• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Sen Tuberville and Appointment Delays

Status
Not open for further replies.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Wouldn't it be completely awesome if our elected leaders, both state and federal, had the courage to discuss the root causes of unnecessary abortion rates, and, at the same time, craft policy that protects women and unborn children while giving them a path to make decisions that is best for them and their families?

number9

Contributor
Wouldn't it be completely awesome if our elected leaders, both state and federal, had the courage to discuss the root causes of unnecessary abortion rates, and, at the same time, craft policy that protects women and unborn children while giving them a path to make decisions that is best for them and their families?
Best I can do is *checks notes* culture war on both sides

Random8145

That would be pro-choice legislation (aka pro-abortion to the pro-life side) and as such would be seen as a non-starter by one side.

Mirage

pilot
I wonder what folks would think of Sen Tuberville's actions if the military used taxpayer's dollars to give leave and pay for sevicemembers to travel to other states where it was legal to murder your toddlers, and those sevicemembers didn't want the downside of being parents? After all, the other side of the argument believes that is morally equivalent to the existing policy. And, at the end of the day, the reason murder is wrong is because one is stopping another life from continuing that they have no right to stop. It has nothing to do with how developed the murdered person's organs were, how much pain was involved in the murder, or anything else. The whole purpose of abortion is to do exactly that... stop a person's life from continuing that would otherwise continue if no action were taken... except in a small minority of cases where the mother's life is in serious danger or when the baby will have certain conditions, which exemptions are reasonable for since that is not murder.

number9

Contributor
I wonder what folks would think of Sen Tuberville's actions if the military used taxpayer's dollars to give leave and pay for sevicemembers to travel to other states where it was legal to murder your toddlers, and those sevicemembers didn't want the downside of being parents? After all, the other side of the argument believes that is morally equivalent to the existing policy. And, at the end of the day, the reason murder is wrong is because one is stopping another life from continuing that they have no right to stop. It has nothing to do with how developed the murdered person's organs were, how much pain was involved in the murder, or anything else. The whole purpose of abortion is to do exactly that... stop a person's life from continuing that would otherwise continue if no action were taken... except in a small minority of cases where the mother's life is in serious danger or when the baby will have certain conditions, which exemptions are reasonable for since that is not murder.
Your point is not relevant because service members are trying to travel to states where abortion is legal. Whether or not you personally believe abortion is moral is orthogonal to the issue at hand.

Service members should not have to pay out-of-pocket to travel to another state for medical care if they are currently stationed in a state where that medical care is not legally available.

Mirage

pilot
Your point is not relevant because service members are trying to travel to states where abortion is legal. Whether or not you personally believe abortion is moral is orthogonal to the issue at hand.

Service members should not have to pay out-of-pocket to travel to another state for medical care if they are currently stationed in a state where that medical care is not legally available.
Medically necessary abortions are legal everywhere, therefore no servicemember would be required to travel elsewhere for medical care. For an elective procedure that a large percentage of tax payers think should be illegal, sure. That is relevant, and you saying it isn't doesn't make it so.

number9

Contributor
Medically necessary abortions are legal everywhere, therefore no servicemember would be required to travel elsewhere for medical care. For an elective procedure that a large percentage of tax payers think should be illegal, sure. That is relevant, and you saying it isn't doesn't make it so.
I vehemently disagree. Are there any other legal elective procedures for which you think servicemembers must travel on their own dime?

I think people who park their car in a bike lane should be imprisoned for life, but fortunately (or in this case, unfortunately?) my personal opinion does not maketh the law.

Mirage

pilot
I vehemently disagree. Are there any other legal elective procedures for which you think servicemembers must travel on their own dime?

I think people who park their car in a bike lane should be imprisoned for life, but fortunately (or in this case, unfortunately?) my personal opinion does not maketh the law.
Yes, I think if servicemember want any elective procedures that are not offered/illegal in their current location should be up to them to coordinate and pay for. Breast augmentation, for example. Or getting your hair died another color. Or getting hair removed/implanted. Tax payers should not bear that burden.

The law does not say that the DoD must pay for travel for elective surgeries. That is a policy unelected leaders of the organization created.

number9

Contributor
The law does not say that the DoD must pay for travel for elective surgeries. That is a policy unelected leaders of the organization created.

Are any of the other surgeries you listed illegal in states where servicemembers are stationed?

For what it's worth, I find the "unelected leaders" thing to be red herring. Should SECDEF be elected? Of course not.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Folks, since it’s unlikely anyone here is going to be persuaded from their position on abortion, let’s make an effort to steer clear of debating directly about abortion or whether the current policy seems/doesn’t seem aligned with your personal morality.

Mirage

pilot
Are any of the other surgeries you listed illegal in states where servicemembers are stationed?

For what it's worth, I find the "unelected leaders" thing to be red herring. Should SECDEF be elected? Of course not.
Why does abortion being illegal in some states mean the DoD has more of a responsibility to help members skirt the law for their elective (non medically necessary) procedures? Shouldn't it be just the opposite, since the DoD should strive to respect state laws?

If breast augmentation is legal but not available in some small town recruiting district or on an aircraft carrier in the ocean, should tax payers have to pay to get them to a plastic surgeon?

number9

Contributor
Why does abortion being illegal in some states mean the DoD has more of a responsibility to help members skirt the law for their elective (non medically necessary) procedures? Shouldn't it be just the opposite, since the DoD should strive to respect state laws?
No one is trying to break state law. Breaking state law would be "finding the servicemember an abortion provider operating clandestinely in a state where abortion is illegal." That is not what we are talking about.

Why are we punishing servicemembers who wish to obtain reproductive healthcare but can't because of where they live? "We stationed you in Alabama but abortion isn't legal there, so you're on your own" is a bunch of nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.