• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ROTC or OCS for a Flight Spot

exNavyOffRec

You just linked participation data for everyone 16 and over. This includes people still in high school as well as retirees. We're concerned about college graduates aged 22-25 here. Unfortunately, the site doesn't allow you to filter by both age 20-24 and college graduate. The first age group that allows that is age 25 or older. It also doesn't allow you to filter out just bachelor's degrees - it says bachelor's or higher.

I realized that after I sent it, I think there is another link I had that you could filter, either way it is nice to look at data that isn't tinkered with depending who is in office and how they want to put out info.

azguy

None
You're going to lock yourself in with ROTC, regardless of the service with which it's associated. You sign on the dotted line and then don't get that flight slot and find yourself running damage control drills onboard an FFG...then you'll be kicking yourself.

All a matter of perspective. I'd be "kicking myself" if I went to flight school and ended up as the UPS guy for that same FFG!

Eric-97

I think we scared the 17 year old kid already. He's going to enlist in the National Guard now.
Haha, thank you for all the input everyone, it truly does mean a lot! I am just reading and processing all this knowledge and information.

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
Also keep in mind that even after you commission from either source and get selected for aviation, there's still fun little things that can NPQ you, so there's really no guarantee either way.
Indeed, the NAMI whammy can come at any time. I went to API as a Pilot, got the whammy for depth perception, they just slid me over to NFO.

In fact my winging orders from Bupers said 1310 vice 1320 because it never got entered into the computer that I went NFO vs Pilot.

Not that it matters, being a RIO / WSO was a riot and I wouldn't change a thing.

And then there is the possibility, even with all the posturing, getting a pilot spot, etc, that you just won't hack the program, or get deathly airsick, or just freak out. It happens.

User1993

Let me start by saying I'm a 21 year old Naval Aviator wanna be, myself. So I'm not as "in the know" compared to most the guys on here. But I did read a comment in the NROTC section that as a Marine option you gan get a guaranteed flight spot, don't take my word as fact though, definitely do a search on that. I could possibly have my facts wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only college commissioning program I can think of that I know you can get a 100% guarantee SNA contract is PLC. Of course you'll only get that contract with a competetive gpa, astb score, pft. As well as making it through ocs, followed by tbs. Then finally you get the challenge of flight school.

All the past/current officers on here seems to agree that you need to want to be an officer first and a pilot/swo/etc second. So clearly they're right. Though it's hard for me to imagine myself doing anything but flying in the military. I find it even harder to imagine myself not being an officer, and instead some civilian working a desk job. And as an officer I'm pretty sure you will work a desk job. But you'll be wearing a cool uniform smoking a cigar most likely, that wins hands down ;)

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
Correct me if I'm wrong but the only college commissioning program I can think of that I know you can get a 100% guarantee SNA contract is PLC. Of course you'll only get that contract with a competetive gpa, astb score, pft. As well as making it through ocs, followed by tbs. Then finally you get the challenge of flight school.

Navy OCS will give you the same "guaranteed" spot. You apply for the designator you want and go to OCS knowing what designator the Navy expects you to commission with. The same caveats that apply to Navy SNA spots apply to Marine SNA spots i.e. NAMI whammy, not hacking it, etc.

Facepalm

SNA hopeful
I had the opportunity to enroll in NROTC when I first came to Embry-Riddle almost three years ago. One of the lieutenants told me that my best bet was OCS since I was already using the GI bill and wasn't searching for any financial assistance. One of the cool things about applying for OCS that I originally had no idea about is that you can apply up to a year prior to your graduation date. That's what I did, was selected now I'm just waiting to finish up school. I have zero regrets.

TexasTools

None
... I did read a comment in the NROTC section that as a Marine option you gan get a guaranteed flight spot... only college commissioning program I can think of that I know you can get a 100% guarantee SNA contract is PLC...

The Marine-option NROTC students can apply for a flight contract during NROTC. If they get it, then after successfully completing TBS, they'll fulfill the flight contract, whether it be Pilot or NFO. If they don't get it, then they just keep going through NROTC and find out their job at TBS just like everyone else.
I'm not a Marine, but I had 2 roommates in college trying to get a flight contract. One did, the other didn't.

jugg34naut

pilot
Ocs grad, currently in flight school. Go rotc. I loved ocs (read what is done for me because it's not a lovely place) but wish I'd have known more about nrotc in hs. Paying college debt sucks. I had to work my ass off part time while my wife and I finished college and had a kid. It's possible but you'll learn to make the Navy work for you as often as possible. Again, 100 percent grateful for a program like ocs, hate the 1000$ bill out the door every month between my wife and I.