• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

banana380

pilot
If you don't want to move DLs around, most state DMVs will give you a state ID for $5-10. Also can come in handy during hurevac situations when the cops have blocked off the neighborhood you are returning to and you need proof that you live there.

So would said ID be good for handgun purchases? I bought the 1911 back in TN over the weekend, but I may find myself inclined to purchase another handgun at some point down here. The next gun is never the last ;)

pensfan341

hello gentlemen,

looking to purchase my first gun ever and am hoping to find some advice or thoughts.

I do not know much about guns, I have been shooting probably 5 times with my grandpa but that is about the extent of it.

From what I understand in the Navy (if i use a firearm at all) it will be a 9mm Beretta. So I figured that might as well be my first hand gun purchase.

Any thoughts on this logic? this gun selection? other recommendations?

Thanks

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
hello gentlemen,

looking to purchase my first gun ever and am hoping to find some advice or thoughts.

I do not know much about guns, I have been shooting probably 5 times with my grandpa but that is about the extent of it.

From what I understand in the Navy (if i use a firearm at all) it will be a 9mm Beretta. So I figured that might as well be my first hand gun purchase.

Thanks

First up, I am no gun expert. Disclaimer complete.

Not everyone in the Navy uses the M9, so don't get locked into that. I've only shot it once and wasn't a huge fan, but I'd love to gather more data.

When my girlfriend was interested in buying a gun, I took her to a big gun store and gave her a few options (mentioned in this thread) to try in her hand. She wanted a Glock (mostly because "it's a Glock"), but after trying a bunch of guns in her hand, she found one that fit and was comfortable. That's where I'd start. If it's your first handgun, start with 9mm and see what works. Maybe rent some different models/makes if you have the opportunity.

My $.02, which is probably way more than it's worth.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Personally--and this is just me--I always found the M9 to be especially useless. Therefore I find your logic faulty. I award you no points, and my God have mercy on your soul. Then again, that's just my opinion.

I would highly encourage you to go to your local gun store and just look around for a bit, handling different firearms and getting a feel for them. Ask questions. If the staff gets pissy and/or tries to peg your BS meter, I would go elsewhere. Better yet, find someone local who you trust and knows a bit about guns, and take them with you. Have them explain as much as possible about what firearm you're handling, along with pros/cons. Still better, take said firearm savvy individual to the range and offer to pay for range fees if they'll let you shoot their guns.

Get a feel for how the firearms fit you, balance, how they shoot, etc. Can you reach the controls safely and efficiently? Do you feel comfortable with the particular safety mechanism(s) on the firearm? Are the sights, size, caliber, material, capacity, etc what you want for your chosen application*?

You implicitly stated that you were looking for a pistol, so that's what I'm kind of running with. But the same applies to long guns.

*--The task drives the nature of the tool. For example, I would not buy a .500 magnum revolver with a 7 in barrel for concealment purposes.

There used to be a place a mile or two past the tunnel on the airport side of 279N, right off the highway. I haven't been there in years--and even then only twice while home on leave--but it was/is an indoor range that rents pistols and had a decent selection.

banana380

pilot
hello gentlemen,

Thanks

Another -1 for the M9 from me... I managed to qual Expert w/ it but it would definitely not be my choice if I had one (unless we're talking Hi-Point or something nastier).

If you're in the Pensacola Area, I'd be willing to take you shooting sometime; I have a few guns and love excuses to go shooting. I'd also recommend Jay's II, they've been great the handful of times I've been in there (no gun purchases from them yet though). They're at the corner of Pace and 98. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The M9 is junk. Especially the ones you will qual with.

Anecdotal: If you don't have your finger on the slide release, the slide should not fall off a gun. Mine did. I asked for another gun to qual with, and got a scowl and a "fine, sir" (translated to "you're being a fucking pain in my ass, sir") as though it was my fault that the weapons they maintained were pieces of shit. I'm also not a fan of the double action/single action, but that's just me.

