• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scooters Forever (A-4 Skyhawk Tribute Thread)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If memory serves, that was kinda the 'drill' @ Saufley in the Teenie-Weenie B-model with the slight adjustment that it was open cockpit in the landing pattern for everyone ...
I vividly remember flying the T-34B with the canopy open when my instructor quizzed me about a landmark I needed to know.

With the canopy open, I stupidly grabbed the stick with my left hand, and with my right, I pointed to the landmark with my whole arm outside the cockpit into the slipstream.

'bout dislocated my shoulder! :eek: (accompanied by laughter from the back seat)

Coota0

None
Tasked and fitted out as an ASW carrier, the air wing of an Essex such as Bennington in the 1960s consisted of two squadrons of S-2F Trackers and one squadron of Sikorsky SH-34 ASW helicopters (replaced in 1964 by SH-3A Sea Kings). Airborne early warning was first provided by modified EA-1Es; these were upgraded in 1965 to E-1s. A squadron of A-4Bs were also embarked to provide daylight fighter protection for the ASW aircraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex_class

Read on Wiki that the Navy used A-4Bs as fighters on the ASW carriers, were there squadrons that specialized for this?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex_class

Read on Wiki that the Navy used A-4Bs as fighters on the ASW carriers, were there squadrons that specialized for this?
From the Skyhawk website:
"The Anti-Submarine Fighter Squadron concept was to have a large squadron that provided a detachment to each CVS (anti-submarine warfare) aircraft carrier. The VSF detachment was to be responsible for CAP (Combat Air Patrol) over the CVS carrier. The VSF detachment was also responsible for the light attack mission and on occasion to pass gas, but because of the demands of the war in Vietnam the expanded fighter concept was scrapped and VSF detachments took the regular attack mission...."

VSF-1, VSF-3, VSF-76, and VSF-86 were the 'official' units ... they flew dets comprised of -B and -C models .... sailed on the SHITTY-SHANG, the INDY, the EVIL I, and the TICO amongst others ... they were eventually disestablished during the Vietnam excursion and the drivers & birds were folded into VA and VC units.

Other VA units performed a similar ad-hoc function when tasked, for example: a VA-113 det was aboard the BENNINGTON providing 'fighter protection' when I sailed on her ...

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
Last year I had the opportunity to visit "Valiant Air Command Warbird Museum" (http://www.vacwarbirds.org/) in Titusville, FL and snapped a photo of an A-4 (a TA-4K?) being restored and slated for markings in the Blue Angels livery:

RestorationAngelsSkyhawk.jpg

Stopper006

I was out playing golf here in san antonio and heard what i knew to be a fighter engine, looked up and thought i seeing things when I saw a scooter at about 2k ft but it looks like i'm not the only one who's seen em.

yak52driver

Contributor
This A-4 recently completed being rebuilt, flies out of the Waukegan, IL airport. It was also up at OSH this summer for the fly-in.

Attachments

• a-4.jpg
    a-4.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 78

yak52driver

Contributor
^^^^^ Cool pictures! The A-4 is a neat looking airplane, I've always liked it. Looks like it would have been a blast to fly.

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
How does the bridle catcher on the bow of the ship work? Are the bridles directed into the nets, or it is simply located where most of them go?