• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Return to OCS after DOR?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you DOR from Recruit Training or OCS and actually get discharged it is almost certain that your reenlistment code on your DD214 will flag you as not desirable for enlistment. It isn't necessarily a show stopper. It depends on the circumstance of your leaving. The least damaging codes would allow you to come back after a waiver by higher authority. That just means they will take an application. The board may still have a big problem taking you back. Just remember, the Navy isn't having difficulty filling up OCS classes. Keep in mind that most of the references posted above of guys coming back or having the option to come back were DOR from an advanced training program, not an initial program like boot camp or OCS, or had not be discharged before they changed their mind. Check your DD-214 for the RE code at the bottom. Then look up it's meaning on the internet or call a recruiter. If you look it up on the internet make sure you are looking at Navy codes. They vary between the services.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Someone brought this quote to my attention, made by the poster of this thread:

Originally Posted by AppelCU
ahem...I'd like to offer the suggestion (as a former college program midn who got f***ed by CNET after my 3rd class year) that NROTC is not a good way to make officers. I am heading to OCS next week and I don't think I would know the first thing about being an officer if the Navy kept me in NROTC. I understand that OCS curriculum is similar to NROTC, but I feel that the people with whom I went through orientation week with freshman year who just commissioned a few weeks ago will not make good officers. Maybe it's me being bitter, maybe it's the individual people and it's not the same everywhere else, but I personally think that every ROTC midshipman should have to at least go to a shortened version of OCS like the Marines do. I'll step off my soapbox now. Thank you

So, you didn't make NROTC, not your fault apparently. Then you've determined NROTC mids don't make good officers and they should go through OCS. You then go to OCS and DOR. I stick with my first impression, you shouldn't be given another chance.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I know of / had dealings with one person that DOR'd and came back. The only reason he made it back was because he had a flag officer at bat for him.

I understand your argument as far as not being 'ready'. But there are plenty of people that show up to OCS not physically ready. (at least 10 in every class from what i've seen).. They get filtered out during the in PFA and get put into H class. In H class they are brought up to an acceptable level of fitness and classed up. I've seen people shed 20+ lbs and drop 3-4 minutes off their run time. But they never quit.

Everyone has different circumstances and reasons for taking their appropriate courses of action. I am not going to judge you for taking yours. However if you intend on making it back I think it'll take a much stronger argument than "I just wasn't ready when I showed up." Who knows though man. In reality the only way to see if you can make it back is to put an asston of hard work and a healthy dose of persistance into the task and see how it pans out. As was stated earlier; It'll be a tough, uphill battle. But if you want it bad enough you can probably make it happen.

Good luck.

BigRed389

None
For some reason, his blog is like a train wreck - I can't look away... Found this gem:

Let's see, Navy Reserve -> Navy AD -> USCG -> USMC -> Army -> ???

Twenty Bucks says this guy ends up serving his country in the TSA and complaining that they don't adequately utilize his English degree...

If you thought that was good, then there's these opening gems:

"Making that first call took a lot of gumption on my part. In doing so, I saw myself entering a whole new world. Obviously, serving one's country takes a great deal more courage than picking up the phone, but I wasn't even there yet. The fellow on the other end (destined to be my recruiter and introduction into military service) was in his late 30's, half-black, half-latino, well-built, and an all-around nice guy. I didn't find out most of this stuff till later, but he impressed me off the bat with his commanding voice. The opening salvo went something like this:"

"I got in the car, and the Petty Officer started taking me on base. What a thrill. You have to understand. I'd only seen soldiers and sailors from a distance, in movies, and on TV. I had a great admiration and respect for members of the military, and had never so much as said hi to one. And now, here I was.....in a car.....with a member of the armed services! And he was asking me questions! Imagine if a movie star started having a conversation with you."

Friggin' queer. :sleep_125
Clearly screwed up from day one.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Someone brought this quote to my attention, made by the poster of this thread:

Originally Posted by AppelCU
ahem...I'd like to offer the suggestion (as a former college program midn who got f***ed by CNET after my 3rd class year) that NROTC is not a good way to make officers. I am heading to OCS next week and I don't think I would know the first thing about being an officer if the Navy kept me in NROTC. I understand that OCS curriculum is similar to NROTC, but I feel that the people with whom I went through orientation week with freshman year who just commissioned a few weeks ago will not make good officers. Maybe it's me being bitter, maybe it's the individual people and it's not the same everywhere else, but I personally think that every ROTC midshipman should have to at least go to a shortened version of OCS like the Marines do. I'll step off my soapbox now. Thank you

So, you didn't make NROTC, not your fault apparently. Then you've determined NROTC mids don't make good officers and they should go through OCS. You then go to OCS and DOR. I stick with my first impression, you shouldn't be given another chance.

