• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I stay or should I go? Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love HSC.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@Brett327, there’s plenty of info available for you when you go see the folks at NAWDC. It’s a mission that HSC/HSM train to on every single workup and gets briefed ad nauseam to CAG/CSGC on every deployment.
Cool. IBB's info was sufficient, and I suspect he has more real world experience than most.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
MVs, if armed, typically don’t take pot shots at a boarding party unless they know they’ll win.

MTs are rarely armed, for obvious reasons as well as the less obvious insurer’s fine print.

BT

With the SAG/SOH getting sporty, what’s to stop HSC from loading out AGM-114s and doing a little counter-FAC/FIAC?

Also, and maybe here is not the place to discuss it, but at the unclass level do Sierras have the ability to carry AIM/AMRAAMs?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@Brett327, no problem. Again, surprising and frustrating that a post-command jet guy who’s made numerous CVN deployments wasn’t aware of one of the most discussed helo operations of his CVW helos.
What is wrong with you? I'm certainly aware that it is done. I'm asking a specific question about risk mitigation. Go troll somewhere else.

SteveHolt!!!

pilot
@Brett327, no problem. Again, surprising and frustrating that a post-command jet guy who’s made numerous CVN deployments wasn’t aware of one of the most discussed helo operations of his CVW helos.

As an hsc dude.... chill out. Why would you expect a vaq CO to know anything about mitigating small arms in hvbss? He did exactly what we want when other communities don’t know things, he expressed curiosity and asked for more info.

red_stang65

pilot
@Brett327 , not trying troll or dig at you personally.

Like I said before, the frustration with this topic is lack of knowledge/understanding/support by higher level decision makers. Unfortunately, that lack of understanding starts at the junior levels as evidenced by second tour folks & SFWTIs who go on to be COs, who go on to be senior NAE leaders. And many of those tell HSC what/how to do things without ever really knowing the basics of the community.

If you/they haven’t gotten the understanding at your level, that’s indicative of a major communication/education failure on a number of parts. For some, it’s lack of opportunity or exposure, for others it’s willful ignorance. Again, not pointing fingers at anyone.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you/they haven’t gotten the understanding at your level, that’s indicative of a major communication/education failure on a number of parts. For some, it’s lack of opportunity or exposure, for others it’s willful ignorance. Again, not pointing fingers at anyone.
I find it really strange that you’re this sensitive over a question about mitigating smarms threats during vbss. I wouldn’t expect Brett to know the tactical details of that any more than I’d expect a post-command hsc guy to know the tactical details within a certain subset of a sead mission.

We barely have time to become tactical experts within our own mission sets, let alone learn the gritty details of yours.

Your dig at second tour guys not knowing these details is even more baffling. If you want to blame WTIs of all flavor not learning your community’s tactical playbook better for your lack of community representation when cocoms define what capabilities they want a csg to bring to the theater, you’ve reached too far.

Maybe this isn’t your intent, but you’re coming off as blaming everyone else not knowing your ttps for your perceived lack of a demand signal for those missions. And all your fingers are pointed outward.

red_stang65

pilot
Whew, let’s take a step back here from the vbss microscope for a second. No problem whatsoever with people asking questions about mission areas or capabilities they don’t know. It’s awesome that people show interest across community lines for their own edification.

Now, from a broader perspective, my frustration stems from people on the outside telling HSC to basically sit in the Starboard D, color, and be happy with their lot in life (NAVAIR actual made comments quite similar to this at an NHA flag panel, no less), and those same people saying that while not even knowing a basic range of capabilities the community provides. I’m not even talking about a “failure of imagination.”

Again, basic questions about a particular set in order to gain clarification/edification is great. Shoehorning an entire community into a small corner (without support for that, as well) and not taking any measurable interest in what they’re tasked with doing is not great.

red_stang65

pilot
Also, in that same span of comments, NAVAIR even told helo pilots that they probably shouldn’t even fly with ballistic plating because “they don’t understand the differences in power required vs power available”.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Last year's NHA. It was N98, Satan Conn, not NAVAIR.
That makes more sense.

I missed the Admirals panel this year, but I know the current and previous NAVAIRs were HSL bubbas, so hard to imagine them telling any helo community to shut up and color. Also 3 NAVAIRs ago's son is an HSM dude; so again, unlikely.