• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I'm sorry but that has to be the ugliest M-1a I have ever seen. :)

Function over form, my friend. And the look will grow on you, I promise.

Flash, they're hard to find in gun shops. They've been flying off the shelves in the last few months. One of my friends (eppstheman, on here) had to order one. I think he waited a few months for it. Outstanding weapon though---well worth the wait.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I picked a new standard M1A two weeks ago, from the shop at the only range nearby Cherry Point. I shot it a few days ago (fucking OPT/airspace shit prevented me from going sooner), and was offered about 200 bucks over what I paid for it. I didn't sell. It shoots great, btw, but the 30-rnd magazines are a bit large for it.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you

You can Never go wrong with anything classic. I would suggest if you were to get one of those also go and get a good shooting jacket. I have two quality shooting jackets I picked up at a gun show which I show the M1A and the M1 and I cant feel a thing in my shoulder.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
The care and feeding of an M1A and Garand is quite a bit different than for many other weapons. You can always find an old Mil Pub which is ok but I highly recommend that all M1A owners pick up one of the two books mentioned below. Since I don't shoot my M1A as often as I'd like I consider The M14 Owners Guide indispensable during cleaning etc.

The M14 Complete Assembly Guide - The key to support and maintenance of your M14/M1A® Rifle by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee. Since the publication of Scott Duff and John Miller’s The M14 Owner’s Guide and Match Conditioning Instruction, readers have asked for a book that would help guide them through the maintenance, enhancement, disassembly and assembly of their M14/M1A® rifle. Ideally, such a book would impart the tips, tricks, pitfalls and “gotchas!” that experienced M14/M1A® rifle enthusiasts and armorers have discovered and developed over the years.

This is that book. It goes far beyond the military manuals in depth and scope, using words and over 600 pictures to clearly guide you through every operation required to support your M14/M1A®. You’ll learn the best and easiest ways to enhance, disassemble and assemble your rifle. It won’t make you an M14/M1A® armorer, but it will make you a knowledgeable owner. You’ll be able to do more with (and to) your rifle. You’ll also be able to better judge the competence of those you choose to work on your rifle, and to discuss your needs more intelligently with them.
In short, you’ll know your M14/M1A® inside and out.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... the picture is worth 1000 words. Can you hammer some of the words out for me though? :)...
Well, the other guys have already said most of it; but to recap:

In your present Rock River Arms AR-15:

1. You've got your intermediate cartridge rifle ...
2. You've got your manual of arms down on a military staple in shape of an AR...
3. You've got something relatively light-weight for short-medium range ...
4. You've got something w/ lots of options and parts available ...
5. You've got a "plastic" rifle ...
6. You've got something that's a USGI clone w/ history behind it ...
7. You've got an American classic ...

That's why I'd get:

1. A full-power cartridge rifle ...
2. Learn a new manual of arms on a basic military rifle ...
3. A rifle for medium-long(er) range ...
4. A rifle w/ lots of options and parts available ...
5. A wood & steel "back to basics" rifle ...
6. A rifle that's a USGI clone w/ history behind it ...
7. An American classic ...

That's why I'd opt for the M1A in a nutshell ... you've got one that's functional and a go-to rifle in your current R/R AR ... now go for one that's functional -- and "go-to" -- AND a beautiful, aesthetic melding of wood & steel in the classic American military firearms tradition ... an M1A.

Bevo16

pilot
Thanks everyone. I think that I am going to go with the M1A. Now I just have to find one.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Thanks everyone. I think that I am going to go with the M1A. Now I just have to find one.
Try this website ... it's one I've used in the past many times w/ few or no problems. As always, due diligence on your part is necessary ... type M1A in the search box:

GunBroker.com

There's presently @ 15+ pages w/ @ 700+ listings for M1A rifles and parts ...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Custom M14/M1A

Any good places to pick up a 'classic' M1A/M14, if the local shops don't carry them? And just how much would it set one back?

Best places IMHO are from SEAL Snipers who are gunsmiths. Andy Nelson builds them to order out of his shop at Fallon. You can purchase your own receiver and have him customize it from there or have him do everything for you. I currently have mine in Andy's safe because it's easier and more fun to shoot out there and I'm there so often (leave tomorrow for Fallon). So if in Fallon or planning to go there, he can show you his and mine.

There is also his close friend in Tidewater who has built them for DEVGRU who has been known to take orders as well. Buckethead has his here in Tidewater as do several other aviators who used him. end me a PM in either case if you want to be connected.

My National Match custom ordered long rifle being fine-tuned by Andy at Fallon.

Andyatwork.jpg

Photo by HJ

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
+1 on going with a Springfield M1A. Good call.

A4s summed it up the best - it is a classic. Equally a Garand would be a good choice too.

Buy yourself a reloading press - something simple from the outset. .308 will drain your wallet fast!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Best places IMHO are from SEAL Snipers who are gunsmiths. Andy Nelson builds them to order out of his shop at Fallon. You can purchase your own receiver and have him customize it from there or have him do everything for you.

Thanks for the info. Just how much would a custom job set one back, roughly?