• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scooters Forever (A-4 Skyhawk Tribute Thread)

brownshoe

Contributor
I now remember that awhile back, I posted a video which showed A-4F's taxiing with the strap plainly in view. Ronl, check out the first couple of minutes in this video for some footage. By the way, is there any particular reason you have such an interest in the canopy strap? Are you a model builder, a third-world dictator who has acquired some A-4's via the black market, or just an A-4 enthusiast?

BzB and I were wondering the same thing. :) BTW... great video Zip!

( Received email, answered same.)

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I think they were short on static display aircraft and they (the base) used one from somewhere else on the base. If you look it is sponsored by a local school and Kingsville ISD.

Ronl

Hi Guys,

No, I am not a third world terrorist with some surplus A-4s. I used to do some modelling when I was younger, now I just look at other people's models. I am definitely an A-4 enthusiast, and really enjoy having the opportunity to talk to you guys who actually flew and worked on these great aircraft.

Regarding the canopy strap, I find it to be a interesting and unique feature of the A-4. It looks pretty neat. FYI, there were two other aircraft that used a similar canopy strap - the Vought F-8 Crusader and the Vought A-7 Corsair.

I am currently in Whitehorse, Yukon Territories, attending a northern aviation conference and cannot seem to open the video. I will have to check it out when I get down "south" to Winnipeg (north of Fargo, ND). It's all relative, guys.

Thanks again.

Ron

BzB and I were wondering the same thing. :) BTW... great video Zip!

( Received email, answered same.)

Pags

N/A
pilot
NA-4M recently restored by VX-1's 12C shop for the NAS Pax Air Museum.

Attachments

• IMAG0208.jpg
    IMAG0208.jpg
    915.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMAG0209.jpg
    IMAG0209.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMAG0211.jpg
    IMAG0211.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33

Ronl

Oops. Bad typo there. I should have said "third world dictator". It would be nice to have

Hi Guys,

No, I am not a third world terrorist with some surplus A-4s. I used to do some modelling when I was younger, now I just look at other people's models. I am definitely an A-4 enthusiast, and really enjoy having the opportunity to talk to you guys who actually flew and worked on these great aircraft.

Regarding the canopy strap, I find it to be a interesting and unique feature of the A-4. It looks pretty neat. FYI, there were two other aircraft that used a similar canopy strap - the Vought F-8 Crusader and the Vought A-7 Corsair.

I am currently in Whitehorse, Yukon Territories, attending a northern aviation conference and cannot seem to open the video. I will have to check it out when I get down "south" to Winnipeg (north of Fargo, ND). It's all relative, guys.

Thanks again.

Ron

Ronl

I'm having computer problems here. I better take a break. I meant to say "it would be nice to have an A-4 on display around here". And Winnipeg is in Manitoba, the new home of the NHL Winnipeg Jets. Have you seen the team logo? It's not an A-4 (it's actually an F-18), but it still looks great.

Ron

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And Winnipeg is in Manitoba, the new home of the NHL Winnipeg Jets. Have you seen the team logo? It's not an A-4 (it's actually an F-18), but it still looks great.

Ron

While the logo looks somewhat like an F/A-18, the tail looks nothing like a Hornet.

imageiru.jpg

imagenmp.jpg

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
<<<Regarding the canopy strap, I find it to be a interesting and unique feature of the A-4. It looks pretty neat. FYI, there were two other aircraft that used a similar canopy strap - the Vought F-8 Crusader and the Vought A-7 Corsair.>>>
Thanks again.Ron

Ron ...

I do not recall a canopy strap on the LTV A7 Corsair II ...at least in the first year and a half of it's service in the fleet. Flew the very first ones delivered to the west coast RAG beginning in Feb 1967, BuNo's 152xxx series.

The "other" Ron (Banty)

Ronl

Ea6bflyr - It is a stylized F-18 on the jersey crest. I was initially concerned that it looked too much like an F-16. However, the intent is to represent an F-18 (which the Canadian Air Force flys). Once the graphic artists get involved, however, accuracy kind of goes out the window.

Ron B - I'm not sure when the Navy started using the canopy strap on their A-7s, but a vast majority of Navy A-7 pictures show the canopy strap being used when the canopy is open. However, the USAF did not use the strap on their A-7s. Probably because they didn't experience the jet blast problems and wind over deck associated with carrier operations.

Ron

Ron ...

I do not recall a canopy strap on the LTV A7 Corsair II ...at least in the first year and a half of it's service in the fleet. Flew the very first ones delivered to the west coast RAG beginning in Feb 1967, BuNo's 152xxx series.

The "other" Ron (Banty)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Ea6bflyr - It is a stylized F-18 on the jersey crest. I was initially concerned that it looked too much like an F-16. However, the intent is to represent an F-18 (which the Canadian Air Force flys). Once the graphic artists get involved, however, accuracy kind of goes out the window.

At least hockey is back in Winnipeg!

And you should know, it's a sweater not a jersey, eh?! ;)

Ronl

Hi Swanee,

Well, it can be either a sweater or a jersey........either way, I think they look pretty good. Yep, its great to have the Jets and NHL hockey back in Winnipeg!

Zipmartin, thanks for providing the link to the great video of VFC - 12's A-4s. Great footage! I found a related video on Youtube that shows the last flyby and flight of VFC-12's A-4s. The pilots get hosed down at the end of their trip and then taped up. Looks like quite the event. Here is the link:

At least hockey is back in Winnipeg!

And you should know, it's a sweater not a jersey, eh?! ;)

D

diveplane

hi all

i am a big fan of aviation , and one of my top aircraft is the A-4 skyhawk , great workhorse aircraft, they should have never retired them to be honest.

i am currently doing a simulation project , and need all your help guys.

will be 3d modelling the A-4B and E , but i need a good blue print of the cockpit layout , and or research photos of the cockpit gauges and left right panels.

i have currently finsihed the external model have a look.
;)
wireframe model

texture added

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
will be 3d modelling the A-4B and E , but i need a good blue print of the cockpit layout , and or research photos of the cockpit gauges and left right panels.

Unfortunately, I have no blueprints for the cockpit layout of the A-4B or A-4E, but having flown extensively in both models, I can tell you the cockpit layout (gauges & side panels) are totally different. The 'E' has a different engine, additional systems such as AFCS, AJB-3 AAI, wing spoilers, radar & more.

A-4B-1.jpgA-4B-2.jpg
EDIT: Google "A-4B cockpit photos" (same for A-4E). There are many more photos
like these.

The "Golden Dragons" of VA-192 would be mighty proud of their modex 200 model you have depicted above!:)
BzB