• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Salute this.

Join the dark side in the reserves... All of us O-4s/O-5s are on par with the JOs... Unless said O-4/5 is a tool, of course... Rank = More retirement money/ego booster..

I can't say I would agree with that 100%. Our CO is an O-5, with the XO, S1 and S3 being O-4. They are definatly not on par with my fellow O-1's. NCF is probably a different beast than most outfits in the Reserves, as we aren't used to augment an active unit, and are our own comissioned unit.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't say I would agree with that 100%. Our CO is an O-5, with the XO, S1 and S3 being O-4. NCF is probably a different beast than most outfits in the Reserves, thought...and I don't really have a basis for comparison, only knowledge of how it is done in our unit.

Reserve Avition and Reserve anything else, Apples and Oranges. Reserve Aviation is in many ways equal to or greater than AD aviation, everything else, not so much.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reserve guys have 2-3 times the hours of an AD squadron. IF you ask the suck and blow guys they probably all had their asses kicked at some point by a reserve squadron at some point. Anywhere else again the hours in model make a huge difference.

A ground reserve unit will require some kind of training program prior to comabt ops, squadron not required.

Maintenance is about equal maybe a little in the AD favor.

Reserve Avition and Reserve anything else, Apples and Oranges. Reserve Aviation is in many ways equal to or greater than AD aviation, everything else, not so much.

Gotcha.

Does Reserve Aviation keep up the same social structure of the AD components, for the most part?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have watched this thread in total amazement. The answer to the original post is to snatch 'em up and square them away on the spot. What are they gonna do, beat you up? They will either never do it again or avoid you at all costs. Who cares if they think your an ass.

Best post in this thread.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I think a lot of it is based on where you're stationed at too. The obvious differences between training/operational commands, but when I was attached to the embassy in Thailand the O-5's and O-6's (reservists) I was working with told me to call them by their first name, and they weren't aviation.

Just gotta play it by ear I suppose. The only time I've not had an E salute me was when she was walking with her head down. She saw my boots, looked up and seemed more surprised than anything.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think a lot of it is based on where you're stationed at too. The obvious differences between training/operational commands, but when I was attached to the embassy in Thailand the O-5's and O-6's (reservists) I was working with told me to call them by their first name, and they weren't aviation.

Just gotta play it by ear I suppose. The only time I've not had an E salute me was when she was walking with her head down. She saw my boots, looked up and seemed more surprised than anything.

Reminds me of something that happens to me about once a week on campus. Some of these batty chicks walk around with their head burried in their phone or IPOD, completely oblivious to the world. I purposely let them run into me so I can tell them to watch where the fvck they're going. It's the little things. :D

Brett

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Reminds me of something that happens to me about once a week on campus. Some of these batty chicks walk around with their head burried in their phone or IPOD, completely oblivious to the world. I purposely let them run into me so I can tell them to watch where the fvck they're going. It's the little things. :D

Brett

Why is it always the morons walking full speed ahead without looking? Always fun to knock into them and see the reaction...especially if they fall down. Small children seem to love doing this too...especially the ones at ball level.:eek:

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Gotcha.

Does Reserve Aviation keep up the same social structure of the AD components, for the most part?

Depends. I came from Whidbey where most squadrons are very tight to DC as a TAR then a SELRES and the squadron culture was very different.

Of course at Whidbey most folks lived with 10 miles of the base and hence each other. An external social life was pretty non-existant. Oak Harbor at that time had a population of about 10K and about 8 of those were base related. I lived in Anacortes which was 15 minutes away and folks thought I lived on the dark side of the moon. DC being much larger and people having jobs and homes spread over a much larger distance makes an AD like social life difficult.

WRT the experience question at one point in VAQ-209 I think we only had 2 aircrew with less than 1000 hours or 300 traps. In fact, at least 50% of us had over 2000 hours. When I left 209 I had 19 years in and had never left the cockpit. Had green ink time in every conflict from 1990 on and my civilian job is working in the SIGINT Community.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Rank comes off in the cockpit. It has to. This is not shoe-world at 15kt where you have minutes to make a plan and execute.

Yeah, but it goes back on once you leave the debrief. Maintaining good CRM isn't an excuse for nastiness outside the cockpit. As much as it pains us, the best COs aren't always the best sticks and vice versa. The relationship changes based on the situation. Disagreement, if handled well, isn't respect.

Even if you don't admit it, your cockpit technique will change with rank. At least it should. I told a lieutenant once after a bad approach, "Do you see that 46 turning in front of you? Would you mind not trying to kill us by running into it? " I wouldn't debrief the CO's approaches with such candor.