• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Is anyone up to speed on FALs? I have the opportunity, thanks to one of my former Marines who now works at a Gander Mountain, to pick one (or two) up for well below MSRP. Specifically, I'm looking at a couple DSA models. And what about a FAL v. an HK G3 clone?

Educate me.

I have shot a real pre ban G3 and a clone, not much of a difference. I'd just do some homework on the clone, is it forged, what version etc. The FNs are hot right now so if you can get a deal, I sure as heck would, it's probably a little lighter and you can actually put optics on them, where as the G3 being alot of stamped steel is heavier. The G3 eh there are some bulky adapters for optics out there. Have to say though the way the action works on the G3, kind of makes you feel like rambo when you let it go forward.

Lawman

None
Is anyone up to speed on FALs? I have the opportunity, thanks to one of my former Marines who now works at a Gander Mountain, to pick one (or two) up for well below MSRP. Specifically, I'm looking at a couple DSA models. And what about a FAL v. an HK G3 clone?

Educate me.

First, the FAL. I love the FAL. DSA makes a fine weapon only thing you can gig them on is they dont do chrome lining as a standard due to the fact these arent military production weapons and arent expected to get to the higher operating temps of a weapon in a real no kidding gun fight on the streets of *insert shithole city here*. It is called the right Arm of the free world for a reason. 88 Countries saw fit to use this weapon as their primary battle rifle. It is nearly as prolific and durable as the AK-47 when you start looking at some of the places its used. Watch any CNN report on some African crap hole of a country and Ill bet you money you see somebody carrying an FAL probably with a piece of an extension cord or rope wrapped around it as a sling hanging from some 70 lbs 15 year old. It is heavy, and it does have a lot of recoil to the generation of men raised shooting 5.56mm, but its nothing that will kill you. Id recommend you do some soul searching and look into what type of FAL you really want. Some guys like an old school stripped model similar to what you'd expect the average Belgian Trooper carrying. Some people love the Short Barrel with a skeleton stock on it like the Congo setups. Me Im a big fan of the Uber Designated Marksman type setup with a long free float barrel, adjustable cheek position stock, a shit ton of money in glass, etc. Building your FAL is a lot like a higher end more "exclusive" group similar to what people do with ARs.

The G3/HK93 is in the same group of big heavy battle rifles as the FAL but isnt nearly as common. Main reason is until the last 5 years you only had two options either a no kidding H&K which will cost you a small fortune because even though the ban is over the price never came down, or you could have bought a century arms clone which was absolute garbage and functioned as such. Recently though you had the PTR-91 clones hit the market and they are fine rifles. The company that manufactures them actually bought H&K tooling from Portugal so they are building no kidding real HK91s just without the H&K stamped on them. Good rifle, but it lacks some of the refinability of the FAL as far as customization and modification. Its also a bit more of a bear to shoot due to that delayed blowback system. It works, and Ill give it to H&K for coming up with something thats definitely reliable but its a more harsh felt recoil. Also the Ergonomics on the G3 family arent quite as friendly as the FAL. Stll a good rifle, and the PTRs can be has as low as a Grand new if you really do your digging and cheaper used.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
First, the FAL.
Man awesome write up. I think you are spot on with the FAL being an upper end rifle and I guess that is why in my mind the two are so far apart, but when it comes down to it they are shooting the same cartridge and are assault rifles. So to echo what you said, I did notice when I shot the clone G3 it felt like it rose a foot off of the bench.

I think lawman makes the case here, you either want a custom gun that you can kit out and reliably shoot a bigger cartridge or you want a G3 for the sake of loving the older rifle. The pre ban real deal HKs do go for a ton, like 3k-5k on good ones, so the clone probably is the way to go if you had to have a G3. Honestly, the only reason the genuine HK seems like it shoots better to me with less recoil is because it is heavier than my M1 garand, i mean it has to be WELL over 9 pounds! So for utility and like Lawman said the customization, the barrel options are awesome, FN gives you alot more gun for the price.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Also keep in mind that if you are at all interested in reloading the HK might not be for you... The roller locker action kinks the casing in a way that makes it unsuitable for reloading. If you're not a reloader its not a big deal, just something to keep in mind.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Thanks for the input guys. The FAL sounds like the way to go for me, vice the G3. Now I just have to choose my level of involvement with Project Mayhem...

pal215

None
Since I've gotten back to the states I have been thinking about buying a handgun mostly to keep in the house and turning paper targets into swiss cheese. I prefer a 45 and the Taurus 1911 has been the best one. Does anyone have expirence with this gun? Thanks for the help.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I have one, and I think there might be a picture of it in the latest purchase thread. I was excited about it when it came out, as the price v. feature breakdown looks pretty impressive. It was one of the two guns I bought when I got back from my 08 deployment, and I was pretty stoked after one range session with it. Then, on my second range trip (about 150 rounds down the pipe) the grips fell off. I have since moved on to different 1911 manufacturers.