Lawman

None
I had an M9 turn into a pump action pistol on me. Trigger Spring broke before it reset out. When I did the typical "Tap, Rack, bang" with it I was ecstatic that I have trained to always keep the barrel on target with a handgun while doing this (watch people you'll notice a lot turn into AA guns when they rack it). Released the slide and *BANG* followed with a "Holy F*cking Shit!" Hand went up for a RSO and I dropped the mag and cleared the pistol immediately. Thats another reason to always train to never ride the slide forward as well. If it had gone off that way with me riding it probably would have taken a chunk out of me.

phrogpilot73

I had an M9 slide crack on me during a pistol qual. Half chambered a round, couldn't remove the magazine and couldn't lock the slide to the rear. All I could do was put it on safe and wait for an armorer...

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
There was a thread in the last day or so over at m4carbine.net about a catastrophic failure of an M9 at Ft. Benning earlier in the week, complete with pics. The front left quarter of the slide departed the pistol, supposedly as it's designed to do, and the shooter was lucky to escape without harm.

The thing's just an accident waiting to happen, and I really can't shoot it for shit. There are other, better options out there for personal use, and issued sidearms, but I doubt that the Marine Corps will be seeing them any time soon. Please note that I did NOT say, "Yut, yut. Devil dog, MEU(SOC) 1911." Even though I am a fan of my 1911s (compete with and carry one frequently), there are other choices to be had.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd also recommend Jay's II, they've been great the handful of times I've been in there (no gun purchases from them yet though). They're at the corner of Pace and 98. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Meh. I've purchased from them a couple times (PSL and SMLE); I'm not dissatisfied, but they tend to be expensive.

banana380

pilot
Meh. I've purchased from them a couple times (PSL and SMLE); I'm not dissatisfied, but they tend to be expensive.

I've not actually bought a firearm from them, just a brick of 5.56 and a couple of boxes of .45... I think I'm content with gun purchases for a bit unless I come across a helluva deal, or a Kel-Tec Sub2K 9mm Glock mag...

red_ryder

None
So lately, guys, I've been thinking about getting my CCW. I'm kind of torn right now between an HK USP Compact, and some kind of 1911, both in .45.

Now, I have no experience actually carrying a firearm around under my shirt, so are these going to be too big? What do you guys use for concealed carry?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So lately, guys, I've been thinking about getting my CCW. I'm kind of torn right now between an HK USP Compact, and some kind of 1911, both in .45.

Now, I have no experience actually carrying a firearm around under my shirt, so are these going to be too big? What do you guys use for concealed carry?
The USP Compact is not a bad size, but is a bit thick. I have a law enforcement issued USP Compact in .40. I have never had a problem with it (thousands of rounds, lots of tactical gun handling). I think it is well made and fits my hand well. The mag release is different, but if you don't have a lot of experience with anything else, it won't matter much to you. I will say, the agency that issued the weapon has had many go down for broken firing pins. HK found the problem and production run that was affected. Anything you buy new will not have that problem. Buying used, research it a bit to make sure what serials to stay away from, just in case. Nice thing about the USP compact in .40 and .357 Sig is you can drop in a barrel of a different caliber, change the mag and bam, new, possibly cheaper gun to shoot. Don't know if that works so well in .45. The 1911 is a little bigger in outside dimensions, but thinner. Unless you plan on lots and lots of practice, I don't recommend carrying a single action auto for personal defense. Parting words, still love my Sig P228 over any gun I have ever shot.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

model642.jpg

I suggest a 5-shot S&W Bodyguard or something similar until you've 'done it' for a while ...

Why?? 'Cause it ALWAYS works ... it carries a decent cartridge ... it's small ... it's eminently concealable ... it's user-friendly ...

It's a GREAT CCW. It may not be as 'sexy' or as 'macho' as the other choices ... but try it for a while, get really 'good' with it (both marksmanship & manual-of-arms) ... and then, if you find you have the 'need for 'speed' ... get something bigger, more powerful, more 'complex', more 'sexy', and more 'macho' ...

Just my $20 worth.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
A4s, have you been sneaking into my safe--sorry, residential security container?

I have one and carry it frequently, even if I have moved away from it being my go-to gun. In the summer, though, it's one of two that jockey for a place in my pocket. And if it goes along, I usually toss two Speedstrips into the opposite pocket, vice a traditional speedloader, as I find them more concealable. They take a bit of practice to be proficient with, though.