• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2014 IDC Board

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
Think it's already been said here but I'll say it again. Active Duty guys really need to read OPNAVINST 1420.1 all the way through. I feel comfortable saying Most of is have. Civilians refer to CNRC program authorizations for each designator for qualifications and ages.

To be fair, if I'm not sure about something, I don't pass it off as fact; I always tell anyone who asks to refer to the instruction. I had a roundabout idea of the age for SWO, but since I'm not applying for it, I really didn't focus too much on it. This goes for other programs mentioned in OPNAVINST 1420.1 as well.

Please don't assume someone hasn't read the instruction.

Last edited:

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Think it's already been said here but I'll say it again. Active Duty guys really need to read OPNAVINST 1420.1 all the way through. I feel comfortable saying Most of is have. Civilians refer to CNRC program authorizations for each designator for qualifications and ages.

I'm pretty sure that the program authorizations apply to us as well. The 1420 has some pretty outdated info.

fedman28

That's what I thiught. I just noticed binoly is 34
He's not 34 his age is wrong on his profile lol I hit him up about it too, I thought I was missing something when it came to applying for straight SWO. He's still under max age for the program...lucky him.

Rickblaine22

I'm pretty sure that the program authorizations apply to us as well. The 1420 has some pretty outdated info.

This is true...PA for IW is dated 2013, where the latest 1420 is 2009. My command made all kinds of calls to people...I even contacted the old program manager (CDR Heritage) for IW and he said go by whatever is dated the most recent. I'm 36 and I applied for IW and Intel, and they accepted my application.

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
There is a chart in 1420.1B on page 4-3. For the designators "SWO (EDO Option)," "Special Warfare," Nuclear Power Instructor" and "EOD" it says 29 with waiver up to 24 months. Next to the "24 months" there is a footnote. Footnote (1) states that waivers are considered on a month-for-month basis for prior active service. In addition to the "24 Months" and the footnote (1), there is also a "/Up to age 35." So, taking all this together, I read this to mean that the age limit was 29, with up to 24 months waiverable for anyone and then additional month-for-month waiver for prior enlisted service, up to age 35. Otherwise, what would be the point of saying that the age limit is 29 with 24 months waiverable (i.e., 31) and then "up to age 35"?

In the same chart, it says that the age limit for SWO is 29 with waiver consideration of 24 months and then it has the same footnote, footnote (1). So I interpreted this to mean that the age limit was 29, waiverable up to 24 months, and then additional waiver on a month-for-month basis for prior active service up to whenever. So I went to my recruiter telling him I wanted to apply for SWO and he said I wasn't qualified based on age. @NavyOffRec then sent me the SWO program authorization from April 2014 and it states that the age limit is 29, waiverable up to 24 months on a month-for-month basis for prior active service. I was very disappointed. But that's what I get for lawyering it.

I don't know if there is a more recent version of 1420.1B out there that I'm not aware of, but I would be careful with some of the information contained in there and look more to the program authorizations which seem to be updated more frequently. I compared several of the recent program authorizations and the age limits were different. I don't mean to downplay the importance of 1420.1B though, it is still a wealth of important information.

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
This is true. Ultimately, it boils down to the PM giving the go ahead or not based on current needs. 1420.1 says Supply Corps is waiverable to 35 but due to current force structure, they aren't accepting any. I felt sabotaged! That was my first pick.

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
There is a chart in 1420.1B on page 4-3. For the designators "SWO (EDO Option)," "Special Warfare," Nuclear Power Instructor" and "EOD" it says 29 with waiver up to 24 months. Next to the "24 months" there is a footnote. Footnote (1) states that waivers are considered on a month-for-month basis for prior active service. In addition to the "24 Months" and the footnote (1), there is also a "/Up to age 35." So, taking all this together, I read this to mean that the age limit was 29, with up to 24 months waiverable for anyone and then additional month-for-month waiver for prior enlisted service, up to age 35. Otherwise, what would be the point of saying that the age limit is 29 with 24 months waiverable (i.e., 31) and then "up to age 35"?

In the same chart, it says that the age limit for SWO is 29 with waiver consideration of 24 months and then it has the same footnote, footnote (1). So I interpreted this to mean that the age limit was 29, waiverable up to 24 months, and then additional waiver on a month-for-month basis for prior active service up to whenever. So I went to my recruiter telling him I wanted to apply for SWO and he said I wasn't qualified based on age. @NavyOffRec then sent me the SWO program authorization from April 2014 and it states that the age limit is 29, waiverable up to 24 months on a month-for-month basis for prior active service. I was very disappointed. But that's what I get for lawyering it.

I don't know if there is a more recent version of 1420.1B out there that I'm not aware of, but I would be careful with some of the information contained in there and look more to the program authorizations which seem to be updated more frequently. I compared several of the recent program authorizations and the age limits were different. I don't mean to downplay the importance of 1420.1B though, it is still a wealth of important information.
Updates to the OPNAV1420.1 series will go alphabetically. Currently using "B," next revision will be "C."

exNavyOffRec

This is true. Ultimately, it boils down to the PM giving the go ahead or not based on current needs. 1420.1 says Supply Corps is waiverable to 35 but due to current force structure, they aren't accepting any. I felt sabotaged! That was my first pick.

It is the PA that takes precedence, so it doesn't matter what the 1420 says, the PA overrides that, so a person can apply based on the 1420 then get pro X'd at NRC, the PM has no discretion on the PA, unless the PA stipulates a waiver option.

I know several AD that have been screwed by the 1420

Spookcumber

I have a buddy who applied for this board and every time I see a new response I'm hoping the results are out. . . I can't imagine how those who applied must feel whenever they see a new response :p . Ha I don't think our board was nearly this active!

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
I have a buddy who applied for this board and every time I see a new response I'm hoping the results are out. . . I can't imagine how those who applied must feel whenever they see a new response :p . Ha I don't think our board was nearly this active!
Just a bunch of guys talking to keep from going stir-crazy; helps pass the time.