• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ROTC or OCS for a Flight Spot

Eric-97

I have dreamed of becoming a pilot in the military and that is all I want to do. I was wondering what my best bet would be. Go to ROTC and chance getting a flight spot or wait till after college and contract with a flight spot into OCS?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Considering ROTC (and Naval Academy) is a primary commissioning source, your chances of getting a flight spot (assuming you are Physically Qualified) are higher than going OCS. OCS fills the shortage gaps. There's a whole thread on this sight....try the search engine....it does work.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I made a similar decision a few years ago when I entered college. In HS I looked at ROTC programs and even though about applying to the Academy. Ultimately, I decided to go the OCS route for two reasons: 1) I didn't want to commit to either Annapolis or ROTC if there was a chance that I would not get a pilot slot due to being NPQed and 2) I wanted a "normal" college experience without having to worry about going to drill and PT sessions and having other military commitments.

I'm at peace with my decision. I think I would have had an amazing time in ROTC or at Annapolis, but I've seen many guys NPQ on here for things that you wouldn't even believe (i.e. someone saying they have a single glass of wine with dinner every night). If this happens at OCS, they will usually give you a choice between staying in or separating, because the Navy has not spent a lot of time or money on you at this point. If you are ROTC and took scholarship money, you might be forced to stay in and transfer to SWO, Intel, etc.

Bottom line: if it's pilot or bust and you are not hard up for tuition assistance from Big Navy, go OCS.

exNavyOffRec

If you are shit hot HS student then try for NROTC, having college paid for isn't bad, but if you are going to be not happy doing anything but being a pilot then you might go the OCS route, I have worked for/with several officers who went to the USNA or ROTC and wanted to be pilots but for one reason or another could not and were not happy, I have worked for/with others that had the same circumstance but were fine because they just wanted to serve.

Eric-97

If you are shit hot HS student then try for NROTC, having college paid for isn't bad, but if you are going to be not happy doing anything but being a pilot then you might go the OCS route, I have worked for/with several officers who went to the USNA or ROTC and wanted to be pilots but for one reason or another could not and were not happy, I have worked for/with others that had the same circumstance but were fine because they just wanted to serve.
Thank you everyone for your answers and help!

Is ROTC a wiser decision because pilots have a better chance of getting a flight spot, because OCS candidates get what is left over of the flight spots that were given to Academy students and ROTC students, is this true? Also, what if I am just enrolled in the ROTC class and do not take any financial support? Then am I still obligated? Thank you so much for your information and help!

exNavyOffRec

Is ROTC a wiser decision because pilots have a better chance of getting a flight spot, because OCS candidates get what is left over of the flight spots that were given to Academy students and ROTC students, is this true? Also, what if I am just enrolled in the ROTC class and do not take any financial support? Then am I still obligated? Thank you so much for your information and help!

OCS makes up for shortfalls in USNA and ROTC, however the flight spots don't go to USNA, then ROTC, then OCS, if you look at the data over several years the Pilot/NFO/SWO percentages are essentially even from all commissioning sources.

The biggest thing is with OCS if you have a good ASTB score odds are you will get a pilot spot, and if you don't you aren't obligated as you can choose to only apply for pilot, but with ROTC if you develop some medical condition that prevents you from aviation but not commissioning you are still obligated, or if you don't get qualifying scores on the ASTB you aren't going to be a pilot, my NRD was close to a NROTC unit and so we administered the ASTB for the midshipmen wanting to go aviation, and many did not get qualifying scores, just the way it is.

What are your HS stats? NROTC is highly competitive.

Eric-97

OCS makes up for shortfalls in USNA and ROTC, however the flight spots don't go to USNA, then ROTC, then OCS, if you look at the data over several years the Pilot/NFO/SWO percentages are essentially even from all commissioning sources.

The biggest thing is with OCS if you have a good ASTB score odds are you will get a pilot spot, and if you don't you aren't obligated as you can choose to only apply for pilot, but with ROTC if you develop some medical condition that prevents you from aviation but not commissioning you are still obligated, or if you don't get qualifying scores on the ASTB you aren't going to be a pilot, my NRD was close to a NROTC unit and so we administered the ASTB for the midshipmen wanting to go aviation, and many did not get qualifying scores, just the way it is.

What are your HS stats? NROTC is highly competitive.