As a random side note, I got to visit Bud's Guns here in Lexington, KY yesterday. Holy. Mother. Of. God. Chest high piles of rifles, shotguns and bulk ammo...hundreds of long guns on racks...probably 1000+ pistols for sale...and one of the most awesome indoor ranges I've seen in a very, very long time. I literally shot until my hands bled, grinning like a fucking idiot rolling in shit the entire time. Had to think very long on snatching up a Polish PPS-43 for dirt cheap (lower prices than on the Bud's site), but that damned sense of financial responsibility made me pass. Stupid moral obligations...

MasterBates

So you were anticipating the angry Puerto Rican woman when you got home with ANOTHER gun? Or was she there giving you "The Look" as you looked at the guns? :icon_smil

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Since I've gotten back to the states I have been thinking about buying a handgun mostly to keep in the house and turning paper targets into swiss cheese. I prefer a 45 and the Taurus 1911 has been the best one. Does anyone have expirence with this gun? Thanks for the help.

I have one as well. It shoots great and regarding the hand grips, I don't know what the details of gaijin's issues were but mine came with two sets and it looks like the shop tried to switch the nicer ones on just using the hammer locking tool included in the box. Needless to say they were kind of loose so a little loctite and good to hook. Now his may have just broken and fallen off...if that is the case boooooooooo. It has been top notch and after shooting kimbers, colts, springfields, and a custom built by dad, it is a good pistol (especially for the money). It doesn't hold any really exceptional qualities but it is smooth and has that real unique feel that all 1911s seem to posses. I love the slenderness of the frame the same like all the others!

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Well, I'm what I would call the advance party for our move to Can-tuck-ee, so seeing as how I'm basically OFP out here, I could have easily gotten away with it from that perspective. All those "gun thingies" look the same to her anyway. But seeing as how we're going to doubling down on the mortgage payments with the addition of a house here, I figured that fiscal discretion would be the better part of valor...for now. Holy hell, I should run for office with that attitude...

Anyway, maybe I'll unload the Taurus 1911 and pick one up and some 7.62 Tok' ammo.

And I mistyped earlier: They're PPS-43C's, not -43's. If they were the latter, they'd be going for a whole hell of a lot more...

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot

Here is a good video with info on the PT1911. Actually it has a lot of good info general to all 1911's and has a link to a detailed review on the Taurus.

I personally have a Rock Island 1911 and while it doesn't have all the frills of other brands, its very accurate and extremely reliable. Plus its very affordable. In terms of value, I would say it's hard to find a better deal anywhere.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
... But seeing as how we're going to doubling down on the mortgage payments with the addition of a house here, I figured that fiscal discretion would be the better part of valor...for now.
You're paying on both? Sucker! There is a government program for that. No one pays two mortgages these days.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Just some quick newbie advice. I'm thinking of buying a pistol for home defense. I want good stopping power primarily. It's not going to be for sport, although I'll be taking it to the range occasionally.

I'm torn between Glock 23 or a version of the 1911. I also hear that having a revolver would probably be better for home defense due to ease of reloading. I've read somewhere that keeping rounds in a semi-auto's mag will eventually reset the spring, making it possible for the tension to weaken. Dunno if that's true.

Any recommendations? Do I have my facts straight?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
If you're planning on using it for home defense, you'd better go to the range more than occasionally. I keep a glock 22 in my bedside table. It's never failed to go boom in over 2000 rounds, whether I clean it or not (I do, just did my own little version of a hell test and put ~1000 rds through it in 3 days with no cleaning and it still chewed it up and spit it out). I had the trigger reset from the godawful NY trigger that the last guy had on it and put on some night sights. Fun.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Just some quick newbie advice. I'm thinking of buying a pistol for home defense. I want good stopping power primarily. It's not going to be for sport, although I'll be taking it to the range occasionally.
I'm torn between Glock 23 or a version of the 1911. I also hear that having a revolver would probably be better for home defense due to ease of reloading. I've read somewhere that keeping rounds in a semi-auto's mag will eventually reset the spring, making it possible for the tension to weaken. Dunno if that's true.
Any recommendations? Do I have my facts straight?

Simplicity is the reason to buy a revolver not easy loading. Slamming a full mag in an auto is much much quicker that futzing around with individual rounds or even a speed loader in the dark. How much do you intend to shoot? If your answer is not too much then a revolver may be the way to go. It's really important that you buy a pistol that fits your grip and that you practice with it a lot. That's much more important than the round it shoots.

Mag springs are worn out by full cycles (compression and de-compression) not by being compressed. I'll catch some heat over this but leaving your mags loaded over time doesn't reset, wear out or otherwise damage mag springs. It's just another pervasive myth. Just like the one that says your AR has to be kept squeeky clean to be reliable. It's just not true. If you don't clean your AR after each trip to the range it's ok. Just run the old girl wet and you won't have a problem.

If you are going to keep mags (pistol or rifle) loaded for extended periods just down load by a round or two so you won't put to much pressure on the feed lips. Otherwise they will be fine.