• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scale model fans...questions and showcase of work

Mandingus

pilot
I just picked up a Kitty Hawk 1:32 scale T-28B/D for about 60 bucks.

https://www.kittyhawkmodel.com/product?lightbox=dataItem-il7eo6m4

I'm doing the T-28B build with VT-27 markings (my first command in 1974)

Adding it to my Tamiya 1:350 CVN-65 and my Kinetic 1:48 C-2A(R) builds.

Sorry for the necrothread.

I wasn't sure if there were still any scale modelers left on the board.

Kitty Hawk makes good stuff. I got back into modeling a couple of years back and have made some progress. My compressor shit the bed so I am currently using rattle cans. Actually waiting to start Tamiya Ferrari F189 next.

brownshoe

Contributor
I just picked up a Kitty Hawk 1:32 scale T-28B/D for about 60 bucks.

I'm doing the T-28B build with VT-27 markings (my first command in 1974)

Adding it to my Tamiya 1:350 CVN-65 and my Kinetic 1:48 C-2A(R) builds.

Sorry for the necrothread.

I wasn't sure if there were still any scale modelers left on the board.

Neato, T28! I had some back seat time while in Yuma on dets.

OldNavy is another AW member who's also getting old and crotchety. Gotcha beat though,
VA-44 at Cecil, mid 60's for me. :)

Last edited:

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Was thinking about getting back into this. What scale has the biggest selection for ships? Would like to standardize on one size.

1/700 has the most selection both on ship types and countries. I find 1/350 to be the most detailed. For instance you can detail the aircraft to have external fuel tanks, weapons, and refueling probes.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
In the meantime I've found other things to do with my time:

Impressive.

I went to the Decoy Festival in Beaufort NC last year for the beer tasting and the food trucks- but I was most impressed with the level of artwork and craftsmanship that goes into decoys.

jmcquate

Contributor
Was thinking about getting back into this. What scale has the biggest selection for ships? Would like to standardize on one size.
1/700 are plentiful, affordable and there is a lot of aftermarket PE available for them, but they are small.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Impressive.

I went to the Decoy Festival in Beaufort NC last year for the beer tasting and the food trucks- but I was most impressed with the level of artwork and craftsmanship that goes into decoys.
Thanks. That was my first decoy so I was just happy to find something mostly duck shaped inside the wood as opposed to a smaller chunk of wood. :)

What some folks can do with a piece of wood and some knives is truly amazing. Not sure I'll ever get there but I'm pretty happy so far. Added bonus is that you can do some of it on the porch with coffee or beer. Then just sweep the wood chips that the dogs don't eat in to the garden as mulch.