Eric-97

I currently have a 3.4 cumulative GPA. I have wrestled for 3 years now. One year on FS and the other two years I wrestled on Varsity. I have also been in the Young Marine's program for eight years; it is like an ROTC program. I understand that ROTC is highly competitive however; I read that you can simply enroll in the program as a class.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
3.6 + GPA and a 1150 + SAT score are the benchmarks for what is considered average for an NROTC scholarship.

OCS vs. NROTC each have their ups and downs. NROTC will cover full tuition so you can be debt-free when you graduate, however if Pilot doesn't work out you'll still be obligated to serve as an officer. OCS, well you're going to have to wait a while before you can apply, but you won't be obligated to anything until you're selected. I wouldn't make a decision based off of what gives you the better opportunity of selection.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

Understand that if you do well in college, can do well on the ASTB, and are physically qualified, then there will eventually be a pilot spot that you can fill via OCS. If they are full for the fiscal year, you'll just have to wait a little longer until your application goes to the board. If you start applying in your senior year of college, you have plenty of time to apply (and strengthen your package to reapply if you are not selected) until the age limit of 27.

This decision should boil down to whether you:

A) Wish to serve in the Navy in any designator and would like the Navy to pay for college OR
B) Only wish to serve as a pilot or NFO and are okay with paying for college yourself.

If A, go NROTC. If B, go OCS.

azguy

None
I understand that ROTC is highly competitive however; I read that you can simply enroll in the program as a class.

Frankly, the big advantage to ROTC is the free degree, free room/board (at some schools), and the guaranteed job the day you graduate. I know I wasn't focused on that kind of thing in high school, but I want to at least bring it to your attention now. If your parents can pay, that's a different story. Either way, it's very nice to be in your early/mid 20s (and beyond) with zero debt, allowing you to save, invest, travel, and whatnot, while your buddies are making a hefty loan payment every month for 10+ years!

In terms of the "enjoying college" argument always made by the OCS crowd, ROTC stuff occupies 5 hrs/week. That's five hours per week for free college. If you can't manage that and still enjoy yourself at college, you're doing something wrong. Not to mention, I sure enjoyed hanging out my senior year, not worried about resumes, interviews, applications, boards, Pro-Rec, OCS, or any other reindeer games, knowing that I'd be getting commissioned (and paid) the day that I graduated.

For what it's worth- and this is purely anecdotal- I didn't go aviation, but everyone I knew in ROTC that wanted to fly got to go to Pensacola. Some had to pay for LASIK out of pocket, some had to run around to different doctors and get waivers for stupid stuff, but anyone who wanted it got it when all was said and done.

leo20307

Rhinos
None
In terms of the "enjoying college" argument always made by the OCS crowd, ROTC stuff occupies 5 hrs/week. That's five hours per week for free college. If you can't manage that and still enjoy yourself at college, you're doing something wrong. Not to mention, I sure enjoyed hanging out my senior year, not worried about resumes, interviews, applications, boards, Pro-Rec, OCS, or any other reindeer games, knowing that I'd be getting commissioned (and paid) the day that I graduated.

This. Absolutely this.
Yeah, you may not get to do "No-Shave November" and might have to get up early once or twice a week. Worth it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thirded.

But at the end of the day, there's no guarantee for that flight spot at the end of the 4 (or 5) years. It was worth the risk to me.

Also keep in mind that even after you commission from either source and get selected for aviation, there's still fun little things that can NPQ you, so there's really no guarantee either way.

Arnold1234

Frankly, the big advantage to ROTC is the free degree, free room/board (at some schools), and the guaranteed job the day you graduate. I know I wasn't focused on that kind of thing in high school, but I want to at least bring it to your attention now. If your parents can pay, that's a different story. Either way, it's very nice to be in your early/mid 20s (and beyond) with zero debt, allowing you to save, invest, travel, and whatnot, while your buddies are making a hefty loan payment every month for 10+ years!

For what it's worth- and this is purely anecdotal- I didn't go aviation, but everyone I knew in ROTC that wanted to fly got to go to Pensacola. Some had to pay for LASIK out of pocket, some had to run around to different doctors and get waivers for stupid stuff, but anyone who wanted it got it when all was said and done.

Can't you enroll in ROTC as a class? I know I would still have to pay for college however; would it be smarter then waiting until after college?

Arnold1234

Thirded.

But at the end of the day, there's no guarantee for that flight spot at the end of the 4 (or 5) years. It was worth the risk to me.

Also keep in mind that even after you commission from either source and get selected for aviation, there's still fun little things that can NPQ you, so there's really no guarantee either way.

If you are NPQ can you walk away from the contract?