Given the post time of this gem, I'm going to assume that this flame is a past thing, he is over it, ready to be proactive,and continue to give him the benefit of the doubt. If not....

[*Insert long block 'o' text I was originally typing up for him full of anecdote ridden cliché’s about hardwork, determination, and proving yourself to yourself here*]

Otherwise, nevermind

ames

"In the run-up to RLP (which is held in the 3rd week), I was getting called out a lot for stupid errors. They say first impressions are everything, and I must have made a horrible one. Once you get noticed in a bad way, they start watching you like a hawk, and they notice every mistake, big and small. Everyone makes mistakes, especially the first week ("Indoc Week"), and it's doubly difficult when you're the center of attention. Once RLP came around, it was more or less decided that I'd fail. And they also decided to make an example of me. Was my locker squared away? No. Did I deserve to pass? Probably not. But did I deserve the -16 I got? Hell no! They came into the room with the intention of giving me a legendary failure. Normally, the Drill Instructors beat you a bit during the inspection, but when my inspector came in, he pointedly said, "I'm not going to PT you. I want you to see all your hits.""

Whatever it was he did it doesn't really sound like he takes much responsibility for it. It comes off like everything was all subjective and while the DIs liked him the Officers did not. Out of curiousity, do many people attrite from the program?

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
it really gets good when he mentions what a great tool Dance Dance Revolution is as part of PT: "you don't feel it until you finish!".

That was followed by listing his daily PT schedule, with the game incorporated. The entire blog was as fascinatingly bad as the kid who made his own cartoon f ighter squadron.

i'd post the appropriate links but then someone else would be robbed of 3 minutes of the ir life. Where's the smiley with vomiting animation?

Huggy Bear

pilot
Reading his blog made me realize that it was 30+ minutes of my life that I can't get back. He seemed like the typical "think they're smarter than they are" kind of guys, that's in love with the idea of military service - but that doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to see it through.

I had a friend like that. He was always enamored with my career path. He would always talk about how lucky I was and how he was going to do the same, blah, blah. I didn't hear from him until several years after college. He had gotten in, taken a flight all the way to pensacola, and while at the pensacola airport quit and came home.

schwarti

Contributor
What I want to know is - how can someone who runs 3+ miles 5x/week run a 12:40 PRT? I did the damn thing without any prep and easily got a good high, and I'm as scrawny and out-of-shape as they come. (And we're in the same age bracket.)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Out of curiousity, do many people attrite from the program?
Involuntarily, NO. It takes a lot to actually get booted from OCS. The DIs are expert at getting the douch bags and dumb sh!ts to DOR. Douch or not, if you absolutely refuse to quit and are putting your heart into it, then it is unlikely you will simply get kicked out against your will. But if they target you, it can be a very very difficult existence.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
do many people attrite from the program?

I have no experience with Navy OCS so I generally keep my yap shut on the subject. However, from Marine OCS I can honestly say:

100% of people who quit attrite from OCS.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They came into the room with the intention of giving me a legendary failure.

"Sgt L" (as he calls himself now) at least has a bit of a clue on this aspect of his treatment. Agree that he takes more than most to clue into things....like being caught repeatedly in a WaWa in a working uniform outside main gate by Chief after Chief because he wanted a soda after a hard drill period of Dodge Ball (worth a read of his blog to see what he did on Drill Weekends).

BackOrdered

Contributor
it really gets good when he mentions what a great tool Dance Dance Revolution is as part of PT: "you don't feel it until you finish!".

That was followed by listing his daily PT schedule, with the game incorporated. The entire blog was as fascinatingly bad as the kid who made his own cartoon f ighter squadron.

i'd post the appropriate links but then someone else would be robbed of 3 minutes of the ir life. Where's the smiley with vomiting animation?

I've been on the wall as to whether defend his blog or call him a tool. This just tipped the scale into the tool category and destroyed the dial. Using DDR to prepare for OCS; of all the silly things I've heard this takes it.

I'm imagining him in full PFT-dress mode DDRing to "It's the final countdown" before OCS.

utak

My roommate at OCS caught "Sgt L" jacking off in the man's stall in Regiment, by this time he was in Student Pool. It wasn't the first time he was caught doing it. :tongue2_1

And I do admit, that RLP is a bit subjective (for those guys who haven't been through OCS and the horrors of RLP). One DI said it best, "God can put your locker together and I'll find more then 20 hits on it." If you get more then a 100 hits, there's something really really wrong with your reputation.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
That guy is a Complete Toolbag. His writing is long winded and circuitous. Get to the point already.