• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Salute this.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
One time, however, I was told by one of my NCOs (at the time) to stop saluting, reason being many Marine Officers get sick of returning salutes all of the time (this was primarily on the ramp) ... interesting.

Oh come on, at the Academy any given officer of any given service is no doubtedly sick of giving salutes as he/she walks between the mids changing clasess, yet everyone gives the salutes. Again, goes back to better to err on the side of safety.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh come on, at the Academy any given officer of any given service is no doubtedly sick of giving salutes as he/she walks between the mids changing clasess, yet everyone gives the salutes. Again, goes back to better to err on the side of safety.
Goes back to being a professional, on both sides. If the worst thing that happens in your day is that you have to salute a bunch of junior personnel, you just had a very good day.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Well you must have missed the primarily on the ramp part of my post. The ramp is considered an "optional salute zone" ... primarily because you are not required to wear your cover there (as many of us are working in our perspective shops and on vehicles) ... so you don't absolutely have to salute. Outside of that, those Marines that gaffed off the salute probably have done a couple tours in Iraq...having primary respect for their Marine officers. YES they should show the proper resect, and by and large they do. But you can't say they are shvtbags just because they've got pride and a little attitude. If it'd been a Marine officer walking by they'd have snapped to.

Regardless, being a Mid you don't get much experience with enlisted troops.. I'd recommend witholding judgement. Thats not to say they shouldn't be corrected, just that they are definitely NOT shvtbags. You can't measure someone's conduct by that... the E-4s and below are hard workers. Now if they'd gaffed off a Marine officer that'd be something to get up in arms about. So, they should have saluted, but they're still probably good Marines. It sounds like the situation was corrected anyway.

/rant

sarnav

Let me make sure I got this: gaffing off a Navy O is ok, but a Marine O would be "something to get up in arms about"? Great mentality, especially for a reservist/wannabe Officer. How many tours in Iraq do you have? Pretty quick to throw that punishment out there and then say their action is nothing to measure their conduct by because it was only a Navy Officer.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Well you must have missed the primarily on the ramp part of my post. The ramp is considered an "optional salute zone" ... primarily because you are not required to wear your cover there (as many of us are working in our perspective shops and on vehicles) ... so you don't absolutely have to salute. Outside of that, those Marines that gaffed off the salute probably have done a couple tours in Iraq...having primary respect for their Marine officers. YES they should show the proper resect, and by and large they do. But you can't say they are shvtbags just because they've got pride and a little attitude. If it'd been a Marine officer walking by they'd have snapped to.

Regardless, being a Mid you don't get much experience with enlisted troops.. I'd recommend witholding judgement. Thats not to say they shouldn't be corrected, just that they are definitely NOT shvtbags. You can't measure someone's conduct by that... the E-4s and below are hard workers. Now if they'd gaffed off a Marine officer that'd be something to get up in arms about. So, they should have saluted, but they're still probably good Marines. It sounds like the situation was corrected anyway.

/rant

Sorry my friend but I disagree almost 100% with you. Does a tour or two in Iraq suddenly justify bad conduct? Is it not possible that the Navy LT flew in Iraq as well? You're right about my inexperience w/ enlisted Marines....the only ones I come in contact w/ are $hit hot stellar examples of Marine non-coms who would never even consider such conduct. For the record around half of our MECEPS (at my unit) have combat experience, yet exhibit NONE of this attitude. Neither of us were there when this incident occured, so we really don't know what we are talking about, but I DO have a good overall impression of the professionalism of enlisted troops and this story doesn't jive with that. They may have been good Marines, but they also clearly don't get "it". Follow me?

The last paragraph of your post is perhaps the most incorrect bit of junior enlisted propaganda that I have ever heard. In turn, I recommend that you get a little bit more fleet experience before you make any more sweeping generalizations or offer your advice.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

/rant

You don't' have a clue what you're talking about and I'm getting tired of reading your inane ramblings as though you've "been there and done that." You have ZERO experience as an officer and not a whole lot more as an Enlisted Marine, so I'd advise you to curtail any further issuance of wisdom in the area of military courtesies before you lose what little credibility you had to begin with.

