• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
BEVO
Kiss your wife, and protect her. She is much like mine and, "what can we buy to protect our family" is her reaction.
AK-47 if you want to protect your house and those in it. Idiot proof as proven in countless encounters worldwide by people who think a water buffalo is high tech.
If you are looking at a battle rifle, the AK-47 still gets high marks. If you are going to be a sniper, you are looking at high tech and specialized training and equipment. If you plan to get into firefights on a close and personal level, make sure your will is up to date and have something you can rely on.
"Looks great, feels great, is proven in battle". So what good is it if you are not part of a rifle squad? That seems to be the major flaw in the discussion about defense and guns, both long and short. Are you going to be part of a defense unit solo, or with others?
When I was much younger, I went thru literally hundreds of guns thinking I was ready for whatever came down the pike. Now, much older, with bullet wounds/scars, I am less cocky (not much though) and realize when its time to back off and take another look.
My personal armory consists of several 1911A1, a Remington 700ADL 30/06 in a fibreglas stock that will reach out to 700 yds and nail a 10" plate, shot after shot, a Remington 870 12Ga, and a Mossburg 20Ga pump.
Also have some wicked blades that can seperate a torso in the event I can't reach one of the guns. Then, of course, a compound bow that I can use to great effect to at least 40 yards with 6" accuracy. And, not to forget the kitchen knives or the combat knives that are disbursed about the house.
Did I mention, I am a pacifist with the training and ability to enforce my rights to be a pacifist?
Semper fi
Rocky

Who shot you?

MrsPickle

MIT- Manatee In Training
Contributor
My personal armory consists of several 1911A1, a Remington 700ADL 30/06 in a fibreglas stock that will reach out to 700 yds and nail a 10" plate, shot after shot, a Remington 870 12Ga, and a Mossburg 20Ga pump.
Also have some wicked blades that can seperate a torso in the event I can't reach one of the guns. Then, of course, a compound bow that I can use to great effect to at least 40 yards with 6" accuracy. And, not to forget the kitchen knives or the combat knives that are disbursed about the house.
Did I mention, I am a pacifist with the training and ability to enforce my rights to be a pacifist?
Semper fi
Rocky
Remind me not to break into your house to steal your ice ceam. :eek:

FlyinRock

There are a few on the NG who have seen the pics of my ass and the bullet wounds in my back and leg. Nothing to be proud of except it is unusual to see them? Got so many scars on my old carcass I have a hard time counting them anymore. As far as that goes, when I sit up in the morning, or is it evening?, I try to figure out if I'm going to bed or getting up!! Fauuuck its tough when you get old .......
There are those who talk about good vs bad and are regurgitating crap published in gun magazines written by people who are so far removed from reality they belong on TV. (hmmmm, maybe they are?)
The whole point is, arrogance and all, I've been shot and survived it. I've done shooting and they didn't survive it. I speak from personal experience and not hypothetical bullshit.
I love the M-1 and the M-14 in .30cal. just to stay on topic. Won lots of medals with them in competition. The more you add to a weapon, the more you enhance the chances for a malfunction or failure. doesn't matter what weapon either IMO.
Semper Fi
Rocky

eaw75

Bevo,

In case you are still considering Rock River Arms, I recently placed an order with them for an AR upper assembly, with an original quoted shipping time of 16-20 weeks... that's now pushed from anywhere between 4 and 12 months. I decided to order from Fulton Armory as well, they are projecting 8 weeks to shipment. I figure that once both are in my possession, I can unload one of them on gunbroker.com for a profit.

Bevo16

pilot
I paid a visit to my favorite Memphis gun shop today. This place is pretty sick. Every other gun shop in the area has no (and I mean ZERO) 9mm, and they probably have 20K rounds of various brands. They have 30+ AR's including 5 Rock River models (every other place laughs at you when you mention RR), and no less than 8 brand new Springfield Armory M1A's behind glass. No place in the city had one, and only 1 of 4 other shops was even willing to put me on a wait list.

As sexy and nice as each of those weapons were, they are damn expensive. $1500 just to get the base model, $1720 for the "loaded" model, and up the go from there all the way to $3000+ for the sexy supermatch gear. I can't decide if I want to "pull the trigger" on this buy just yet. That's a lot of coin, and I am on the wrong side of the supply/demand curve right now. Could prices go down by the fall? Will these things be illegal by the fall?

I have the cash, but damn, it's a lot of cash.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
As sexy and nice as each of those weapons were, they are damn expensive. $1500 just to get the base model, $1720 for the "loaded" model, and up the go from there all the way to $3000+ for the sexy supermatch gear.

$1500 for a stock M1A is a pretty good price. Not quite as good as they were pre-Obama (I saw a few going for $1250 NIB), but they're going for close to two large on gunbroker now.

And .308 ammo is VERY expensive at the moment. But then again so is every other caliber.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
As sexy and nice as each of those weapons were, they are damn expensive. $1500 just to get the base model, $1720 for the "loaded" model, and up the go from there all the way to $3000+ for the sexy supermatch gear. I can't decide if I want to "pull the trigger" on this buy just yet. That's a lot of coin, and I am on the wrong side of the supply/demand curve right now. Could prices go down by the fall? Will these things be illegal by the fall?

I have the cash, but damn, it's a lot of cash.

I feel your pain. No question that $1500 is a lot of dough but like C240 said that's a good price in today's market. There is no way to tell for sure but M1A's are on "the list" of weapons targeted on any new assault weapon bill. They were included in the last one.

IMHO there is no way the price on an M1A will drop much if any. It hasn't in the last 20 years.

I wouldn't buy one just for the investment but I don't think you will do better than those prices. I don't think it will go up much either short term unless Obama's AG says something else stupid.

I swear I'm thinking about sending Eric Holder and email thanking him for selling another couple hundred thousand black rifles with his comments on the assault rifle ban.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I swear I'm thinking about sending Eric Holder and email thanking him for selling another couple hundred thousand black rifles with his comments on the assault rifle ban.
I love how most of the "assault weapons" have been on the market for the past 30-50 years, and yet it's only now that they've become dangerous, evil, and bannable. Somehow there wasn't a huge crime wave when the AR-15 went on the civilian market for the first time.

Besides, would it really make a point to ban them once everybody owns one? :D

Bevo16

pilot
I am back from the gun store. Mission accomplished.

This is not mine, but it looks something like this:

sai_ma9226.jpg

I'll get some actual pictures up later.

22 inch , 1 in 11" twist, National Match med. wt. premium air gauged barrel.

National Match front blade sight, GI match grade rear sight with 1/2 MOA adjustment.

4.5 pound 2 stage military trigger.

one 10 round mag
two 20 round mags

$1820

OBTW, the gun store had 8 in stock when I was there yesterday. When I left today, they had 3. I feel better now that it is purchased. I also have to keep an eye out for who is planting car bombs in Memphis.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I am back from the gun store. Mission accomplished.
sai_ma9226.jpg

$1820

BZ ... while it's @ 20-30% more than a year +/- ago ... I think you did well ... you're certainly ahead of the current online auction crowd ... :)

Bevo16

pilot
This one is mine:

The one with me was taken by my 4 year old, and I am not as grumpy or fat as I look in that picture. Honest.

Thanks A4's

I thought you might give me crap for getting the synthetic stock instead of wood. They shipped that one to Houston about 4 hours before I made it through the door.

Attachments

• DSCN1473.JPG
    DSCN1473.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 92
  • DSCN1475.JPG
    DSCN1475.JPG
    896.1 KB · Views: 117