• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
My wife sees right through that line. I know, because I've tried. I think her BS detector has been strengthened by people trying to buy family sized buckets of sudafed at her pharmacy. If they seem suspicious, she doesn't sell, and calls the cops.

Usually, I just buy guns that look similar to other guns, so that she can't tell the difference. But it's not like she gets to complain much, because I've seen that woman go through a clothing store, and it ain't pretty. Imagine a starved wolf, rushing a preschool, then paying for it with credit cards.

However, I think that I may have broken new ground and finally made progress towards her supporting my habit, though. After a particularly ghastly Discovery Channel show and a subsequent look at www.projectchildsave.org, she now wants her concealed carry permit. Even my assertion that she would have to go shoot some USPSA with me to build her skills didn't deter her.

I can taste victory on the air, like blood in the water! Must. Play. It. Cool...

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
Anyone going to the gun show in Pcola this weekend? I plan on attending and making my first purchase ever, whether it be a shotgun or handgun, but I'm not leaving empty handed! :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If the Pensacola Gun Show is anything like the Jax Gun Show (this last weekend), I'd hold onto your money. Much better deals to be had on the internet. The people watching is pretty interesting, though.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I'm looking for a Remington Rand 1911. I had the opportunity to buy one in college for 450 off a guy going through a divorce and passed. A quick look on gunbroker makes me want to repeatedly smash my head against a wall. My buddy picked it up and still has it, says it shoots real nice. Asshole.

Anyone have any advice on where to pick up a piece of history for less than my firstborn?

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before... a cursory search showed nothing.

FFLs cannot transfer a handgun to you unless you do so in a state you're a resident with ID, according to my research. That makes it nearly impossible for members of the military to get handguns without constantly jumping through hoops to get new residency and IDs every time we move.

Is there a legal way around this? Does bringing orders to the state you're in along with a military ID count as residency for FFL purposes?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before... a cursory search showed nothing.

FFLs cannot transfer a handgun to you unless you do so in a state you're a resident with ID, according to my research. That makes it nearly impossible for members of the military to get handguns without constantly jumping through hoops to get new residency and IDs every time we move.

Is there a legal way around this? Does bringing orders to the state you're in along with a military ID count as residency for FFL purposes?
I'm not sure I'm reading you correctly, but let's see:

Unless YOU have an FFL (probably not) or a C&R (Curio & Relic ... for basically anything older than 50 year old production) assigned to the address you maintain IN YOUR CURRENT PLACE/STATE of residency ... you're S.O.L. Neither other FFL's or C&R's can ship directly to you. It's got nothing to do w/ the military or your 'temporary' status in a given state -- the FED rules are the same for civilians.

BUT: you can still buy a handgun online/out of state (I guess that's what you're talking about ?) and have it shipped to a 'local' FFL holder for delivery to you w/ a likely up-charge to you of @ $25-$35 for 'processing' ... think your local gun store, hardware store, what have you -- basically anywhere they sell firearms
. There are still some 'kitchen table dealers' out there who can do the transfer (a Google search will bring up most of them in your area), but their numbers have shrunk by @ 80% since the BATFE thuggery and excesses of the '90s.

Of course, you would have to make prior arrangements w/ your local FFL for delivery and mail a signed copy of his/her FFL to the seller w/ your payment.

Whenever I buy 'new' stuff, I have a standing, signed copy of my local FFL dealer's license (I'm an 'old' customer) that I email as an attachment to the seller -- payment is accomplished simultaneously in one of several different ways. The seller then ships to the FFL ... I go into the establishment and do the FED/State paperwork drill, pay local-guy his 'fee' ... and head out the door w/ my new purchase. Same-O for military stationed in the local area, even if they're originally from under a rock in Timbuktu.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I'm not sure I'm reading you correctly, but let's see:

Unless YOU have an FFL (probably not) or a C&R (Curio & Relic ... for basically anything older than 50 year old production) assigned to the address you maintain IN YOUR CURRENT PLACE/STATE of residency ... you're S.O.L. Neither other FFL's or C&R's can ship directly to you. It's got nothing to do w/ the military or your 'temporary' status in a given state -- the FED rules are the same for civilians.

