• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Self Defense stories

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Store Owner Uses Shotgun For Self Defense

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2...r-fires-on-4-robbers-killing-2-police-say/?hp

Good example of a shotgun possibly saving a guy's life. . .

. . .and likely putting him in a world of legal hurt for not having it properly registered. The old adage of "Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6" springs to mind.

Some of the comments after the article are wonderfully quotable, if only for their ignorance.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
New York City? He's screwed. He'll get banged for the unlicensed and the family of the perp will sue---and there's a decent chance they'll win. That city is ass backwards when it comes to gun laws.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...
"When your life can be over in just seconds, the police are only minutes away..."

jtmedli

pilot
New York City? He's screwed. He'll get banged for the unlicensed and the family of the perp will sue---and there's a decent chance they'll win. That city is ass backwards when it comes to gun laws.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...
"When your life can be over in just seconds, the police are only minutes away..."

Wow that's ridiculous...this guy should get the key to the city or something for putting down a few criminals.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
old thread but brought up some good stuff. I was looking for a DWI suspect that took off from his wrecked car on foot a couple of nights ago. I find the guy and he's cool as beans but drunk ( later he blew and he was nearly triple the limit) and cooperative. I try to place the handcuffs on him and its on... now i'm a big guy and gotten into my share of scrapes but i've NEVER been put on the ground. Even with my weight you can never anticipate the adrenaline that some wierdo 150 pound white guy can have. He flipped me over and had me pinned. Luckily my hands were loose and i got a damn good grip on his throat and didnt let go no matter how hard he tried to punch me. By the time my backup arrived he was passed out with how hard I was pinching that airway. I only had redness on my forehead cuz he was so drunk that he never got any solid blows.

Point is..i've been in fights and my weight and strength have won them for me. I've even sat on folks till backup arrived. This experience forces me to get back in the gym.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
What causes that?
Getting old is part of it. Many folks feel increased arthritic pain when the weather changes. Some people claim that the increase in pain is more prevalent when a low pressure moves in or is about to move in. However, I can only recall one study (1961; only 12 subjects) which provides evidence in support of that claim. I don't know of any studies performed recently.

My best guess is that the pain is due to barometric changes which alter the pressure gradient inside and around the sac (bursa) which surrounds all joints. Dunno why it seems to deal harsher with arthritic joints.

Theory says that folks feel worse with impending bad weather (low pressure) because that pressure change causes tissue to swell (along with accompanying stiffness of the swollen tissue), making the arthritic pain feel more severe.

CAMike

None
Contributor
ahh but back then it was worth it if I got "lucky" umm laid?<gg>
Semper Fi
Rocky

"Mercy Sex" should never be under-rated. I look back at those events as if a "greater power" was communicating a BZ.

Oh yeah- the main topic. And as one gets a little slower with age and the bad guys/group of bad guys these days seem to prefer metallic weapons, the Concealed Weapons Permit is another avenue in self-defense.

CTag

I have been an active martial artist my entire life. When I was younger I did Taekwondo and Karate. In high school I wrestled. After college and up to the present day, I have been doing brazilian jiu-jitsu (gi and no gi).

Hoping to get stationed in California (the American Mecca of BJJ) to work towards obtaining my black belt.

Carlos Caliente

None
"if you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!"

I did Krav Maga back when I was in San Dog, because it is evil, dirty and it works. Haven't found a KM program that rivals that of KMSD since so I left it at that. 6 years on, I still don't know what I'm doing so that makes me somewhat dangerous.

Oilcover

Costumed aggressor
pilot
I did tae kwon do starting way back in elementary school until I graduated high school. Some folks from the DC area may remember the famous Jhoon Rhee commercials from the '80's. My first instructor was the "nobody bothers me either!" kid. It was excellent for physical fitness and discipline, but they definitely emphasized the arts over the martial.

OSUbeaver

Time to musk up
pilot
My new security sign

I just put this out in front of the house, hopefully it works:

Attachments

• security sign.JPG
    security sign.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 342

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None