wink likes Sig

That's fine. I don't. It thought the issue gun was hot garbage, but that had something to do with being rode hard and put up wet. I don't think that there is to much to like about the current Sig line. They just seem somewhat outdated compared to the M&P and XD series.

There sure are a lot of people who carry their own weapons on cruise for it to be "out of the question". It was so "out of the question" that the incredibly difficult process consisted of handing said weapon to our AOCS prior to on-load and then checking it out from the SDO before walking to the aircraft.