BUT: you can still buy a handgun online/out of state (I guess that's what you're talking about ?) and have it shipped to a 'local' FFL holder for delivery to you w/ a likely up-charge to you of @ $25-$35 for 'processing' ... think your local gun store, hardware store, what have you -- basically anywhere they sell firearms
. There are still some 'kitchen table dealers' out there who can do the transfer (a Google search will bring up most of them in your area), but their numbers have shrunk by @ 80% since the BATFE thuggery and excesses of the '90s.

Of course, you would have to make prior arrangements w/ your local FFL for delivery and mail a signed copy of his/her FFL to the seller w/ your payment.

Whenever I buy 'new' stuff, I have a standing, signed copy of my local FFL dealer's license (I'm an 'old' customer) that I email as an attachment to the seller -- payment is accomplished simultaneously in one of several different ways. The seller then ships to the FFL ... I go into the establishment and do the FED/State paperwork drill, pay local-guy his 'fee' ... and head out the door w/ my new purchase. Same-O for military stationed in the local area, even if they're originally from under a rock in Timbuktu.

Sorry A4s, I realize my question was poorly worded. What I meant was, I wanted to purchase a handgun online and have it shipped to a nearby FFL so I could pick it up. But my understanding of federal law is that I need a Florida ID to buy a handgun here. If I buy it online, I still need Florida ID to do the FFL transfer at whatever local shop they ship the gun to.

I've done this before with an AR-15 lower receiver, but that was a bit different because I had ID for the state I was buying it in and it was a long gun part anyway.

I have an Arizona driver's license. I can't have the handgun shipped to an FFL there because I'm currently in Pensacola.

They discuss the legality of buying handguns and long guns out of state in this thread I found online.
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-484986.html

For those interested, I'm looking at getting an S&W M&P9 and using this rebate.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_757803_-1_757797_757797_image

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... But my understanding of federal law is that I need a Florida ID to buy a handgun here. If I buy it online, I still need Florida ID to do the FFL transfer at whatever local shop they ship the gun to ...
That sounds more like a state law vice a FED law ... or if it's FED -- why FL and not WA, for example ??? I think it's state.

But if you can buy a handgun across the counter in FL, you should be able to buy one out of state (from its origin) and take delivery of it at a local FFL dealer's place of business. That's allowed by any FED law I'm aware of ...

Unless there's something quirky about FL state law ... ???

Easiest way to find out is to call a gun store/hardware store (some place that sells guns all the time) in your locale and ask 'em ... they will have all the local (state) gouge.

From one of your links:

May a licensed dealer sell a firearm to a non-licensee who is a resident of another State?

Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensed dealer to a non-licensee who resides in a State other than the State in which the seller’s licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensed dealer whose business is in the purchaser’s State of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the dealer in his or her State of residence.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I believe that, as active duty military stationed there, you have the ability to purchase a handgun in FL, unless things have changed drastically in the last few years. While stationed at Pensacola/Whiting, I purchased four handguns and a shotgun, all from local stores or gun shows. It's been a while, so someone please correct me if I talk out of my ass, but I think that you will require a copy of your orders, military ID, and some form of documentation, such as a utility bill, to show that you reside there. I think there is also a waiting period for handguns, unless you have a FL-issued CCW permit.

Even though I had (still have) my FL CCW, it was about 50/50 as to whether or not they made me wait.

Your best bet is to stop by one of the local gun stores and just ask. They *should* know WTF they're talking about, and it can't hurt to build a bit of rapport with a local purveyor of boomsticks.

joe dirt

pilot
Florida restricts firearms purchase to "contiguous" states, but having an AZ drivers license will enable you to purchase a gun anywhere in the U.S. PM me if you have any questions or a FL gun shop gives you any problems

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Called the FFL and worked out the details with them. It should be no problem. Thanks to all for the help. I'm always amazed at how quickly AW gets some good gouge posted.

banana380

pilot
I've been searching for an answer to this same question; after consulting the local fun-store, the verdict reached was that I need to get a FL DL, because my orders are not PCS (unmarried SNA, just starting IFS). They said I could buy a long gun no problem w/ my TN DL, but not a handgun.

It's all good though, I'm wanting a motorcycle as well, and I would need to go to the DMV for licensing regardless... I just want to get it done this year, I'm buying a 1911, it's 2011... 100 yr anniversary and so forth *) .

magnetfreezer

If you don't want to move DLs around, most state DMVs will give you a state ID for $5-10. Also can come in handy during hurevac situations when the cops have blocked off the neighborhood you are returning to and you need proof that you live there.