Brett

invertedflyer

Relax friend... I never claimed to have a "wealth of experience" ... however, I do have 3+ years as an enlisted Marine, so I can speak to that... and honestly I've grown a little weary of having my posts torn apart... what for? I'm not offering up wisdom in your neck of the woods, rather something that I have dealt with. Furthermore, its unneccesary for you to launch a personal attack here in the forum, much more constructive to PM me if you have some kind of personal agenda. Have you been an enlisted Marine? And how would you know how much experience I have? No need for this man.

To address the other posts... I think I posted a little bit hastily. I meant merely to say that because they made a mistake, that doesn't mean they are shvtbags. I, personally, only have reserve side experience so that covers that. Outside of that you're right, I shouldn't have generalized. Where I made the biggest mistake was to imply that being a Navy O was somehow less deserving of respect than a Marine O... completely incorrect, I'm sorry I really didn't mean it that way. Any officer serving in the armed services deserves the appropriate respect. Its hard to have Marines that I know work hard be called shvtbags because they made a mistake. I, personally, would have rendered the salute, and any good Marine should. Hope that cleared up things, I didn't mean to disrespect anyone or imply that Navy Os don't rate. I have the utmost respect for any O and most Marines do to.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Relax friend... I never claimed to have a "wealth of experience" ... however, I do have 3+ years as an enlisted Marine, so I can speak to that... and honestly I've grown a little weary of having my posts torn apart... what for? I'm not offering up wisdom in your neck of the woods, rather something that I have dealt with. Furthermore, its unneccesary for you to launch a personal attack here in the forum, much more constructive to PM me if you have some kind of personal agenda. Have you been an enlisted Marine? And how would you know how much experience I have? No need for this man.

he was an enlisted sailor, and has probably had the reciprocal of your experience in dealing with Marine officers. That said, I can't speak for Brett but I am not trying to personally attack you....just engaging in a debate

invertedflyer

No I completely understand... and I definitely have respect for Brett because of that. However, being on the Marine side can be a bit different... they get a little bit more rowdy, borderline sometimes. I took alot of heat from my fellow enlisted guys when I decided to complete OCS, got hazed a couple times... in fact I still get heat from it everytime I show up to drill with my section. I'm not gonna claim that OCS counts as "officer experience" ... so you have me there... but I obviously posted hastily and apologize for offending anyone.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Furthermore, its unneccesary for you to launch a personal attack here in the forum, much more constructive to PM me if you have some kind of personal agenda. Have you been an enlisted Marine? And how would you know how much experience I have? No need for this man.

Alright "man"...here is the deal. Don't refer to just anyone on this forum as "man". As a wiser member once told me, we are not all your buddies, friends or even peers.

Second...What in the world made you think that there was a personal attack made? The attack was targeted against your post...which was inane at best and absolutely ridiculous at worst. The fact of the matter is, that 90% of this post is garbage.

I don't care where a serviceman (of any branch) has served...that does not determine whether or not a superior rates a salute...to argue otherwise shows your ignorance.

Further, since when is it acceptable for a Marine to gaff off a non-Marine officer because they would have saluted a Marine? Its not...period.

Your defense of them as not "#$%^bags" is totally baseless. You never even saw them. You are defending them because they were hypothetically combat veterans, who hypothetically would have saluted a Marine officer, and who hypothetically, in every other way were "hard working" good Marines. Get right.

You have contributed some good things here...don't completely ruin your reputation by continuing to spout this garbage.

invertedflyer

Scoobs... read above mate ^^^ didn't mean to imply that it was acceptable... read the post after Brett's... I posted a little hastily... Didn't mean any disrespect, just trying to show a window into why Marines get a little rowdy (their conduct in this instance was unacceptable).. no offense meant.

invertedflyer

This current post was garbage, I'll readily admit that... I definitely came off in a way that I didn't intend. As far as other posts? I try to stay within the limits of my experience... if you don't think I have then I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way. I'll try to revise my statements and pay closer attention next time.

And on my b-day too? Whew, I'm gonna need a few rounds of Guiness to fill this whole that I've dug for myself.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This current post was garbage, I'll readily admit that... other posts? I try to stay within the limits of my experience... i you don't think I have then I'm sorry if I've offended you.

It's got nothing to do with being offended. What you do or say have absolutely no bearing or reflection upon me. You just make yourself look silly. Please make a note of it. End of discussion.

Brett

invertedflyer

Noted, I know I have... hence the Guiness ;)

WRT to other posts I'm sorry if I've stepped outside of my bounds, I honestly try to stay within them. Always room to improve. Happy Holidays.