• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Return to OCS after DOR?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
IMO, I don't think you should get a second shot. Doesn't mean you won't but you earned a slot and for whatever reason, you weren't prepared. You wasted a slot for another. Time to move on and do something else. I wouldn't trust you again to not DOR.

JTD

"The meeting with the active duty recruiter was drastically different than the first time. First off, the obvious difference- I was no longer a wide-eyed civilian. I also showed up to the recruiting offices in uniform, though I should have chosen better. Since I didn't have my dress shoes at this point, the only uniform I could wear was my utilities. I realized you're not supposed to wear this off-base, but since this was a military building, I figured it wouldn't matter. Of course, I was wrong. The first thing the recruiter said was, "You know you're not supposed to wear those off-base, right?" He didn't make me change, or anything. A sale is a sale, I suppose. But the message was loud and clear (why I allowed myself to get caught at the WAWA after this is anyone's guess). "

This guys mixture of arrogance and stupidity is going to make for some very entertaining reading.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Very good points, all of you, but I really just want to know if it is even possible and if so, what are the necessary steps? all I can really say that when I reported to OTCP in June, I was neither physically nor mentally ready for what I was in for. If you want to know more, PM me.

I have heard of it happening. I have seen a couple people go back from attrite/DORs back into the program while they were still on location, haven't heard of it happening once you leave the command.
First if by some fiscal year miracle you were accepted and go up there, the gunnies would prey upon you.
Bottom line- if you couldn't deal with the brain-f*** of OCS how are you going to deal with real stresses such as SERE or Combat.
We were basically a pure avaition class when I went through OCS, one person got dropped each day for the first week and a half.
I trust the guys that I graduated with that they wouldn't f*** me when it gets to hard, and I hope I earned there trust.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Come on, now, don't hate if you haven't walked a mile in the other bastard's moccasins. There is such a thing as not being ready for a tough program the first time around, making the physical, mental, whatever changes you need to make, and taking another crack at it. Speaking from experience.

So, I'd say this to you: I don't know what the specific rules are for OCS, but just about anything in the Navy is waiverable. Just be prepared to get asked the same questions you've seen here. Why did you DOR before, and why won't it happen again? And don't expect a whole lot of sympathy, you've got a tough sale to make. Good luck.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's very true. A guy who attrited from my OCS class wound up going Army OCS. Who knows if he made it through, but we'd probably be better off if he didn't.

What is the story with this guy? Anything you can tell us about?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is the story with this guy? Anything you can tell us about?

You can read about his path to (and out of) OCS by way of enlisting in reserves as a college grad and then deciding to go active duty and then apply for OCS while still getting acclimated and trying to pass the PRT at Willow Grove on his blog. He showed up for Army OCS and was sent home because they had too many folks show up and actually had them compete to stay (heck of way to run a railroad). Looks like he'll get another shot though. He seems to like wearing utilities off base (got nailed repeatedly outside front gate at Willow Grove stopping at the WaWa after drills) so now he'll get his wish. BTW - he calls himself "Sgt L" now his ID card says E-5.

Lawman

None
We had a Marine OCS candidate DOR and get to come back. Its supposedly unheard of and they remind you of that daily, but his reasons for leaving were understandable. Basically about week 5 his wife wrote him a letter about how financially screwed they were (bills due, no money, farm being repo'd kinda deal) and when he explained it to the Platoon Cmdr as to why he needed out they fast tracked him without any grief. He was one of those "Expected to graduate" people so that went a long way to helping him get back. From what he explained to me (and this is the Marine side of things) there is a special selection board and waiver process for this kind of thing.

tiger84

LT
pilot
You can read about his path to (and out of) OCS by way of enlisting in reserves as a college grad and then deciding to go active duty and then apply for OCS while still getting acclimated and trying to pass the PRT at Willow Grove on his blog. He showed up for Army OCS and was sent home because they had too many folks show up and actually had them compete to stay (heck of way to run a railroad). Looks like he'll get another shot though. He seems to like wearing utilities off base (got nailed repeatedly outside front gate at Willow Grove stopping at the WaWa after drills) so now he'll get his wish. BTW - he calls himself "Sgt L" now his ID card says E-5.

Yeah, he was one of my roommates during the run up to his second RLP. He scored a -18 or something ridiculous on his first one and got kicked all the way back to the sea wall. Needless to say he didn't get a third shot. In general he was a giant shit bag and spent the time he should have been using to prep for RLP reading "fan mail" from his blog.

phrogpilot73

Yeah, he was one of my roommates during the run up to his second RLP. He scored a -18 or something ridiculous on his first one and got kicked all the way back to the sea wall. Needless to say he didn't get a third shot. In general he was a giant shit bag and spent the time he should have been using to prep for RLP reading "fan mail" from his blog.
Reading his blog made me realize that it was 30+ minutes of my life that I can't get back. He seemed like the typical "think they're smarter than they are" kind of guys, that's in love with the idea of military service - but that doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to see it through.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Gentleman25.jpg

Wake up.......the dream is over.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
The guys blog would entertain me and irritate me at the same time with his stupidity. He seems like a complete blowhard with his stories and seems to demean the DEP kids at times.

I saw his enlistment photos and is it normal to wear jeans and a baggy sweatshirt for that? I figured slacks and a collared shirt would be more appropriate. Not to bag on him (much) but also curious.

phrogpilot73

For some reason, his blog is like a train wreck - I can't look away... Found this gem:

Turd Burglar said:
I've made a huge decision. Instead of joining the Navy or the Coast Guard, I'll be joining the United States Marine Corps. I've already informed my recruiter, who was very helpful in expediting the change. Yesterday, I went to MEPs (for the third time) and chose MOS 4341- Combat Correspondent, with a ship date of June 20th, 2006. I'm really excited about the opportunity to be one of the FEW, the PROUD, the MARINES! So henceforth, this blog will be known as "Oorah the Blog."

Let's see, Navy Reserve -> Navy AD -> USCG -> USMC -> Army -> ???

Twenty Bucks says this guy ends up serving his country in the TSA and complaining that they don't adequately utilize his English degree...