• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Running at Newport

wannabe1

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all! Well, I am finally getting my fat butt into shape. Pushups are becoming easier and situps are becoming more tolerable. I did have a question on running though. While I am not the fastest runner, I am bettering myself on distance and time. I am able to run ~5K at a 10:30-11:30 pace (depends on if it's windy or not). I know that as I continue to work that my time will improve. My question is what type of distance will we run in Newport? 5K is just about my limit. . .I am really exherting myself and giving it my all. Thanks for your help. Looking at a mid-February report time.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
As I understand it, in the winter, much of the running will be in the gym. I would assume that if weather permits outside running, it will probably be similiar to P-cola, with runs 3-4 miles max. Again, this is what I have heard, and will soon find out for myself. As for now, I am running a 4 mile route increased from a 2 miler I was doing. I figure if I get my body used to running 4 miles, 1.5 will not make me so winded.

I am really exherting myself and giving it my all.

Keep in mind that if you are not used to running, your heart and lungs may be able to take it, but your legs won't. For instance. I am in Utah now and dealing with the snow, meaning no running and relying on a stationary bike. I thought, 'hey I will do jumping jacks straight for 5 minutes' during a workout routine I have been doing. Sure, I did it, but can really feel it (sore) in my calves since I used fast twitch muscles that aren't used to being used. Don't over exhert yourself too much or you will hurt yourself.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
The most I ever ran in Newport was not very far at all. It was probably about 3 miles and it was a rare treat. That was outdoors in warmer weather.

I'm not too sure about the longest you'll run inside the gym in winter, though.

joshmf

I am able to run ~5K at a 10:30-11:30 pace (depends on if it's windy or not).

Is that 10:30- 11:30 per mile, or total time. If that's your total time for 5k that's amazingly good. If that's per mile how did you pass the intial PRT?

skim

None
Contributor
God im dreading running in a gym. I don't like running on a track, and with such little room, I may as well just stand and spin in circles. Hopefully I will have the chance to get out in the open.

wannabe1

JOSHMF, just call me Pre! No, that is a per mile pace after I divide my total time by 3. . .that last mile severly damages my pace avg. Sorry for the confusion

joshmf

There are many good threads on here about running already, but what worked best for me were sprint workouts. The PRT run is only 1.5 miles, so it's really not a long distance run at all. Try doing 1.5 or 2 miles on a track, sprinting the straight parts and jogging the curves. The goal is to run a short distance at the fastest pace you can maintain, not endure ten miles at a time. Good luck, it sucks running this time of year.

blur

A-pool
There are many good threads on here about running already, but what worked best for me were sprint workouts. The PRT run is only 1.5 miles, so it's really not a long distance run at all. Try doing 1.5 or 2 miles on a track, sprinting the straight parts and jogging the curves. The goal is to run a short distance at the fastest pace you can maintain, not endure ten miles at a time. Good luck, it sucks running this time of year.

Good advice josh (nice name btw :D)...some sprint work outs will pay big dividends on your PRT time.

pecks333

well that is good to hear. i have been running but the problem has never been the distance or the pace. it has been me getting shin splints. how can i fix this and can i bring my own shoes?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I'm going through the same thing right now and am actually moving my OCS date back becasue of it. My recruiter is a runner and has helped me a lot with it. First step to healing, stop all running! I stopped running about a week and a half ago and all the pain is gone now, even when I push on the bone/muscle area that was hurting. While you are not running for the two weeks or so, ice the area 3-4 times a day. The key to keeping them away he said is very good stretching before runs. But even more importantly, if you are prone to shin splints, keep up your icing routine once you start running again. Thats what I'm going to do. I'm going to start running again in mid January and hopefully be good to go for whenever my new OCS date is, hopefully mid-end of February.

-Ken

skim

None
Contributor
Ken gives good advice. I always say that your stamina usually is greater then what your legs can take. Start off slow and work your way up. I think a stationary bike is a good tool to use to keep the heart rate up with little impact on the legs. I had shin splints pretty bad too awhile ago. I dont seem to have problems with them now.

badger16

None
[Thread jack]
It does deal with running though...can you wear a watch during OCS? I like to wear my one to keep my pace. Is that contraband? I would expect it would be okay once you are a Candidate Officer but wasn't sure about in the beginning.
[Thread jack]

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
We were only able to wear a watch for the out-PFA, if you wanted to, but it really depends on your DI. Don't count on wearing it for any reason other then when you're section leader or if you end up being pres or vp.

donmagicjuan

Don't. Bite. Your friends!
pilot
well that is good to hear. i have been running but the problem has never been the distance or the pace. it has been me getting shin splints. how can i fix this and can i bring my own shoes?

I used to get terrible shin splints whenever I ran more than 10 or so miles a week. Running in formation only ever seemed to exacerbate the problem. When I was training for the last PRT, I did some research on running. The best thing I found was to run with a faster cadence. It feels really goofy at first, but try to force yourself to take 3 strides per second. Apparently this is a common denominator among all elite runners. A quicker stride rate will ensure you are not leaping so high in the air, and will thus mitigate the impact on your legs. After your hip flexors become conditioned to the extra workout, you'll feel it comes rather naturally. Aside from preventing injuries, a consistent stride rate will also enable you to maintain a rock-solid pace for those longer distance runs. I was able to increase my mileage to 35 miles a week over 6 weeks running 7 days/week with absolutely no problems to report.

Also, make sure you have a pair of running shoes with good cushioning, replace them after 500 miles or so, and use them exclusively for running.

And for those interested in some reading regarding the physiological aspects of improving your run times, I highly recommend Daniels' Running Formula, by Jack Daniels.

trvsmrtn

pilot
Sounds like you guys have it easy since that old Senior Chief retired. We were running the trail 3 times a week and sometimes he'd get a wild hair up his ass and make us run it twice. Some days he'd make us run it reverse so we had to run up that long slope by the main gate and we always had to turn around and run backwards along the beach. He didn't give a damn about weather either. I shaved over 2 minutes off my run time doing that.