• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scooters Forever (A-4 Skyhawk Tribute Thread)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
a few more...

Attachments

• 4thofJuly09 029_800x600.jpg
    4thofJuly09 029_800x600.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 4thofJuly09 036_800x600.jpg
    4thofJuly09 036_800x600.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 4thofJuly09 041_800x600.jpg
    4thofJuly09 041_800x600.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 4thofJuly09 042_800x600.jpg
    4thofJuly09 042_800x600.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 4thofJuly09 044_800x600.jpg
    4thofJuly09 044_800x600.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 23

Jabba

pilot
A-4 at NASM

The A-4 pictured here is located at the National Air & Space Museum in DC. The museum wanted an aircraft for its Naval Aviation display, so that's the one the Navy gave them. I told my Dad about it in 1978, he went down & it turned out it was in his squadron in Viet Nam. In exchange for a look at his logbook showing that this BUNO had been flown in combat from the Bonny Dick, they painted his name on it. He'd recently (1973) returned from his longest shore duty tour (Hanoi Hilton 5 1/2 years).

Jabba

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Salute To Your Dad!

The A-4 pictured here is located at the National Air & Space Museum in DC. The museum wanted an aircraft for its Naval Aviation display, so that's the one the Navy gave them. I told my Dad about it in 1978, he went down & it turned out it was in his squadron in Viet Nam. In exchange for a look at his logbook showing that this BUNO had been flown in combat from the Bonny Dick, they painted his name on it. He'd recently (1973) returned from his longest shore duty tour (Hanoi Hilton 5 1/2 years).

Jabba

Jabba, if you will e-mail me your Dad's name, I am sure I would know him. I was flying A-4s in VA-146 on Connie during "Rolling Thunder", about the same time as he went down. Was he in VA-76 or VA-212?

I saw the A-4 at the Air & Space Muaeum when I visited the Vietnam Wall in 1988. I just can't remember whose name was on it. :confused:
BzB

Yankee Uniform Tango
Thank you for sharing the story Jabba. I took the liberty to find a close-up picture of the A-4 in question, and it looks like the name on the fuselage is that of Cdr. R.B. Fuller of VA-76.

"July 14, 1967
VA-76 Commanding Officer, Commander R. B. Fuller, shot down during combat mission over North Vietnam. Captured by enemy troops, he was a prisoner of war. Commander Fuller was released from captivity on March 4, 1973. "

He flew an A-4C, BuNo 147709 that day.

Source
Source 2

rare21

pilot
Contributor

Jabba

Jabba if your dad wanted to come down to the real South Texas he'd never have to buy another beer again compliments of me.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So. Texas

Jabba if your dad wanted to come down to the real South Texas he'd never have to buy another beer again compliments of me.

Rare, If I ever come back to So. Texas, it will NOT be to take your rifle...but to share a Lone Star or several with a fellow NA!:icon_zbee
I'm a So.Texas survivor, having done my jet advanced in Beeville in '58. A big night on the town in those days was a double date @ the Texas Drive-In with a case of iced-down Lone Star & 2 NAVCADs in the trunk! Great flying also in the 'ol F9F-8 Cougar. Fun times...:spin_125:
Stay safe Smokey!
BzB

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...... Great flying also in the 'ol F9F-8 Cougar. Fun times...:spin_125:

BzB

Ok, "T" models, but close. :)

tf9j.jpg
f9fs1.jpg

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wrong!!!

Ok, "T" models, but close. :)

tf9j.jpg

CatMan...There were no F9F-8T (TF9J)s at Chase Field in '58. All duals were in Instrument Phase (TV-2s) at that time. Even the "-8 swept-wing Cougars" were new to the TRACOM, as our sister advanced sqdns in Memphis & Kingsville were still flying F9F-2 straight-wing Panthers.:icon_tong
BzB

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
CatMan...There were no F9F-8T (TF9J)s at Chase Field in '58. All duals were in Instrument Phase (TV-2s) at that time. Even the "-8 swept-wing Cougars" were new to the TRACOM, as our sister advanced sqdns in Memphis & Kingsville were still flying F9F-2 straight-wing Panthers.:icon_tong
BzB

Roger that -- when I did my Aviation 'indoc' @ CHASE ... they had both types of F9s ... two-seat Trainers and single-seat former fighter/bombers ... the single seat birds were used to 'chase' (no pun) STUD flights, and frequently were used by late-stage STUDs to fill out the flight schedule when a sufficiency of 'trainers' did not meet the demands of the daily schedule ...

During my 'indoc' back-seat TF9 ride ... we joined up on a Argentinian STUD (Venezuelan?) in a single-seat bird for an impromptu ACM yank & bank session ... :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Roger that -- when I did my Aviation 'indoc' @ CHASE ... they had both types of F9s ... two-seat Trainers and single-seat former fighter/bombers ... the single seat birds were used to 'chase' (no pun) STUD flights, and frequently were used by late-stage STUDs to fill out the flight schedule when a sufficiency of 'trainers' did not meet the demands of the daily schedule ...

During my 'indoc' back-seat TF9 ride ... we joined up on a Argentinian STUD (Venezuelan?) in a single-seat bird for an impromptu ACM yank & bank session ... :)
Curiosity took me to my old logbook. Out of a total of 106 flights at VT-24, the breakdown was:

86 hops in the two-seat trainer TF9J
20 hops in the single seat AF9J

As studs, we were jealous of the instructors. They could (maybe required to?) fly around the landing pattern with their canopy open in the AF9J, but we students were prohibited to do so.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... As studs, we were jealous of the instructors. They could (maybe required to?) fly around the landing pattern with their canopy open in the AF9J, but we students were prohibited to do so.
If memory serves, that was kinda the 'drill' @ Saufley in the Teenie-Weenie B-model with the slight adjustment that it was open cockpit in the landing pattern for everyone ... but when you were off on a STUD solo in the area -- the open canopy , John Wayne 'Flying Leathernecks' imitation was a 'no-no'. I guess 'they' thought we might go crazy or something ... ???

So, of course .... what was the first thing many STUD-solos would do upon arrival in the area ... ??? :)

Three guesses ... the first two don't count. :D

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
What was the reasoning behind flying with the top down back in the day, other than it looked cool and made your silk scarf flap around your leather helmet?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What was the reasoning behind flying with the top down back in the day, other than it looked cool and made your silk scarf flap around your leather helmet?
It made it easier to egress the airplane when in the landing pattern and the engine went *cough* ... *COUGH* ... and you thought: Boy, it's REALLY quiet in here all of a sudden ... :confused: ... why isn't the prop turning (?) ... why am I descending (??) :confused: .... HOLY SHIT !!! We're gonna' LAND !!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Up high -- it looked cool and made our silk scarves flap around our leather helmets ... :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It made it easier to egress the airplane when in the landing pattern and the engine went *cough* ... *COUGH* ... and you thought: Boy, it's REALLY quiet in here all of a sudden ... :confused: ... why isn't the prop turning (?) ... why am I descending (??) :confused: .... HOLY SHIT !!! We're gonna' LAND !!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Up high -- it looked cool and made our silk scarves flap around our leather helmets ... :)
All that plus this: The f-9 ejection seat was not a "zero-zero" seat.

So in the landing pattern you were very close to being out of the safe ejection seat envelope. Thus your only (survivable) option might be to belly it in. Having the canopy already open helps for a faster exit from a crashed and burning Cougar. :)