• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scale model fans...questions and showcase of work

navyao

Gypsy Super Hornet loadout for scale model purposes?

Not to be too much of a geek but I was hoping someone that's been around the F/A-18E or F could answer a question or two.

I'm deciding on a load for the Rhino I'm building. My Super Hornet's a lot 29-30and it'll be modeled after VFA-32's Gypsy 200. I guess on deployment it's usually in the wet-5 configuration but I don't want to do that. I still think it's wrong that a fighter is passing gas but that's me.

Anyway, I was thinking a CATM-9, CATM-120 or 7, centerline tank and TACTS pod. Now, my question is, if you guys are at Oceana/Lemoore whatever on what stations are your AO's loading everything for a basic ACM hop? Are you guys flying CATM-9X or 9M's or 9L's? Would you fly with a mix of BVR, non-BVR captive stuff or no?

When I was in the Tomcat Community, we loaded a TACTS pod and a CATM-9M when we were on the beach, that's it.

Ok, those are my questions. I really appreciate the help. All the pics I've found I can't find squat for what I need to know. I hate asking you guys this stuff but I'm getting desperate.

Thanks much,

Tom

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're talking about a model...right??? :D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to be too much of a geek but I was hoping someone that's been around the F/A-18E or F could answer a question or two.

I'm deciding on a load for the Rhino I'm building. My Super Hornet's a lot 29-30and it'll be modeled after VFA-32's Gypsy 200. I guess on deployment it's usually in the wet-5 configuration but I don't want to do that. I still think it's wrong that a fighter is passing gas but that's me.

Anyway, I was thinking a CATM-9, CATM-120 or 7, centerline tank and TACTS pod. Now, my question is, if you guys are at Oceana/Lemoore whatever on what stations are your AO's loading everything for a basic ACM hop? Are you guys flying CATM-9X or 9M's or 9L's? Would you fly with a mix of BVR, non-BVR captive stuff or no?

When I was in the Tomcat Community, we loaded a TACTS pod and a CATM-9M when we were on the beach, that's it.

Ok, those are my questions. I really appreciate the help. All the pics I've found I can't find squat for what I need to know. I hate asking you guys this stuff but I'm getting desperate.

Thanks much,

Tom

From last week at Fallon. Now that VFA-11 has "defected" to another Air Wing, Gypsies are 100 series.

FallonMar2009198.jpg

HJ Photo

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
99% of the time we fly with a CATM-9X/M only (in terms of ordance) for any intercept/BFM flight. Probably fine with just adding a centerline tank and possibly an ATFLIR on station 5.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
HJ - What's hanging off of the TER? It looks like weird CATM-9 with a head off of a GBU-12. Might just be the angle of the picture.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
It would explain my next question as to why the hell it was on the TER. I never saw any of those. We would just drop dummy -12's and -38's. Sure saves a lot of steel.

midhusker

Discovering my inner nerd-ness
If you are trying to model a lot 29 or 30, why don't you model it after a squadron that flys that lot of jet, i.e. -211, -136, -81. PM me if you want some good photos of that lot of jet. Or you can stick with a low lot gypsy jet and have an inaccurate model.

navyao

Hey Shnugg,

Yea, a model, I know that's why I called myself a "Geek." Since I got out I have to live vicariously through my model building now.

"Alabama Matt,"

Great and I've got the ATFLIR painted and ready to go. No TACTS pod?

PM sent

HJ,

Thanks very much for the pics, they're a huge help. One of these days I'll get this damn thing done.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Actually, what we were dropping is the LGTR-I vice the LGTR-II. We're Lot 28 jets, so if you consider that "low lot" then have at it. Yeah, it's not a Lot 29/30 but I wouldn't consider it a "low lot" jet.